I used VS SMG's for the first time ever...

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mustarde, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Jawarisin

Got enlightned.

This is aimed directly at you Mustarde, and sorry for the others, I won't be part of that conflict.

Personnaly, how SMG's go is overall: Cyclone>Eridani>Armistice.
    Simply because of the higher possible dmg output of the cyclone, and how it performs better at range. However, I'm a true faithful VS, and my favorite weapon still is the Eridani.

You are now holding in your hands a weapon most players feel sucks. The sirius is like a copy of the blitz basically, check it out for yourself, but I wouldn't expect too much.

The reason why everything dies is for one: No bullet drop, if you're accurate, it will hit true and you most likely aim for the head, which is what 99% players don't do (chest wins).

As for my personnal favorites, if you really like it, I suggest you try it with those few attachments, I've added my impression of them too.

1- SIGHT: Your choice of sight (x1 sight is the best in my opinion, I don't aim farther anyways.... such a clean sight too.... vanu technology!)
    2- Soft Point Ammunition.
    3- Silencer (I don't care if peoples like flash suppressor or whatever, go to hell! Silencer is perfect; also got to remember that since you got no bullet drop, you're only loosing velocity, no bullet drop whatsoever for you!)

4.1- Adv/laser sight - It becomes a sweet little gun where it's fun to murder peoples in their back. Although it does usually only kill 1-2 peoples while hip-firing, short reload compensate. I liked it a lot, gives off a nice feeling when you're panic-firing.

4.2- Extended mags - I never really felt I needed it. Although it did sometime save me from reloading and got me that kill. Combined with the reload speed, it's pretty sweet, but I feel like it's only trying to make a sirius 2.0 while not being as effective.

4.3- Foward grip - This one you have to try for yourself... The default hipfire of the Eridani is already good as it is, and helps not over-aiming. But the ADS.... You know when you said "Everything on your screen dies"? Well even stuff out of your screen will die now... It's my personnal favorite with the Eridani, after using it as my first smg.
    As a favor to me (whom you don't know) and to yourself, you should try it. I'd like feedback of how this worked for you too :).

My little post-parting advice or reminder, however you wish to see it, is to aim directly on the head of the person. If you played TR mostly, maybe (MAYBE) you got into the habbit of aiming a little higher than the head because of that bullet drop. You'd have to see for yourself about that one.

PS: I'd really appreciate feedback on the Foward grip if you decide to give it a try, or if you don't why so. It's always nice to see if a post's been heard.
    • Up x 1
  2. DeadliestMoon

Really? You want people to hear the cloaking sound and (most likely) silenced SMG sound of one infiltrator over explosions, ally cloaking, call outs, driving/flying vehicles, and gunfire?

A lot of people play on low settings, where there is no shimmer.

The class is meant for stealth, you arent suppose to be getting hit anyway, having less sheilds fotifies that notion.

Yep, everyone is lazy. Even the ally infiltrators who are suppose to be providing radar. Which is all to common in actual play.
  3. Tanchester

ERROR 404 - Argument Not Found
    • Up x 1
  4. justlooking

Yes open your ears. Even though the chaos of battle makes it hard to pinpoint the exact location of the infiltrator, if he/she is very near to you, you should hear enough to up your paranoia level.

So instead of people upgrading their machines or waiting for SOE to perhaps work some magic with their code, they call for a weapon to be removed from a class all together?

Infiltrators less shields is amongst the reasons why they're pretty much free certs to many people.
    There's people who actually understand how this goes and there's people who say "you arent suppose to be getting hit anyway". So why did we get the option for medkits? Novelty item? You think that's for people that don't know how to play the class? I don't know what else to tell you.
  5. Booface

Yeah, most VS infiltrators prefer the Sirius because it still kills about as fast at close range and has the huge magazine (so you can put a laser on it without worrying about only having 25 shots). But I've been telling my outfitmates since the beginning that, as long as you can aim and use cover to give you space to reload, the Eridani with a laser is way better.

It's pinpoint accurate with the laser out to a surprising distance, does slightly more damage, and you can nullify its weaknesses just by using the environment and cloak to give you space to reload after every kill or two (or three). Folks just want to charge forward shooting their gun with an endless magazine, might as well just play Heavy for that then. I suppose if you're not really confident in your aiming you might want the Sirius. The Eridani though is an amazing weapon for hit and run.

That being said, you might be seeing such a huge difference because the Eridani is more similar to the NC SMG than the TR equivalent. I always thought the TR SMGs are kind of bad compared to VS and NC equivalents, to be honest, especially the Hailstorm.
  6. salembeats

The Armistice seems to be more controllable at range on PTS, not sure whether it's my graphic settings, placebo effect, or whatnot -- but the starting CoF seems to be a degree lower.

I have an outfit member who defected from Vanu to join us, and he originally didn't like the Armistice. It's basically the optimal shotgun-range SMG, and gets geometrically less effective with each meter of distance added. Only problem with that is that everyone has shotguns these days. :D
  7. Ripshaft

The sirius isnt nearly as effective in the right hands as the eridani, it's just that most people lack the level of competency to get the disproportionate benefit from the sx5.

I think alot of your amazement will go away with longer usage of the weapon - while I lack too much experience with the other faction smgs, my understanding is that the eridani sx5 and the cyclone are both in a class all of their own, and very competitive with eachother in similar respects. It's not that the other smgs are inferior, simply that you will see less benefit if you're actually able to use the weapons properly, which 99% of people will not. The gap isn't huge, but it's quite significant for experienced players.

Though it's not like you'll ever tire of the weapon, it's definitely a beast.
  8. Get2dachoppa

I don't really see how no bullet drop is that big of a benefit on an SMG. On a scout or semi-auto sniper rifle, sure...but an SMG?
  9. David Lancaster

It beats the armistice hands down.
  10. Jawarisin

It's what makes me snipe that enemy 20 meters away straight in the head and not in the upper chest. The problem is that with silencer AND soft point ammunition, the ammos become extremely slow, thus getting a lot of bullet drop.
  11. iller

You forgot to mention ADS strength versatility too. Almost 90% of my deaths to all Vanu Infiltrators is either Sirius or Eiridani users exclusively (when it's not the PDW which is also broken).... this is even while playing HA & Medic who should be ripping them apart at specific ranges. So far the only thing I've found that consistently beats them is the Mauler. ....Which just comes from me being a total shogun w***** ever since the days of Doom1 I guess. But at any other range....yeah, SMG's have a serious design conflict and I've been saying that for 2 months straight.
  12. Jawarisin

I really don't want to be rude here, please understand me, but the reason why they mow you down is you're not good ennough compared to them. As a heavy, I can usually take 2 infiltrators head on easily. There is a reason they are nerfing the shield, it's literally a press-to-win button. As for the PDW, I found it terrible. Yes I did play with it, I auraxiumed it, and still think it's terrible. Now obviously, if you die to infiltrators, it's going to be by some kind of smg, I rarely if ever saw an infiltrator run around with the beamer, claiming it to be the most effective weapon.

PS: You saying something for 2 month straight doesn't make it any more right.
    PS2: Aim for the head, infiltrators are extremely weak! They also give out big sound indicators, that tell you their position as well as their faction. You can locate their darts and such also, to help you guesstimate where they are.
  13. iller

And you're not good enough at arguments to tell me what I'm bad at.
    Mustarde said the Accuracy at range on them is crazy. I agreed. I was just backing up what he said &You're no match for Mustarde....

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428059527821069297/stats
    You obviously are very biased as those 2 guns are your primary source of Certs. GG.
  14. Jawarisin

Great job mate, you got my score affected by when I started playing, You probably saw my most recent NC alt too, but you wouldn`t want to put those stats out, especially since I`m in the S category. Anyways, everything I said is still true, you being pissed about it doesn`t chance much.

Also my stats (spm) are above average considering I've never been a member and have never used any boost but free ones. anyways... I said I wasn't going to fight over pointless stuff, so I won't argue with you anymore, you know the facts.
  15. justlooking

I'm having a hard time believing that you seem to have such of a problem dealing with smg infiltrators especially while playing as a HA. Either you're exaggerating, play on low, play with musc on, or you clearly have some L2P CQC issues you need to sort out. For alert HAs and even for medics (with the type of weapons they have) smg infils are pretty much easy certs.
  16. Vostogon

Eh, so far as the Eridani is concerned i prefer using ex-mags on it. It's got a very small mag and every bullet can often count and it tends to work best with ADS. If you want to be hipfiring, use the Sirius. Putting an advanced laser on the Eridani feels like a waste to me honestly.

They're both very good guns though, just slightly different ways of using them.
    Eridani tends to prefer close range.
    Sirius tends to prefer point blank.

Both can play well enough in the others playground, but tend not to do it quite so well.
  17. Nakar

No bullet drop has an advantage in two situations, roughly:
    • Long-range weaponry. That's why the BASRs don't have it, but it is a nice advantage on the Nyx, Eidolon, and Phantom.
    • Low velocity. SPA + Suppressor causes massive bullet drop because bullet drop appears to be a factor of velocity. Put both on a Blitz and the stream gets droopy pretty quick. Put both on a Sirius and all you have to do is lead more as the bullets don't drop at all. For VS weapons the only disadvantage to a Suppressor is the loss of damage range (which affects everyone) and the loss of velocity. Your shot is slower, but you don't have to adjust your firing angle like TR or NC do.
    Having used the Sirius to great effect at midrange, it's actually quite a nice perk on SMGs. Basically the Eridani, Sirius, Nyx, Eidolon, and SASRs are the only weapons that truly benefit from no bullet drop, but they do benefit from it.
  18. Ivalician

Reading all this ****, goddamn I wish I had purchased Eridani when it was on sale like two weeks ago. :x
  19. RockPlanetSide2

There might be 1 kill per hour that you would not have gotten because of "no-bullet-drop" on an SMG, it is an irrelevant stat overall on an SMG. At the "no-bullet-drop" range your SMG is already doing about zero damage and most likely you are just a fool for wasting ammo and showing your position. Nobody should buy into that crap at all. Scout rifles are a completely different story.

The Eridani is just awesome, and it should be because VANU are not throwbacks. Superior technology, superior results. :D
  20. iller

Elaborate on what you mean by a hard time.... b/c I don't think I said anything of the sort.

What I said, specifically in reference to Mustarde's point, centered around the 20m+ range, or in a few cases I've been subjected to (like a BR1 who had TERRIBLE accuracy overall when I checked his stats), well past that. Obviously not EVERY fight takes place at this range (I win all the Shotgun ones for instance). Nor do I lose most "snipe duels" against any other class at that longer range. Flukes or not, I'm noting those instances b/c they happened more than once. My accuracy is fine and my weapon setup always matches those ranges too b/c I'm very patient. But when I do lose to any infiltrator at that 20m-50m range, and they're using a "CQC weapon" at long range which just so happens to work very well .... ????

What is so difficult to understand about that? How does that in any way call for Learn to Play talk? The SMG's I listed ARE really accurate at that range, otherwise I wouldn't lose one single ranged "duel" when using the NC1 guass or Guass Saw with Advanced Grip and Compensator. Something is happening, that should not be happening. And my performance is not what's on trial here. Overanalyzing it won't shed any more light on this. The discussion is about the uncanny versatility of these things -- and possibly a side tangent asking why they're still always getting beaten by Shotguns despite their niche supposedly being CQC.

Fun little exercise here for you on Objective reasoning if you still don't agree.... Look at that last Profile I linked. Mr Badass there would have you believe they're balanced right? ....Okay look at his accuracy with it, It's 33% impressive right? .... Is he just really accurate? Possibly ... but scroll down and then look at his accuracy with the Orion. ... something doesn't add up here.