How to Make the Valkyrie Look awesome, less Toy Like.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by DorianOmega, Aug 18, 2014.

1. DorianOmega

So I dislike the look of the new Valkyrie, doesn't match what was originally presented to us and quite frankly it looks like a toy.

First, the Vtol thrusters seem improperly placed, way too far back to seem like it would life the craft directly up, the engines should be moved forward to try and properly weigh the craft a bit more:
    [IMG]

Second, reduce the size of the tail fins, they are soo big that when the ES coloring applies to it it nails in that toy like look, reducing the size of these by about 20-30% might help make em look less toy like:

[IMG]

And third, make the set wings on the body of craft wider to give the craft a more aerodynamic feel and reduce the width of the tail wing, the contrast of the 2 would add a nice weight:

[IMG]

If anything the color pattern for the ES marks looks atrocious, a change to that alone would help the cosmetic feel of the craft a lot.

Any thoughts?
    • Up x 2
  2. Presage

3. SevenTwo

Actually, I think the position of the wing thrusters makes sense from a layman's engineering perspective.

If the wing thrusters were moved forward, they'd at the very least also need to adjust so that the thrust from them eventually points close to along the vehicle's horizontal axis (a bit like the Liberator), as the thrust vectors would be all wrong without that adjustment.

I mean, if the point of the vehicle's propulsion system is that it's supposed to be mainly driven by vector modified "upward thrust" in relation to the direction of the main chassis, I think putting the wing thrusters closer to the cockpit would make little sense. At least I think the thrust vector "arithmetics" would feel kind of wonky from an immersion perspective.
  4. -Synapse-

I agree for the most part, maybe not the specific changes you listed, but something does need to be done.

Seeing as how quite a few NS vehicles are getting a visual overhaul soon, I could see them taking a look at the design of the Valkyrie some time in the future.

In case you're wondering, here's some early pictures of the redone NS stuff:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  5. BobSanders123

I'm tired of NS stuff. Empire specific everything pls.
    • Up x 5
  6. MistaN

Where are those images from???
  7. Korfax124

I suspect that they are from SOE Live, but I can't say for sure since I didn't watch the streams or anything from the event :p
  8. FireclawX

Wrel tweeted them from SOE live :)
  9. WarmasterRaptor

Ooooh likey a lot :)

Thank you!
  10. Joorald

I agree with you on that, not to mention that if the wing thrusters were moved forward like that you run the risk of burning your passenger's legs off while they ride on the sides.
    • Up x 1
  11. Pikachu

The artists have so much spare time they can remake all NS models? How about remaking many of the weapon models instead.
    • Up x 1
  12. WarmasterRaptor

That would actually be a really good thing to do...

Dem copy/paste designs...

And they could also create "new" building templates for new bases designs...
  13. cruczi

That looks so badass.
  14. SilverUnicorn

i dont like this NS stuff i want faction only lib or lighing tank or something like that
    • Up x 1
  15. DorianOmega

The Valk already has thrusters on its belly that easily compensate for thrusting upward, the extra set of engines in the back just looks wierd, IMO doesn't really nail in a helicopter feel and more so a shuttle feel to which if they changed the handling of the craft to be more like the lib or galaxy, it would feel a lot more appropriate, but based on how the craft handles it doesn't even make sense from an aerodynamic standpoint to then have wings coming off the vtol thrusters, when moving forwards with the wings like that people should be getting massive lift or drag, but they don't and makes the vehicle feel more awkward.

Technically any throwables could get caught in the engines based on their current placement as they'd get sucked in if the vehicle was moving, potentially blowing up an engine, Heck if even a shell casing got sucked into the engine it could cause a problem.
    Also the engines are mounted lower as to where infantry are mounted.
    It would look like they are getting melted if they exited the vehicles while it was moving, if it was landed it would look perfectly fine with the newer placement as the thruster would still be low and pointing towards the ground/sky.

As a vtol craft on its own, it design just just doesn't make any sense with that thruster placement, as most VTOL craft that even have thrusters mounted that far back even in fiction are always mounted up higher on the craft or more in the middle of the craft t and never so low on the aircraft, here are some pictures of other VTOL craft:

[IMG]
    http://3.bp.************/-qUSEh_9R2aA/UUw5uLCjNOI/AAAAAAAALd0/6Mq-iohZ8bA/s1600/Terminator+Hunter-Killerthe+VTOL+aircraft+used+by+Skynet+1.jpg
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

As you can see, comparatively, the placement of the Valkyries thrusters doesn't even come close to these, a more forward placement seems more then appropriate, if not a change in the way the vehicles handles as it does not match the current thruster placement.

Edit: Another big issue is that the thruster placement of the craft is more in line with a Harrier which handles like an ESF, again, if the handling changed that would easily accommodate for the current placement of the thrusters, as it is now it just feels weird and improper.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  16. AT22-Titan

A vehicle is bigger and more visible, guess that's why they'd do that first? I like it.

Also to the post above me, it would've been nice if they made it feel more compact than the current design with the clunky out of place wings. Like put the thrusters close to the fusilage and make them rotate, maybe keep a small wing somewhere. More like your 6th picture basically.
  17. Pikachu

There's no need to update vehicle models since there are no duplicates. Weapons plenty of duplicates or near duplicates, in sound as well.
  18. AT22-Titan

Well I don't think there's a lot of money to be made with weapons and the way they look, very few people buy weapons for the looks I'd imagine.

Now there's a lot of opportunity to sell vehicle cosmetics, and maybe even more when the base model looks good. I mean the sundy doesn't really look like a military truck. The lightning is just a coffin with some angeled armor, the harasser looks ok, but this one looks better.
  19. SevenTwo

Hopefully we'll get some ES variants at some point, which will stand out more from the NS vehicles, or at least some kind of cosmetic chassis option to do so - that would be pretty sweet without making too many problems in terms of game balance, though it would probably be a little boring compared to new vehicles.
  20. DatVanuMan

Nice thread, man. I really like the Valkyrie, but there's always room for more awesomeness:D