I really only enjoy player made base fights. Defending and attacking.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OSruinedPS1, Apr 8, 2023.

1. OSruinedPS1

I love building a base that's so well defended attackers end up rage suiciding the place or pocket OS'ing it which always gets me rolling my eyes at the cheese. But when my nicely built base gets glaive/flailed it's always, "well played" to the opponent. Bases are defensive fieldworks designed to give infantry a local tactical advantage, and artillery was invented to take out defensive fieldworks just as god intended.

I even enjoy attacking an impenetrable enemy base, because those fights last long enough for me to plan out my counter-attack base. It can sometimes take an hour to build a counter-attack base with flail/glaive, and player made bases at say the Crown or the Ascent are the only battles that last longer than those lame/boring/eyeroll 2 minute pop dumps. Many interesting things can happen in that hour. I can run into a counter-counter base to my counter-base. I can run into enemy ants. The front could move uncomfortably closer to my base before I'm finished. I can run into that 1 enemy infantry that has made it his life's mission to destroy my base.

Dev bases are boring. They're all shotgun conventions with no dominant lanes of fire, buildings are swiss cheese, vehicles play no role and battles last only 2 minutes if there's any battle at all. oooooooooh weeeeeeeeeeeee
  2. AuricStarSand

TBH I never enjoyed getting flailed and glaived. When I use to build. Just means every solo builders get owned by every other builder who has a buddy with him.

1 verse 2 = person 1 gets dominated everytime, every hour, every month.
    I never said " well played " after 2 people just jumped me and all my work.

I don't believe silo vs silo is sweet. If they want to build more open fields then sure. Yet OS verse OS & glaive verse person who doesn't have a glaive buddy, needs to end. If they want to give more reasons for infantry to attack built bases, sure. Anything other than silo vs silo.

I'd even prefer " someone having to kill my skyshield with their infantry & os me, over getting glaive os'ed. Not that I really want to get os'ed at all. Then it's just a rush to have to harvest, build, AND attack the enemy silo before they nuke you & vise versa. Some nuke race, which has nothing to do with defending your base verse infantry & tanks.

As for dev bases, they haven't really gone wild with their designs. Wish they made some random designs, towers with mostly stairs and no doors, just stairs only. Bases with jump pads. Shattered Warpgate jungles. Rock Bridges. Nature mixed with base designs & not just door holds.

I'm looking at you o.o Oshur. Everyone would have enjoyed Oshur more, if instead of Tridents and Interlinks, they just built Jungle Warefare shattered Warpgate style with spawn rooms for the jungle. & other elemental fortresses mixed. As if Astira & Pommel Gardens & Sage Labs ( the best 3 bases of Oshur) all mixed together with trees and tall grass, then Oshur would have won a ton of players. Instead we got.. small room door fights & empty plots of land for ant's.

I do like Pommel Gardens a ton. Boulder mazes are sweet.
    While not a fan of Mirror Bay, zero fan of more mid towers.
    Astira had promise if it had better sieging areas to park & boxes.
    & Sage Labs stone henge area and 2nd floor windows is pleasant.
  3. 23rd enigma

I agree. Hopefully the "nuke/flail race" meta will change when wrel updattes contruction. If the flail/glaive remain the same i can't see anyone enjoying an infantry fight @ a player base because the flail will be abused heavily in these fights. Once the flail goes off i just kills the fun and cheeses people even when they take cover.
  4. Demigan

“I love the design of PMB’s when you can make fighting there such a terrible experience people will hate you for it”.

Shouldn’t we design a system where both attacking and defending are, you know, FUN?

And lets look at it from the other side:
    “I love it to work and get a pocket OS then nuke some PMB player’s base. But I always roll my eyes when they start complaining in chat/the forums”.

You want someone else to be hating the gameplay you present to them, but once they do the same to you its a problem.
  5. 23rd enigma

What's the gameplay in clicking in a map? If pocket OS did more damage to deployed sundies (OHK themed) people would be complaining like no tomorrow. I agree some of the things wrel is doing as long as he keeps the OP construction artillery in check. The OS uplink is ok because it marks it on everyone's map. The AI turret and pain spires can be nerfed even if i think there are easy counters. Using decoy grenades (everyone forgets) to distract the Anti infantry turret and shooting pain spires(in the open) with silenced weapons to quietly destroy them. The perma one way shields are to op for defenders imo and maybe they should be tied to a short duration burst.
  6. Demigan

Depending on the outfit the gameplay can be the taking of the proper bases to generate the resources. I‘ve managed to capture busy bases while being the only one of my outfit online. Getting enough resources to pick up an OS took time, skill and planning in those cases.

Getting a PMB set up takes time and some planning, but not exactly great skill.

Is the pocket OS a horrible thing in the game? Oh absolutely and it should be heavily altered or completely removed. But the construction system should also be heavily altered since its design encourages players like you to not just build bases no one wants to fight at but even gloat about how people hate playing with your bases.

Its a game, not a milsim. Its design should be focused on fun for both parties. Sure they could buff the Betel damage to 250 a shot and the VS would love it, but the people playing against it won’t. You want weapons that presents a challenge and players can find it fair if they got killed by one.
  7. 23rd enigma

Not if your an officer in one the quick invite / zerg outfits. just go have lunch and eventually your outfit will gather resources for you while you sit back and relax. why should these players get access to high amount of cap resources while noobs don't even know what an ANVIL is..
  8. Demigan

Ofcourse! Which is why the entire arsenal system needs to be thrown out of the window and its components used elsewhere. ANVIL’s for example would be a perfect way to give outpopped defenders access to vehicles without needing to somehow clear the vehicle pad and terminal enough for a vehicle push outwards.

That doesn’t take away that the current construction system isn’t good either. It needs to at least encourage fun fights and fit more with the regular base capture part of the game. Currently its more of a side-show that barely does anything for the main game.