[Suggestion] I feel a lot of complaints about vehicle spam would be lessened if AP shells got buffed.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ThreePi, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ThreePi

Its a fairly easy and no-nonsense change. If AP shells got buffed then obviously more people would take them over infantry farming shells, and then of course more tanks using AP shells means tanks are naturally going to thin out tank columns faster.

As it stands, it seems like the AV advantages for AP shells is far, far outweighed by the fact that you're essentially useless against infantry.
    • Up x 3
  2. Uben Qui

A vanguard Ap shell does 2k in damage. Which translates into 4 hits to the side of any other tank, with or without side armor. It takes 2 to take any tank from the rear, including lightnings. So how much faster would you want it? 3 to the side and 1 to the rear?
  3. UberBonisseur

Or, you know, actually reducing the number of MBT spawns.

Just like 2 factions out of 3 on Esamir.
    The vehicle spam is inversely proportional to the time spent walking to a terminal / driving to the fronline
  4. Crazyfingers

5. LameFox

AP is fine. It's my favourite ammo type - I only wish the prowler's Marauder wasn't so godawful to aim so I could equip AP more often and let the gunner fend off infantry.
  6. MykeMichail

I would certainly agree that the increase in damage from AP rounds is barely worth the inability to kill infantry with anything but a direct hit.
  7. Uben Qui

Don't you guys have the Kobalt over there? That .50 cal is a monster against infantry.
  8. LameFox

Its sniper-like accuracy tends to be a pain for smaller targets, especially on the move. Unfortunately anything is better than the marauder though, the gunner can aim at something about 50m away and have to aim so high it's barely in his screen anymore, then by the time the grenades arrive it's too late.
  9. Uben Qui

It is actually the only gun I like to run a Van with if I am forced to try it solo. A 2x zoom on that thing just makes it deadlier. Only thing I can find to use the zoom for since the rest of the weapons get a wonky difference in aim when you swap to zoomed.

-They really should make the zoom scale the aiming ladder to be smaller so it compensates for the same aim scale whether zoomed or regular on the other guns.
  10. Littleman

Infantry with an AP cannon is damn fine target practice. If you can hit a teensy target with the main cannon regularly, tanks shouldn't be an issue at all.

That said, as a TR, I put a Vulcan on top of my Prowler which is so powerful (if horribly inaccurate) I fear it will be nerfed... then I can go NC because I fell in love with the SAW/Reaper/AC-X11. Why do people find these 3 guns horrible?
  11. LameFox

I wouldn't even care if the vulcan lost some damage as long as it gained more range. Application is more important than high numbers.
  12. iller

plz for the love of everything that doesn't suck yet, plz tell me you're not suggesting that the "buff" also include better effectiveness against Infantry as well...
  13. Owleyes

I do wish my Lightning AP did more damage, At least more damage than HEAT. Most people use HEAT because the armor damage is almost the same.

Idk, but AP and HEAT shouldnt do almost the same damage, A buff to AP? no. Nerf to HEAT armor damage? maybe
  14. Frosty The Pyro

The SAW is great, but unintuitive. As an LMG with a 100 round magazine new players look at it and think "bullet hose" and its not. its hip fire is horrid and the recoil, though balanced, is signifigant. the SAW shines because of its 0 COF first shot and relitively powerfull bullets, which makes it one of the best mid/long range weapons in the game. But its not what it feals like it should be to a new player. So they try and use it in a style it does not particularly acomidate (the TR style). Also its much worse than the other starters before you get certs into it.

On topic, I dont think buffing AP damage would be wise, its actualy tuned very specificly, and AP buffs would need to be in fire rate and/or projectile velocity and gravity.
  15. ThreePi

No, that was not what I was saying at all. What I'm saying is that the effectiveness that AP rounds have against vehicles does not make up for the fact that its useless against infantry. The fact that its useless against infantry is fine and shouldn't change (though they should get rid of the explosion effect since it provides incorrect feedback to the player), but its effectiveness against vehicles should be bumped up slightly.