I get that the gatekeeper was overpowered...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jolanar, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Jolanar

But now it does no damage AND is inaccurate as hell. Don't you think the nerfs went just a little overboard? What made it powerful was the ability to apply multiple shots at extreme ranges. Each shot did very little damage but you could reliably land most of them. Now, even if you land a couple of shots, you aren't doing enough damage for it to matter.

There is no point to use this weapon when you have the halberd as a higher damage, more accurate choice.
  2. BurntMyWater

I still find that the Gatekeeper has excellent accuracy. The problem I have now is estimating the drop of the projectiles. Old GK was very powerful because it had barely any drop, complemented by fast velocity. New GK not only has lowered velocity, it now has some weird acceleration mechanic where the projectile actually goes faster the further it travels. This produces rather inconsistent drop which really throws me off.
    • Up x 5
  3. breeje

the GK is still as accurate as hell, the hard part is you have to aim really high above your target
    the only thing the GK needs now is a new crosshair
    give it the crosshair from the halberd or the furry and lots of players will be able to use the GK the correct way
    • Up x 2
  4. BurntMyWater

^
    This. A better crosshair would let us aim better, much like how it was with the NC Enforcer.
  5. Liewec123

a "GK UP!" thread? it must be the end times. :eek:
  6. Demigan

Gatekeeper still has similar dps as the enforcer. It also has less punishment for misses so theres no contest in that the GK is more powerful even after the nerf.
    • Up x 1
  7. omegaskorpion

Now this is coming from all side player, but after the nerf the GK is actualy more harder to use than the Enforcer, The GK has now even more drop than the pre-buff Enforcer and 150 starting velocity (until it slowly accelerates to 450 which it can never atchieve nor has any use thanks to the drop)

The GK is much easier to use, in close to medium range but in long range (which it was inteded to be used) it becomes inconsistant and terible to use. I havent unlocked the Vulkan for the Harraser yet so now i have to use the GK as a cheap close range weapon since its too hard to use at range (yes even with the Brawler the drop is the same)
  8. LaughingDead

And now none of the "long range" topguns are long range, balance.

Wouldn't that mean it's balanced? Halberd is your general all around long range AV, so if there are ups and downs to both then it would be balanced. Also gk is perfectly accurate, the drop is about the same as the enforcer, the acceleration always happens at 50 meters, the damage is about the same as an enforcer. The only thing they nerfed was how easy it was to hit at render, its sort of like the railjack now, has a delay til it's true velocity.
  9. Hammerlock

now you know how PPA users feels like after that nerf a year ago
  10. \m/SLAYER\m/

that it was attached to prowler, try it out on receiving side
  11. Imperialguardsman

To me now its in line with the other factions crappy empire specific tank AV weapons. Back to the Halberd/Vulcan only days lads.
    • Up x 1
  12. asmodraxus

Because the CoF and its bloom on the Saron coupled with the burst fire made it a close to mid range weapon.
    Because the drop on the Enforcer coupled with the reload system made it a close to mid range weapon.

The Saron and Enforcer were forciably nerfed to balance them around the close range Vulcan, then DBG release the GK with its 500 (nerfed to 450m/s) projectile speed, negligible drop, no CoF as said nerfs faild to work, yet they DIDN'T roll back said nerfs to the Enforcer nor Saron they gave VS and NC some CQC weapons of which the Mjolnir sucked.

So TR had a long ranged weapon on the base chasis which has more speed and DPS then any other tank.
    VS and NC have far lower DPS and are slower and not as good at range as their long ranged weapons are now mid ranged...

Wonder why 66% of the player base get upset?

Let me know when the PPA is usable, then expect the same wait.
    • Up x 2
  13. DeathbyGotcha

Every time an NC whines TR get a nurf instead of nurfing every other faction why don't you actually get decent leadership in NC. I hear excuse after excuse why NC lose almost every alert. I finish maxing GK on my Prowler and Harasser it must be time for a nurf right ???
  14. DeathbyGotcha

We know you like being on the receiving end :p
  15. LaughingDead

Tr whines banshee is bad, other nosesguns good
    Banshee gets buffed
    PPA and AH nerfed
    AH nerfed again
    AH nerfed a third time
    PPA nerfed

You really want to go that route?
  16. DeathbyGotcha

Are you saying NC never whine about weapons Because I have a NC ult and are you saying NC leadership is fantastic ???
  17. LaughingDead

No I'm saying everyone whines, everyone gets nerfed and everyone loses and all the good leadership is behind outfits that you have to get into first.

The players are there, the help isn't.
  18. DeathbyGotcha

That was the only thing that turned me off to the NC it was like heading cats drove me crazy. I am sure when they nurfed the PPA NC was just as upset just wish I could get my certs back feels like they gave us a water gun on top in exchange for the GK :(
  19. zaspacer

Unfortunately, PS2 Devs have a long history of taking nerfs to the extreme. I think it's mostly that they stink at fine tune balancing. So they typically just nerf any offending unit/class/weapon/cert/etc. into the ground... after ignoring it for months... and then proceed to ignore the UP version for months/years... unless the UP version proves (through player experimenting) to be OP, and then it is nerfed again... eventually.
  20. Slandebande

Try it out on the using side. The GK was arguably too strong on the Harasser (primarily against other Harassers), but on the Prowler? Seriously? I've fought against GK-equipped Prowlers a lot, and I prefer such Prowlers over the Halberd Prowlers by far (and in certain situations, the Vulcan Prowlers). The GK is simply so easy to counterplay for any even remotely competent enemy, in the sense that it is trivial to reduce the DPS of the GK drastically by utilizing proper tanking tactics.

Another thing is that at the ranges where the GK has the advantage over the alternatives, you shouldn't really be losing your tanks in the first place, as it is trivial to seek cover in time at long range. Another aspect is that the primary weapons of the Prowler won't be able to reach out anywhere near as far as the GK does, meaning the render-range is pretty useless on a Prowler.

The GK was great if you were interested in farming noobs at 400m, while being useless to your faction and not having an impact on any significant fights. Or if you (or your gunner) was too terrible to be able to hit the broadside of a barn of course! It was too easy to use, but lacked synergy with typical tanking strategies and was easy to counterplay, meaning against competent opposition, the alternatives were almost always preferrable.

Back? I never stopped used the Halberd, as it is simply too versatile to give up, while the GK is trivial to counterplay.