I think my 8 year old knows more about the game than most people playing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by {joer, Feb 8, 2013.

1. {joer

Ah everyones favorite story, things someone elses kid says (thats sarcastic btw).

But in this case I'm going to share with you his observation while I was playing PS2.

I was driving a lightening into a base the VS zerg was starting to overwhelm. I spawned 2 bases back so I wasn't there yet. He says....

"Be sure to go off roading so you don't hit any mines."
    "Most people put mines on the road, only smart people would put them off road."
    "And I don't think many smart people play this game."

Soon after while the VS zerged the base and we were overwhelmed I was shooting many BR 20+s through the spawn shield.

"Why are they letting you do that?"

I don't know son, I don't know.
    • Up x 17
  2. Compass

No one puts mines on roads.

Right?
  3. Flix

Hey..that big generator over there is doing strange sounds...lets empty a mag into it...hm..it doesnt show a healthbar like EVERYTHING in this game...but WAIT..the sound changed...lets keep shooting. Woaaaa the sound seems realy dire now..just one more mag and i kill it!!!!
    How extreemly DUMB must a player be to NOT get how this generatorgame works? I mean..ok if you are BR 1-5 maybe you ahvent seen one untriggered or something. But BR15-20 and higher? Do Those guys wanna tell me that they never seen a untriggered generator and kept shooting it until someone came by to trigger it?!
    • Up x 3
  4. 13lackCats

I think your kid wanted to know why SOE promotes shield matador'ing, not why the people were getting killed.
    • Up x 1
  5. Xind

Smart Kid. Send him to the TR, we need more Commissars.
    • Up x 4
  6. Kaon1311

I never drive on roads unless i have too, and i hate driving over bridges, thats on obvious place to put mines.

What faction does your son play on? I need a Vulcan gunner! lol
    And when i see people getting shot at through the sheild and standing in the open, i think, "ah must be a new player" but over half the time they are over BR20. If they havent learnt that basic by now, there is no hope.
  7. CoffeeBreak

The reason I personally didn't understand how the generator works was because of my first time in beta.

I came to a generator as part of a zerg and about 30 people were unloading mag after mag into it. I saw a brief "hold E" message on my screen before I got gunned down by those killing the generator raid boss.

Not until sometime after launch did I actually walk up to one again and click/hold E on it.
    • Up x 1
  8. Chipskream

How does an 8-y/o know about mines and how they work...god damn and you people complain about our youth.
    • Up x 3
  9. Aslandav

*cough* ...and you agree to this comment of his?...I am sure that "don't" was mistakenly used in that sentence.
  10. Flix

That still let my question stand in the room...did you just unloaded on every generator you find until someone primed it? I mean there is nothing happen if no one does it.
    By the way besides me thinking that shooting it is dumb and gets a TK from me because...i get the TK anyway due to explosion and that at least gets me satisfaction in adition to TK...I totaly DETEST HA doing it..because they use the launcher...killing everybody who stands nearby and preventing the hacking!! -.-
  11. Sulsa

OP, that's hilarious.
    My 8 year old has started writing PS2 comics.

I remind him constantly that they aren't appropriate for school... I just can't wait for that phone call...
  12. CoffeeBreak

I was talking about beta when a lot of people were playing for their very first time. Does a server still have people that shoot at generators?
  13. haldolium

lol

indeed... happens too often still with BR10+ ppl.

Though despite some people acting stupid, PS2 most def failed to educate people proper. I still learn new stuff every now and then since the game currently is learning by playing instead of learning by getting a good tutorial/official information on it at the start. Yeah I know, you could watch a hundred hours of youtube videos... thats a nasty workaround though for any game IMO. It *is* possible to design any game to be understood completely by the player just through the design itself and/or by proper help lecture (inside the game, that is. Paper is yesterday, PDF too)

Given that you're unable to do "learning by playing" for most items without spending massive amount of money into the game right away it is a very long process to get to know everything.

And that doesn't even include all the tricks, "exploits" or neat little tactics you can do.

All in all, I wouldn't blame players that much. It's a long process to really get a grip of how PS2 works.
    • Up x 1
  14. Flix

Everytime I´m not the first of a mob getting to a generator I see ppl shooting it so..yes there are still plenty. I also killed some of the other factions standing infront of a primed generaotr and shooting it. Was funny to knive throu them from behind one by one.
  15. {joer

I was thinking of setting up my old computer so he could Vulcan for me. Especially now that they "fixed" the prowler bug and its back to near worthless AV.
  16. TheEvilBlight

8 year old kids were about halfway to marriage and a family in frontier times, and worked and learned a heck of a lot more about life than Adult-In-Moms-Basement.
  17. MarlboroMan-E

My kids have learned to recognize whether I got killed by a sniper or scatmax based on the expletive I use. Can't wait till my boy is old enough that my wife will let him play with me.
    • Up x 2
  18. Xaturas

Smart person would put mines on road, bridge, ammo tower, or any kind of bottleneck.

Yeah I'm smart I'm gonna go to this random offroad place and place my mines and wait for next 5 hours for someone to drive there. Or I go here place my mines and 10-30 minutes later rack up kill (if not <1min)

He wasn't really smart there. Driving off road is smart because no one want to waste 150 resources for useless placed mines. Placing off road mines is like playing lottery, you may win something but most of the time you will loose.

Shooting at people running around and dying all the time is another thing.
  19. {joer

If the zerg is coming you put them on the road.
    If you want to kill the BR10 medic in a vanguard, you put them on the road.
    If you want to kill the BR52 you put them slightly off the road in the most likely place for a tank.

I drive down roads only when I have to or when someone is in front of me clearing the way (unless I have mineguard on).

His point was if you want to get a smart person, put them where smart people go.
  20. Takara

It's true....the current status of tank mines in the game forces you to put them places most likely to get a kill or simply use them as c4. :-( I still think they need to make tank mines more like they were in ps1 you can lay 12 of them but they do 1/4th the damage they used to then require they be placed several feet away from each other. This would have been a much better way of helping infantry against vehicles then the annihilator. Making mine fields was always very intimidating and forced tanked to stay at a standoff ish distance for infantry to fight back.