I could use some help to improve my sniping

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Ralasuco, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Ralasuco

Heya all, I am a Vanu (mostly) Infiltrator player and I love this class as well as the game. I am making this thread because I feel like I am failing hard in playing my favorite class and perhaps not contributing very much to the assaults.
    Tried to figure out the issues by my own but I don't feel like I am making much progress, if any. My highest char is rank 55 I think... but now I wonder if ranked up all the way here by killing noobs and afk players rather then personal skill.
    Currently I live in Japan, a wi-fi connection, ping always arounf 175. So I wonder if that is a factor that could be affecting my performance too.
    I thought it might be better to let more experienced players to look at my performance and see what they think. Here is some random footage I recorded yesterday (this isnt a cherrypicked montage with kills only but I did cutted out boring parts where nothing happens). Also my setup is:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
    Motherboard: ASUSTek COMPUTER INC. P8H77-V
    Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
    RAM: 16 GB
    Cooling: CGU-NC25TZ
    Keyboard: X7 Gaming Keyboard Super-Combo15 G800V
    Mouse: Logicool Optical Gaming Mouse G400S
    Headset: Sound Blaster Inferno
    Capture: Action!

2. Skiptrace

What gun are you using? It's clearly a BASR, but which one? Also, Straight Pull Bolt is actually not a good idea for new snipers, as it makes you look at your surroundings less, and spend more time in scope. I would use the Forward Grip as it gives marginal benefits for Sniper Rifles especially if you plan on using Semi-auto's. Also, try using the Close Range Bolt Action and mixing it up in CQC, you can always improve your snap reaction time this way, and the gun itself is cheap, seeing as you have over 1k Certs. Using the CQC BASR can improve your Long Range BASR skills.
  3. Ralasuco

Parallax. Also thanks for the feedback man.
  4. Jawarisin

5. AnuErebus

My general advice that I give to any new sniper.

1) Learn to cycle your cloak with every shot. While lining up a shot remain cloaked, decloak just long enough to take your shot and then cloak again.
    2) Move between every single shot. Doesn't have to be far, a couple meters will do the trick, but if you stay in the same exact location someone is going to see where you just cloaked and shoot you.
    3) Keep up a motion spotter at all times and pay attention to your minimap. You should rarely if ever be actually surprised if you play things right.
    4) Make sure you have a safe place with solid cover to hide whenever you need to reload/recharge your cloak.

1 and 2 especially seem to be things you weren't doing. That just makes you bait for anyone trying to counter snipe you.

Forward grip is a straight downgrade on bolt-actions. You aren't going to benefit from horizontal recoil reduction since your next shot isn't going to occur until well after your recoil has settled. The only thing it does in practice is make it take longer for you to pull out the rifle when switching from anyone weapon/tool.
  6. Czarinov

I skipped through the parts of your video and I think I know what your issue is that's stopping you from getting better.

You're NOT pushing yourself. Your gameplay looks very chill and calm.

Start playing aggressively - create challenges for yourself. Go after moving targets, realize the mistakes in leading, aim and shoot, again and again. Don't take eternity to aim. Also if you don't see enemy in a place you aim, aim somewhere else! Don't wait on your aim to pop into your scope, find your enemy to scope on them.

Spend your time on doing hard stuff.

Playing to get better skill is not the same as playing for team work!

The advantage of being able to shoot faster with straight pull bolt completely outweighs everything else. Besides what you wrote is an issue of thinking, not gameplay mechanics.
  7. Skiptrace

The problem there is, you have to remember to pull yourself out of the scope, you don't get pulled out of the scope to re-load the next bolt in the chamber, which actually makes you more vulerable, because you have lowered situational awareness due to the small scope. If you could have a 6x+ Reflex sight, then well no need to use anything but SPB because your situational awareness is better because of the more open nature of a reflex sight.
  8. Czarinov

No shi t, mate. And that's why I wrote it's a thinking problem, not a gameplay. One who tries to get better intentionally doesn't need a dumbing mechanic that makes him unscope deliberately.
  9. I_am_the_kiwi

Cloaking and at least moving a few steps to the side after each shot goes a long way in my opinion.

Most of those shots are very long distance, or you were using a 6x scope?

I saw your connection go to poor quite a lot, it adds just a ever so slight amount of delay (+ ping factors in). So i would imagine leading targets takes some real getting used to.

In every good sniping streak there's always that one special spot you must find that will allow you to pop in and out of cover and pick your targets nicely. When you start learning how to find these good spots you'll realize you can actually close the distance more on your targets. Cloaked > moves out of cover finds target > uncloaks takes one shot > Cloaks and moves back to cover. The more shots you take from one single position the higher chance you have someone will find you.

Also i do not advise ever standing on a ridge line and sniping, your silhouette sticks out like a sore thumb and people like me love that. Try to get a good camo to blend in with your backgrounds and find that spot you can again peek in and out of. It's all about being creative. Sometimes my best spots were the simplest I went 81-3 in a matter of 40 mins @ indar excavation on Connery.

When targets are running towards you shots are plenty more easy, it's not always necessary to go for the headshot if you know you can land 2 body shots simultaneously, aka targets running down a lane slightly towards you. If you do get a bit closer though you will find shots running horizontal in front of you are much easier, try to remember your mil dot leads and distance to account for this.

I sniped non stop til battle rank 70 and got some 11.3k kills on my rams .50. I think that if you pick and choose your advice from this forum you can turn the table and have fun sniping.

If you would like to get into more cqc stuff I would suggest picking up the phantom va23 and start decimating. Good cover, good positioning, and situational awareness go a long way.

I wouldn't suggest picking up an SMG it has it's time and place and knowing when to use them is kinda tricky. I find my best streaks now a days are with a ksr-35 (TR equiv. of the Phantom) . Boy is that thing deadly. Happy hunting mate!

-Kiwi
  10. MisterSlim

I'd highly recommend checking out the sniper's guide linked in my signature. There is lots of good advice from most of the other people commenting in this thread, but it helps capture the basics in a nutshell fairly well (or so I've been told). If there are a few things I'd point out, it's that you should almost never stop moving, except to squeeze a shot off. Focusing on constant movement, cloak cycles, and shortening up that time-to-acquire is super important.

Here is the MLG report from the DasAnfall stite from my NC alt (since it actually portrays my faster-paced playstyle a LOT better than the VS main that I had since I started out) :
    [IMG]
    Compared to the MLG report from the DasAnfall site from your VS:
    [IMG]

That stat post wasn't meant for gloating or undercutting purposes, so please don't take it as such. That circled number (and your footage) tells me that you don't do a lot of things-per-minute (which is what your 'MLG score' signifies). As a sniper, your role is providing offensive support to your team, in addition to providing a reliable overwatch. Your job is to take care of the enemies that your teammates can't, and to do so in a way that promotes good communication and squad synergy. In short, the best advice I can give is "move, son!", and "don't stop doing things!". Once you learn to take advantage of your mobility, you'll focus more on getting accurate shots out there quickly, taking more advantage of your flowing positioning than your ability to stay unnoticed.

Hope I helped a little bit! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever feel compelled to learn a little more! Same goes for the other veteran snipers, odds are, they won't mind helping you out. Keep sniping the good snipe!

-Stay Fr0sty