I greatly disagree with Higby's/Buzz's assesment that squad spawning needs to be expanded.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ThreePi, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ThreePi

Based on the bottom of the interview here:

http://i.imgur.com/KWkjQKQ.jpg

Spawning is something that shooters really have never gotten right. Safe spawn zones, spawn invulnerability, etc, all can have issues. I hate to bring up Call of Duty, but it is one of the most egregious examples, which is the dynamic spawn points. The spawn system is not completely random, but is essentially unpredictable, at any time an enemy can spawn behind you, in an area you just cleared, in an area that should be presumed "safe."

Now, how does that apply to Planetside 2? Obviously there's never going to be a fully random dynamic spawn system, but the more you expand spawn options and remove restrictions on spawning you start to push in that direction. Being able to avoid detection and sneak behind enemy lines is a skill, you are risking detection in order to gain a positional advantage on an enemy. Sneaking an entire squad behind enemy lines is tougher, and comes with a greater reward. Being able to fly an ESF, crash it, throw down a spawn beacon (on top of a tree or antennae where only LAs can destroy it) is a relatively low level of skill with a huge benefit.

Expanding squad spawning, allowing spawning inside vehicles, introducing an indoor spawn beacon effectively increases the randomness of spawning. We've seen the problems it causes, hell Buzz and TE are almost soley responsible for the changes to Instant Action when they exploited the ability to drop pod troops en masse on bases. That tactic was essentially unpredictable and undefensible and took relatively little skill or coordination.

I fully agree that SoE needs to expand the benefit of squad play. I don't think more spawn mechanics is the answer, it increases unpredictability, and that's not fun. I look at something like the recently released Rising Storm expansion for Red Orchestra 2, the Japanese have comparatively less firepower than the Americans. To counteract this, the Japanese are given the ability to Bonzai Charge. By charging forward melee at the ready the Japanese get an increase in damage resistence and makes it difficult for the Americans to aim, and it becomes more effective when done in a group. It is both an effective tool and a spectacle to be witnessed (seeing a dozen guys with swords and bayonets chargin as a group shouting at the top of their lungs is a sight to behold). Now, I'm not saying this exact mechanic could be dropped into PS2, but maybe an ability for squad leaders to shout orders that give a benefit to all squad members in an area, like slightly increased damage resistence or higher accuracy or something. Maybe go a little crazier, and you have a guy who carries a flag and a pistol and if he dies the squad loses that buff.

Sorry if that sounds kind of ranty, I kind of just barf out word when posting from my phone.
    • Up x 7
  2. gigastar

So... MAX battle-banners?
  3. Rene Korda

I agree that expanding spawns doesn't sound like a very good idea. They should balance the game around Sunderers instead.
  4. siddar

I like the idea of squads spawning into squad Sunders and Galaxies. Squad deploy as it is needs to be nerfed into the ground. Dropping into a base every three minutes gives a huge positional advanatage to squads that are already have to much of a adavantage to begin with. Bring back the old system of instant action deploy being targetable as to where you can deploy maybe push up timer on it to 30 minutes.
  5. Phazaar

Would love more spawn options, and also restriction to spawning on platoon Sunderers etc, but would like to see everything 'WYSIWIG', no 'you can spawn here because that's where he is', more 'he's carrying this ****-off massive generator that stops him carrying a rifle, and thus you can spawn on him' etc...
  6. maxkeiser

Spawning does not need to be expanded. There are already MORE than enough spawning options.

This sounds like more dumbing down - pandering to the CoD crowd who just want to spawn quickly anywhere they want and shoot stuff.
    • Up x 2
  7. Vanus Aran

Squad Spawning wont make people joining Outfits.
    I think all those features are just for that and as usual - it wont work.
    More and more reasons to play coordinated are taken out of the game.
    Zerg > all. Just go to a zerg, deactivate your brain and you play as 80% as efficient as someone still trying to find a loophole in this monoton lemming-like way of fighting.

Just find a few buddys you can stand, play with them - found a squad with them, have the Spawnbeacon and thats it!!!
    To more - the coordinated way of playing doesnt amount to. Its actually the opposite.
    Having many people in a squad or platoon nearby, "fills the minimap with crap". The people are displayed in such a big manner, that the spotted enemys by the Sensorgun of the Infiltrator, or Radar on vehicles, are COVERED by your teammates!
    How idiotic is that? In most cases it doesnt matter cause if you have many people nearby you will dominate the scene naturally but even squad- and platooncoordination are actually limiting the use of tactic a bit.

Since Lattice destroyed most strategys anyways this is just as unimportant as anything else.
    But Outfits are just not doing anything. ^^ You could give them so many features that the "scum dirty zergfootsoldier" doesnt got, but they will still pale in the sheer power of a Zerg that plays totally 'not coordinated'.

Of course everyone is doing something. With a few people and such.
    I think no one truly plays alone. But oh man... how unimportant it is in the end. : )
    And I suspect SOE to understand this fully and just try to camouflage it. ^^
  8. NDroid

Spawning inside a squad galaxy might give them extra usefulness, that could be an interesting feature. On the other hand, adding more options to spawn on squad members, adding indoor spawn points etc. just removes the need for logistics and transportation.

You can already use squad spawn and beacons to constantly keep dropping in by alternating squad leaders. The "Steel Rain" tactic can still be done by having the leaders fly over a base and have everyone spawn on them. Adding even more of these might make it easier for the causal player who joined a random squad but it will be incredibly exploitable by any organized group.

Mechanics like these may work in smaller scale round based games like Battlefield, but I don't think they belong here.
  9. Ash87

Only if you can use those banners to beat people to death

...Actually, yes, we need battle banners
  10. Vastly

On the subject of squad spawning, why is "spawn on dead person" still in the game? Highly abuseable.