How to make engineers less good

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by xGreedFuSioN, Jun 4, 2013.

1. xGreedFuSioN

Currently the engineer goes like this:
    -Repair turrets
    -Repair maxes
    -Drop ammo below heavies and maxes
    -choice class for vehicle lovers

As it stands, playing a purely support engineer, while useful, takes NO skill whatsoever, and is terribly boring. IDK bout you but standing by a sundy thats getting hit and holding LMB isn't fun. Only time I play engy is when I'm eating or talking to someone on skype so I'm playing with 1 hand. That's right, I'm an effective engineer with 1 hand.

Now, If I had my way you engies would have to choose between repair tool and primary weapon. But that's unrealistic.

My solution is to simply increase the deploy zone on the ammo box from 1/2-1m to 10-15m. when you equip an ammo pack and are ready to throw the no-deploy-zone would show on the minimap just like how the AMS works.

Thoughts? Would prevent engies from just spamming ammo boxes all in the little nook where everyone is camped and think about placing them tactically first.
    • Up x 1
  2. Seranov

How dare a class by helpful to the team.

I think this suggestion is short-sighted and foolish.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vortok

Follow a MAX into a hot zone to keep him repaired while dodging incoming fire and get back to us.
    • Up x 1
  4. StB2000

The game is falling apart and you want to fix an imaginary problem?
    • Up x 1
  5. Ronin Oni

seriously?

no

/thread
  6. IamDH

Wow you want to nerf it because it supports the team...........
    The reason its good certs is to encourage supporting the team in planetside ---- a team based game.
  7. SgtBreastroker

Try it with squads of zoidberg maxes warping all over the place. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  8. WaiZen

I don't even use engineers to repair and drive anymore, Nanite auto-repair Ftw.
  9. Jaes

This thread...

Totally Troll :eek:
  10. xGreedFuSioN

Hueheueuehueheuhuheuehue .... >;3
    • Up x 1
  11. Talshere

Both engi's and medics need something doing about their infinate repair/res/heal. Its getting dumb. If a single medic is alive after you kill 10 odd enemies all your work is undone, likewise if you manage to get 2 or 3 maxs down to 10% hp and one engi is there, boom, all gone.
  12. Udnknome

Currently I have ammo pack certed to max. The pick up range is about 7m, and it lasts for 7 minutes. I'm guessing you are asking for a level 1 ammo pack to provide the same coverage as a level 5 ammo pack?

I appreciate the buff, but it doesn't seem like it will really do much to the game other than give you no reason to cert your ammo pack.
  13. AzureKnight

10-15 meters? Are you kidding? MAYBE 5 meters, but if you had 10-15 meters, then there would be no point for the ammo pad at all as you could not place it in any base. it would be spammed by the enemy so your side couldn't hold any place except the spawn room. Not to mention, ammo pads are suppose to be out of the way so people can reload and catch a breather while they get more ammo. You put any large range restriction on that and you'll be left with ammo pads in the middle of open spaces which is just stupid.

I think if you really wanted to 'fix it', you let ammo packs last forever but instead give them energy that once depleted would have to be replaced. Say, 1 clip = 5 energy, base of 100 energy for ammo packs. It could be upgraded for more.

You engineer play style is lacking though. Any time I play engi, I'm on the front lines repair and giving ammo. If you're just chilling in an area where it's 'safe', of course it's going to be boring. If you're going to argue that if you don't repair the sundy, then it dies, then don't repair it. the driver should be repairing it himself unless you're like me who just quickly deploys one in an enemy base to hopefully get a few people out.

As it stands, I play engi to support and cert farm.
  14. FigM

AV turret was a terrible mistake. It just puts engineer way over the top
  15. xGreedFuSioN

If you wanted to take this post seriously ammo packs would have to last forever and the certs decrease the deploy radius.
  16. Tommyp2006

I actually enjoy playing support engie. I will stick by a max all day and repair him, and keep him alive as long as I can. I don't get many kills doing it, but it's actually pretty intense trying to stay alive sometimes. Sorry I enjoy being a credit to the team.

Running out of ammo in this game is really not an issue, even when no engineers are around. The only effect it has is that no one runs the ammo belt suit slot.

If anything, support classes need their XP caps completely removed, especially on ammo and repair sundys.
  17. bodmans

as much as this thread is a troll, i like the idea of a no deploy zone for ammo packs a few meters larger that its range