I never gave Wrel a chance but after hearing his gameplay change ideas...wow

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheBloodEagle, Apr 14, 2014.

1. TheBloodEagle

If you haven't heard what he said, do it, do it now. I was really blown away actually and wish it could happen. I never cared much about watching other peoples PS2 videos. But ran into this one, which I'm sure was posted before, and it has me dreaming.

Starts @ 7:40 -ish
    • Up x 7
  2. DQCraze

That would totally resurrect this game if they did that stuff. Epic ideas...
  3. Ribero

The dogfighting at 9:05 was beautiful.

-

Nifty ideas though.
  4. DrPapaPenguin

I disagree on his Instant Action and Tech Plant points, but the rest is all right.
  5. Ronin Oni

TL;DW :p

There's just really not much reason for me too... Any vets sit through it and are their any even obscure factoids worth knowing about? 99% of YT content is well known stuff for anyone with real playtime
  6. MasterCheef

Anyone can come up with a dream idea and make it sound fantastic as they imagine the player base playing it exactly they way they intended.

His ideas sound cool and all, but it would have to be a different game.
  7. Raka Maru

I don't see how I missed this one as I'm subscribed to Wrel's channel and watch every video, but great stuff!!!
  8. TheBloodEagle

I'll try to rewatch it and write it down in a little bit but he'd basically completely change the PS2 gameplay; like full on extreme changes. It's really interesting. But as MasterCheef mentioned, it could have unintended consequences. But it does sound like with his ideas that, battle logistics, bases & spawning would have so much more meaning.
  9. Negator

I dont trust solo heroes to make *largescale* decisions for the community.
  10. Giggily

Wrel has pretty much the ****tiest opinions to have about this game humanly possible.
  11. TheBloodEagle

Huh? Why such hostility? Which idea bugged you specifically?
  12. WTSherman

The way I see it, basically the devs need to read http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf (download and open in a pdf reader if your browser doesn't display it right), poke around http://www.realitymod.com/forum/, and maybe either try a few rounds of PR themselves or watch some gameplay videos on YT.

Then they need to ask themselves "How can we use the lessons learned here, in this other game that handles large-scale organized combat well, and apply them to our vision for PS2?"

PR actually does many of the things that Wrel mentions, including giving each side a single "main base" (ie the warpgate) that acts as THE hub for all your transportation and logistics needs. And I can definitely see tech plants being a sort of "checkpoint"/forward secondary base just to help with the map size.

Honestly I wish I could find some neat little summary of how PR's logistics system developed somewhere, there was a lot of trial and error involved and many valuable lessons were learned that would be a great resource for anyone looking to add a logistical element to a large-scale shooter.
    • Up x 1
  13. Kriegson

I do like several of the ideas. Sundies being mobile bunkers, no instant action, small bases removed from lattice (if not lattice removed entirely) and large bases act as forward bases....

Though I did notice a handful of these things ARE planned.
    • Up x 1
  14. Lucidius134

Wrel's primarily solo oriented with his playstyl. I can see why people wouldn't be too thrilled to hear him out.

I kind of agree but I also like some of his content too and he's pretty reasonable to talk to.
  15. TheBloodEagle

But the ideas that he talks on the video are almost exclusively about MASSIVELY making it even more team oriented, majorily promoting teamplay & boosting Outfits! Anyone who says otherwise probably didn't even watch the video and just commented early, which is a shame.

I think I'm going to for sure need to do a bullet point version of it because people aren't watching the video and just going TL;DR. There's so much gold in there, really.
  16. Champagon

What i find funny is that most of these suggestions are features that PS1 had at launch. And for those of you wondering, YES i will be playing PS1 when it goes F2P. This game needs to change and in a BIG way to get me back