I realized something

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alan Kalane, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Bonom Denej

Out of approximatively 250 hours into my characters, 190 of those were lone wolfing. I've played this game all by myself, never joined a squad, and I was really having fun. I joined an outfit recently to compare and renew my vision of this game, and this is now a complete different experience for me. The key word is different. Not better, not worse, just different. I don't know for sure if I'll stay in that outfit until I stop playing this game, but I easily see myself, maybe in 100 hours from now, leaving the outfit and going back lonewolf again because I like it.

But I won't disagree that this game is clearly not for lonewolfer, and I'm ok with this, and when lonewolfing, you just have to take that into account and pick the right fights. In the end, it's still outfits and good squad that capture bases, not really ghost capping individuals (especially not since the merges).
  2. Alan Kalane

I tried :(
    Not very succesful with it either.
    And I don't really consider myself a newbie since I'm BR 69 right now and I have a BR 20 TR alt.
    This is actually highly dependent on your leader. You see there are 3 kinds of leaders:
    1) Passive: sets a waypoint on the facility overrun by an allied zerg and says nothing on the chat(this is the worst)
    2) Objective-centered: focuses on taking objectives, tries his best to capture a base and often sends his men into a meatgrinder. The thing is, nobody cares about objectives since there's no meta in PS2.
    3) Fun-centered: focuses on improving the performance of his squad, even at the cost of a lost base. Makes achieving a higher KPH easier by working together to earn as much XP as possible while having fun. Because if you outsmart your opponent and get lots of kills in a short period of time it's fun, isn't it? (this is me when I lead...or at least I try to do so)

Yeah I also get high K/D sometimes.Last week I had K/D of 8.6 with a Marauder harasser after a 2 hour session. As I said I NEVER fall below 2 (until yesterday). Also that involves ABSOLUTELY no spawncamping as I'd rather die than have to stare at a glowing box for 5 minutes with a rather miserable KPH.
  3. Crator

I don't have an issue with it either... A lot of the things the OP lists can happen to anyone, lonewolf or not... I'm never really by myself when playing as I know how to follow other players in my empire and play alongside them. As long as you know how to follow your empire correctly then it shouldn't be an issue...
  4. FieldMarshall

Never really understood "murphy's law".
    It could happen that i that i become the best ps2 player in the world and president of soe, so it will happen?
    Well thats nice.

Anyway. I think the best way to reduce the "bad luck" factor is by experience/situational awareness and (sadly) lone wolfing.
    So you dont get yourself into a "bad luck" situation for following squad orders.
    I used to think i was decent. I died to similar situations while maintaining a ~3KD (hate to bring up kd, but its relevant to dying alot)
    Now, a year later i rarely die to random bad luck and usually finish 3hour sessions with 7.5-11+ without trying. Unless im playing with a squad.
    I have no idea what happened. Best guess i have is that i just got better, learned mechanics better, learned to flank, who to target first etc. and got better situational awareness.

That being said. I know people with 0.6 who die all the time, but are extremely valuable to the empire.
  5. Calisai

It's generally accepted as "Anything that can go wrong, does go wrong"...... it just a statement of pessimism used to convey the feeling that there is nothing you can do about it... you're just having a bad day (or life).

In a game like PS2, where you can die to seemingly random and unforeseen ways... it's the feeling of any action taken by you leads inexplicably to death.

The reality is that most deaths can be avoided by caution, patience and careful listening and watching your surroundings and/or picking the right location or battles to participate in. Unfortunately, it's much more fun to rush headlong into combat hoping for the best. Those with higher K/D are much better at picking and choosing those situations and/or being patient and aware while entering them.
  6. Alan Kalane

Murphy's Law explained:
    The universe is virtualy infinite, and the ammount of events that happen at the same time is unimaginable. Considering the lifetime of our universe the ammount of events that have happened since the Big Bang reaches infinity, so even if something is unlikely to happen - it certainly will or has already happened.

For example if an event has 0.00000001% chance of happening every 1000 years it most likely has already happened since the birth of the universe at least once, and will certainly happen again before the universe colapses into nothingness.

What is the chance for a planet to create and sustain life? Considering that we know only 1 such planet it must be very low. And yet life exists on Earth, one of 100 000 000 000 planets in our galaxy (there are thousands of galaxies in the universe) so that leads to a conclusion that extraterrestrial life does or will exist sometime in the future.

Translating to PS2 language, if the chance of an ESF landing on AV mines is equal to 0.00001% per player per day, then considering the large scale of PS2 and it's 2 years of lifetime, it most likely has already happened (it happened to me).

And that is
    Murphy's Law
  7. Appalachian

This is pretty much how my session goes whenever I try to smoke and play. Were you smoking? ;)
  8. \m/SLAYER\m/

yes, this is annoying, you see great opportunity for multi-kill, and grenade sticks to teammate, who second later runs into bunch of teammates :eek::eek::eek:
  9. Joexer

I play support. i used to play on a potato err... hp g7 that got 10fps at warpgate. Now I am level 60. my average KD is .65 now. My overall all time is .33. Random is all relative. With thousands of players random becomes common very fast.