I feel bad for Galaxy pilots

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by centurionvi, Nov 30, 2012.

1. centurionvi

These guys are some of the most team oriented players in the game, willing to work for little (if any?) reward, however they've been rendered completely obsolete by sunderers, hot drops, squad beacons, instant redeployment, etc. When you see a Galaxy at the warp gate, how often do you get on? I'm betting not very, because now you have a half dozen faster, safer methods of transport. I'm sure there are outfits/squads who make good use of Galaxies, but these are few and far between compared to the heydays of PS1, when you had full Gal drops leaving every few minutes.

They need some sort of added utility, like transporting a tank like a C-130, or refilling/repairing aircraft in flight the way sunderers do for tanks. Something to do other than sitting at the warp gate ferrying 10 people every half hour..
    • Up x 3
  2. Ribonucleic Acid

floating ammo station for air would be awesome, like the sundy has for vehicles.

and yes, give full kill assist credit to gal pilots who have hotdropped infantry. this 5 xp per kill after dropping is ridiculous. getting over 50 points a drop is almost impossible, even with a good squad. then you have to go back to gate/next to an incredibly contested zone to get another full drop, and probably wait 5 minutes for a full gal? completely imbalanced for cert gain.

gal's usage is fine. it is that there aren't enough incentives or options to use them is the problem.
    • Up x 1
  3. Xonal

Giant magnet that scoops up anyone using rocket pods within 1km. The Lameguard.
  4. Nommingu

Need to be able to deploy in it... would make everything so much better...
  5. RF404

As a Galaxy pilot this is my wish list for christmas:
    1. Deployable Galaxy that activates a weapon terminal on each side and a nanite shields that protects the people standing at the terminal.
    2. Increased XP to pilot for gunner kills (20-25 extra XP per kill)
    3. More XP to pilot for kills made by people who has dropped from the Galaxy (4-5 extra XP)
    4. Small amount of XP to the passengers for each kill made by the gunners (~5 XP)
    5. More types of guns select from.
    • Up x 4
  6. Oliverquinn

Oh please Sony, I'm the designated Galaxy Driver for my outfit since I spent roughly 2000 SC and over 1000 Cert on my Galaxy, very little experience and once I drop off my troops I'm either rendered useless or I have to hide my galaxy and run into battle (I'm also the medic!)

As RF404 said, I would love a Deploy-able Galaxy Turret, as well as a bit more experience. I wouldn't mind waiting in my Galaxy for the guys to capture a point if I knew I could provide some cover fire for them to assist them in, at the moment even if I did switch to the gunner, I'd be nailed down by Vanu Scythes before I even got a round off since it's 500 cert for the Bulldog Upgrade, times that by 4 and I'm going to have to be one rich pilot to even help my team.
  7. MuNrOe

Give the top gun some sort of flak (burster) weapon. Also up the damage the gal can take. This way a gal can perform aerial cover for the troops it drops and not get taken out by 1 ESF.

During early tech testing the gal did massive amounts of damage to aircraft. Now it just shoot's marsh mellows.
  8. teweedo

I agree

The galaxy is in a critical states right now, there's absolutely no point using it.

Even as a full squad on skype it's rather more effective to just use a sunderer.
  9. Leon026

Could perhaps consider a future "modular" Galaxy variants, such as in-flight re-arming/repairing of VTOLs instead of carrying troops. An expansion to the air war side of the game is in need, as its currently too CAS-oriented.
  10. Xasapis

I don't see why the galaxy can't gain some of the functions of the sunderer, ie:
    1. Airborne ammo restock unit
    2. Airborne repair station (need to balance the rate)
    3. Airborne orbital drop unit (I'd balance it by dropping only on faction controlled hexes)
    The idea is to have a galaxy in the back at max altitude restocking liberators while the air superiority fighters protecting all. Sort of like a carrier fortress, only you can't land on it.
  11. Spookydodger

If it didn't fall when the pilot switched to other guns might be useful, too. Have it stay in hovering unless the pilot completely leaves the vehicle.
  12. Rothnang

I would love it if I could turn a Galaxy into a supply plane that repairs/reloads friendly aircraft that are within 50 meters or so.

There are a few relatively simple buffs they could make to Galaxies that would help a lot IMO.

For one, Bulldogs, Walkers and Basilisks could use a buff in general. Basilisks just need to be a bit more accurate, and Walkers and Bulldogs just need to be better at what they do.

Secondly, if they extended the firing arc on the side guns of the Galaxy by maybe an extra 15 degrees to the front and back the Galaxy would become a heck of a lot more fun for the turret operators, because right now it has a big problem with the fact that its nearly impossible to give all your gunners something to shoot at, and simply sitting in a turret staring at the world go by while a battle rages on the other side of the aircraft is absolutely not fun.
  13. D0n

There was a brilliant idea of not allowing gal spawns during beta, there ya go.
  14. Leon026

Exactly, bit like an E-3 Sentry AWACS and the KC-135 Stratotanker concept put together.
  15. ted gillingby

bumping in agreement
    when an enemy see a galaxy, they see a big old exp pinata
    I galaxy needs to either instil urgency, or dread in the enemy again, as it did in early beta, and must be made so that your opponents will react and attempt to destory a galaxy, not just because it has a big old exp bonus, but because if the galaxy manages to get into the contested area, it will mess....you....up, or at least make fighting very, very difficult
  16. Chemicalnurd

I don't like using galaxies as spawn points - Something about landing a galaxy on something and having people clown car out of it isn't as fun as dropping a bunch of guys from maximum altitude right into the middle of a battle where they wreak havoc on everyone nearby.
    However, they do need to be a lot more useful.
    • Up x 1
  17. Vanath

We all feel bad for Galaxy pilots.

Giving it aerial repair/refit is interesting. It would also be nice if it could actually shoot down fighters and provide air cover. As far as making it a spawn, the Galaxy could deploy into a spawn point in early beta. That was taken away because a Galaxy could just fly over any defensive lines or terrain on the map and deploy making it next to impossible to form a front line. They could also deploy in places Sunderers could never get to and neither could other vehicles.
  18. firemonkey

Maybe make it so you deploy it in air and it hovers over a battlefield and people can spawn off it or even inside it then they drop out onto the battlefield...it would make attacking the crown...rather interesting...
  19. Alexander Angelos

Oh yeah... It would be amazing to see a galaxy in a role of AC-130 <3
  20. DeadlyShoe

I get a lot of use out of the Galaxy. I think it's in a fine place and the last thing it needs is to be a spawn point. FWIW reinforcing on top of buildings is already kinda covered by spawn beacons.

I could sure go for equipment terminals though.

The worst problem is the XP problem. Deploy kill bonus could stand to be doubled at a minimum, maybe even tripled.