[Suggestion] I want this game to succeed, and I need your help

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Champagon, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Champagon

Posted this in a different thread but I wanted input from others as well as Dev visibility for this one please let us hear your thoughts. This isn't for finger pointing, this isn't for flaming this is to help PS2 succeed.

As i have said in the past. SOE's best option currently in order to retain player interest. Garner new player support, and rebuild trust with existing and previous user base needs to take this game offline for a few and rework the CORE MECHANICS. They completely removed them when this game was released and we are now stuck with a watered down combination of COD/BF, and SOE is desperately (all in futility) trying to "fix" this game via piece meal. Which won't work because this game is in fact complex.
    It's like trying to change tires on a car while it's driving on the highway
    • New Weapons WON'T FIX THIS GAME
    • New Continents WON'T FIX THIS GAME
    • New Camo WON'T FIX THIS GAME
    • New Decals WON'T FIX THIS GAME
    • New Events WON'T FIX THIS GAME
    Reworked Core Mechanics WILL FIX THIS GAME

I apologize for sounding like a *******, but i am willing to seem like one to get my point across to the devs. Most of which are on Reddit (???)

This game needs to be taken offline for a few months while the CORE gameplay is reworked. But we all know that won't happen, not with PS4 release right around the corner.

Thoughts? Thank you
  2. HadesR

Now feel free to explain what you mean by " Core Mechanics " since it has different meaning to different people ..
    • Up x 6
  3. Silver Fox

This^

As much as I agree with you (about the reworked mechanics, that is), you sound like every politician ever - amazing generalities that will save the world, but no specifics.
    • Up x 1
  4. RHINO_Mk.II

Terrible idea. Half the people who you boot off the servers won't come back after a time period like that, not to mention that it's possible to develop new builds and then roll them out live when they are ready with only a few hours interruption of the continuous gameplay experience that is one of the selling points of PS2.
    • Up x 3
  5. DK22

Take the game down for months? :eek: Thats crazy talk!
  6. Champagon

Good callout, my apologizes for not clarifying

Core Mechanics as interpreted by Champagon

• Resources (Use and implementation)
    • Capture mechanics (Tower/Base/Continent)
    • Item Looting
    • Logistics(Infantry/vehicles/outfits)
    • Faction Traits
    • Certs (Cert Trees/Class Progression)
    • Vehicle Functionality (all Vehicles)
    • In game Advertising
    • Objective System (listed on the roadmap)

Thank you for your input but please refrain from flaming. The correction to my OP has been made

7. Champagon

Are you suggesting a parallel implementation of core game changes? If so how would YOU go about doing it? I am very interested in hearing ideas. What would you implement first as a priority?
  8. RHINO_Mk.II

I certainly wouldn't take down the game for months and screw over any paying customers I had who had purchased more than a month worth of membership at a time.
    • Up x 1
  9. Silver Fox

I think what he's saying is that you don't have to take the game down for such a long period of time to do this. My wife is a software developer, and her company uses switches to implement major code changes. The code is put in place, and then switched on, while the legacy code is switched off. The trick is to only add things that will not contradict the current workings of the system.

On that note, from your list, I would say that resource mechanics would be the best place to start. Combine that with "vehicle functionality" as you put it (not sure what you're thinking about there) and you should have a safe jumping off point.

Edit: Capture mechanics and the objective system seem like the next logical progression, wrapped up by an overhaul of logistics (gotta be a little more specific on that too please). Everything else seems like it could follow after in no particular order.
    • Up x 1
  10. Champagon

Sounds like a plan, what do you suggest to help PS2 succeed?
  11. RHINO_Mk.II

Planning to post this eventually, but it's a long list.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ikissyourface

13. quatin

The major problem with this game is stability. The current code has fatal errors and several quality of life bugs. (Crash to desktop, random lag, inconsistent character rendering, inconsistent hit detection (related to lag), ghost capping.) These are what turns off people more than anything else. There should not be any development, revamp or additions until these issues are resolved. PS2 is an unpolished product. This is perhaps the buggiest game I've played.

The content and mechanics of the game is actually just fine. The game is still fun, only if it was playable.
  14. Quiiliitiila

Faction uniqueness MUST be reworked. Oops, did I say reworked? I mean we actually need some faction uniqueness to begin with…

In my opinion as long as you have solid empires with diverse and different mechanics that go into playing them, you'll have a great base to work from. I think it'd bring people back to the game, encourage more people to join and make empire loyalty a thing again.
  15. Trudriban

So basically, scrap this current abortion and make Planetside 3?
  16. Corporate Thug

I think they need to rework the ways that we earn XP and stop giving out so much of it for free, for simple things like capturing a base whether it is defended or not. I also think they need to make vehicles specialize since we have so few of them and add a ton more variety and viability for vehicle weapons, as well as clear roles they could or should perform on the battlefield. Rework vehicle physics so they feel like actual vehicles, I hate pulling a tank and feeling like I'm playing MarioKart 64. I would like for infantry and vehicles to work hand in hand towards common goals and not simply have vehicles as a better tool to kill. Something like a generator that is shielded from everything except AP rounds and requires a substantial amount to take down but only after infantry destroyed the secondary generator that allowed access to it (just a quick thought/example). Objectives for vehicles, like king of the hill style vehicle capture points at some of the more open bases and more bases like the interlink facility that allowed great infantry fights that are harder to camp than tech plants and biolabs.
  17. Leftconsin

Last SOE game I played was Star Wars Galaxies. They actually did do this. They gutted the game and totally reworked the core mechanics.

Star Wars Galaxies soon died after that.
    Star Wars Galaxies Emulator, a fan made project to keep the original game going, is still live and as I write this has 1909 players on it's server.

Taking the servers down for months and coming back with a new game will kill this game. I for one won't come back. People will forget about the game. It will die.
  18. Quiiliitiila

Star Wars Galaxies Emulator is still around because it's really the only Star Wars MMO RPG out there that is even SLIGHTLY good. I would bet serious money that if someone made a Star Wars MMO RPG the right way you'd quickly see those 1909 players dry up like a puddle in the desert. Save some diehard fanboys of course, but then again all games have them.

Am I saying that PS2 could survive a massive reboot? Not sure. I'd like to think it could if done right. Honestly, if everything we propose was done to change/fix the game, it'd be almost a new product. People wouldn't come back to "this" PS2, but to an entirely new game with new mechanics/concepts/skills/faction flavors/etc.

It would probably benefit from the devs just saying "JK everyone! Thanks for playing our open Beta, now give us a month or two to take your feedback and work on fixing the game!"

I know I'll still be here, this game in a broken state is still one of the best FPS MMOs out there. I get the feeling quite a few people would come back too, just to see the changes and then end up staying when they found how awesome it became.

But, again. This'll never happen, because the devs will never do this. It's almost an impossible battle to get them to listen to anything we say, even when they ask for feedback. Look at ZOE.

I remain pessimistically optimistic,
    -Q
  19. BiggggBRIM

Care to elaborate what you think is wrong with them? I have my opinions, but at this point it just feels like you're asking me to do your homework.
  20. Degenatron

This list is still incredibly vague. The only thing that really is a feature that you could say "I understand what he means by that" is Item Looting. But that could also be anything from "Scrap the whole class system and go back to PS1 inventory system" to "You can only pick up an enemy gun if it is valid for your class> or "You can only scavenge med kits and other common pool items - still with class restrictions".

If you are going to make suggestions to the game:

1. Do it in the right forum. Protip: This isn't it.
    2. Make compartmentalized suggestions.
    3. Be extremely specific in the changes you feel need to be made.

Not to toot my own horn, but - TOOT!:

[Suggestion] Refining the Implant System

The Neutral Zone System

[Suggestion] Underslung Heavy Weapons (Return of the Chaingun)

[Suggestion] Auraxis World Connectivity, Home Continent Modifications, Warpgate Capture

[Suggestion] Please allow us to re-equip our vehicles at ammo towers

[Suggestion] How I would fix Planetside 2
    (the only one I didn't put in the proper forum.)

That's how you Do Work, Son.
    • Up x 2