I miss implants

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Streetrip, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Streetrip

Proper implants like in PS1, not boosters. For those unaware, here's a handy link!

It would definitely introduce more creative play from some players and additionally provide more vectors for balancing. Although the downside risk is that it could make some things more imbalanced.

So the NC classic of Surge + Jackhammer would return.
    Infil + silent running etc.

There's also the idea of introducing fresh new implants like a focus mod which suppresses the camera shake from explosions and impacts, or modifying existing gameplay aspects. So removing health and direction spotting and adding it to a targetting impant, making night time A LOT darker like in beta and introducing darklight vision.

Personally I'd have it so that we'd have
    Surge: Brief charge followed by a temporary loss of standard sprint.
    Focus: Screen shake from explosions and bullet impacts subdued. Increased vulnerbility to Concussion and Flash grenades.
    Adv targeting: Auto spotting revealing health and enemy player direction.
    Aural amplifier: Proximity motion sensor. Increased effect to decoy grenades.
    Melee Booster: Melee damage increased.
    Shield amplifier: Increases shield capacity.
    Explosives detection: Detect explosives. Blurred vision when active.

There can be a lot. The idea being that they'd be exotic changes to standard loadouts. Hopefully this opens the idea of making base maps more fortified as there are more exotic ways to break them.

Discussion welcome of course!
    • Up x 1
  2. quicKsanD

God I miss Audio Amp
    • Up x 1
  3. bluEyedillusions

I got your back bro

[IMG]

Oh, wrong implants.

Erm. Yeah, the PS1 style implants were cool, but we basically have them in the form of certs now. That's the way they're handling them... player modifications will always be done in certs.
  4. Verisimilituder

My concern is if they make a return they'll be like in beta where they last 24 hours and cost a resource (that they removed, so they'd have to reinvent that part of their system). That is tedious.

If instead they simply gave us implants that each had an upside and downside, where you just unlocked them via certs and they were yours, it could add character customization sans the tedium, letting people specialize and therefore diversify the player base.

Keep the costs cert based (to avoid yet more ******** about ''you nerfed X that I paid SC for'') and keep statistics on what is over-used and what is under-used; even implement a system that auto balances them by gradually decreasing a given implant's benefit the more people that use it, or boost a benefit the less that use it. So, say 10% faster reload speed with a downside of 10% slower swap speed is the most popular implant; as it breaks certain thresholds of use, reduce the reload speed benefit by 1% per threshold, with a minimum of say 5%. If it's still the most popular, human intervention to rethink why everyone considers it essential would be prudent. Alternatively, and especially for implants without a scalable benefit, ratchet up (or down) their downside based on popularity.
  5. Crazyfingers

Couldn't these implants easily be made utility slot buffs? Wouldn't be at all surprised to see these or similar certable upgrades in the future, heck light assault already gets a run speed buff if you choose it.
  6. Streetrip

Ooo I like the idea of the downside/upsides balancing according to usage. So if surge is overused then the charge becomes shorter/lack of sprint is longer.

You could say something like, increased production of implants leads to a downside in quality or something or another.
  7. quicKsanD

I liked the whole idea behind PS1's system of Implants and certifications and inventory a lot more then the current one. Yes I will be happy when I have unlocked everything in the game. But why will that be good when everyone has? I don't think it will be. The old system with 3 implants, BR 20 level of Certs (what 25 or something), and your inventory enable balance because you really did need team play to survive.

Now its just go zerg, switch to engineer to drive, LA to fight, MAX for AA, medic to heal. It is more fast paced but since you can eventually do everything just by switching classes it is pointless. I'd rather have people only have at maximum 3 classes unlocked or something to limit people so they specialize. What is going to be unique and specialized 6 months down the road when 75% of people from release have unlocked everything?
    • Up x 1
  8. Streetrip

I'd quite like to see implants which are universal to all factions and all classes. So it's an implant per charcater which affects all appropriate classes (so no MAXes). You can only switch it every 24 hours.

Instead of certing per class, certing for a character would be much less hassle. Additionally you could see a lot more variation. Instead of infil only having silent running, you could attach it to any class for instance!
  9. Jex =TE=

That's my grandma - boy i miss her too...
  10. PharmD

Too complex for this game bro. It wouldn't be catering to the COD/BF3 players. The depth would go right over there heads.
    • Up x 1
  11. Intruder313

Yeah I used to have a dedicated Audio Amp and Darklight setup I called "Sniper's Bane".

I once killed the same 2 sneaks 10+ times each as they tried to sneak into a backdoor - the trick being they did not know I had BOTH implants and I deliberately behaved as if I was not seeing/hearing them until I'd suddenly spin and kill them !
  12. quicKsanD

Yes, you remember those days? When cloakers were actually sneaky? I mean really sneaky. Die while waiting at the vehicle pad sneaky. Plant a boomer on everything sneaky. It was never my thing in PS1 but you had to respect dedicate cloakers who lived in the shadows. Now we have moron snipers who sprint past people while cloaked and then get blasted.

Cloakers had such specific loadouts because their inventory was limited it was some of the best strategy you'll ever see. Now they have rifles and run everywhere. All you need to do is keep following them, or hear the cloak noise, or have an NV/IR scope. Sad.