[Suggestion] How to make command, outfits and vehicles usefull

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thesweet, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Thesweet

**command improvements**

-Command points only awarded to people in a squad leader role or higher. Battalion commanders offered the position by highest command level with most time played in battalion command(BC). If it is not accepted then it rolls on down the line for PUGs. If it is an outfit group then BC is offered to the highest ranking individual of the outfit. Battalions can be designated an outfit or pug battalion on the creation of a squad.

-Command structure for infantry only, up to 12 squad leaders, 3 platoon leaders, 2 company leaders and one battalion commander with second in command.

-command structure for air and tank squadrons only. 4 pilots per wing, 2-3 wings per squadron and one squadron commander with second in command.

-The higher command the more resources and firepower available. Maybe even have 3-4 generals per side based on command time played to co-ordinate between battalions and squadrons.

-battalion/squadron commanders and 2ic get the command module option for gal, sundy or mbt.

-modules could have things like AWACS for long range radar guided missile accuracy within the AWACS operational range, thermal imaging or UAV launch and control for the commander to get intel or view battles.

-squad leaders could have access to smaller airstrikes on targets where as BC could order in a gal bombing run, so more resources are made available to higher command. Squad leader can request higher lever strikes off higher commanders to approve.

-if a mortar/air strike is approved by a BC then it is passed on to the nearest air/tank command for the highest ranking officer to assign a ESF, lib, gal, tank or lighting to strike the position. The air/armour wing command gets a small view of the strike area on a map with a target, he can choose how many aircraft to send. Squadron 2ic can also mark out any AA in the area if it has been spotted recently. This small map mission overview is given to pilots assigned to the mission. If the commander does not have the air/armour available then they decline the mission, it then gets passed onto the next commander further away.

-solo pilots/tanks get mission offers when targets are made but only from CUDS, laser locks are only available to air commanders.

-if the air/armour squadron has a squadron leader the can also pass on vital information collected by the battalions recon on things like AA or AT emplacements.

-The target is assigned to the pilot/armour, they have a certain amount of time given to complete the strike.

-targets can be given by recon laser spot or by a leader using a command uplink device (CUD) to give co-ordinates. This then activates a bombing/arty request to commander further up to approve.

**counters for targeting or dumb fire missiles**

-counters for laser targeting are, own teams recon using jamming UAV to stop Laser target information getting back to their commanders.

-tank laser defence system. Detects enemy laser acquisition, then fires a missile at the location destroying the recon if he does not move. (Only 37% accurate)

-laser detection warning with the option of releasing IR smoke.

-ballistic counter measures. Fires a small missile out of the tank with a flat steel nose to intercept projectile. 5 counters before a reload from a ammunition point is needed.(Only works with infantries smaller missiles)

-laser defence. When activated shoots lasers to intercept infantry missiles. 2 intercepts before it deactivates for re-charging. Does not need to be reapplied with more ammunition.

-counter for CUD selected targets is that smoke will land on the site to be bombed before the strike occurs giving10-15 seconds to move.

**changes for vehicles**

-increase in vehicle spawn times and cost.

-tanks should receive more armour, HP and weapon and gadget slots. This means they can support and work with infantry better.

-tanks main guns should do more damage for infantry based weapons, however, their main guns should only have a 90 degree range of movement to their front. The turret rotation should be slowed down meaning they are horrible in built up environments, but dominate in open areas. The gunners should have more damage and accuracy against infantry but smaller magazines meaning more reloads making them better at range but horrid in built up or urban environments.

-Recon can laser targets for nearby tanks giving a type of target on their huds with a range and bearing to shoot at. Infantry can also designate for tanks main or secondary guns but their range is only 50-100m max.

-tanks should have the option of two types out of 3 ammunition. They can swap between them with a long unload then reload time.

-Lightnings guns should be reworked into making them useful. Weapon options could include missile locked AA, mortar system along with 4x30mm AA IR smoke, HE, flack or gas and main cannon with HE or SABOT.

-gadgets for the lightning could be air radar that allows for a lock on air over the horizon for its AA missiles and extended altitude lock but with only 25% accuracy for both options, jamming system that disables any nearby radar guided missiles up to a range of 3-400m or a radar system that helps detects enemy mortar/artillery fire and uses the mortar or AA missile system for counter fire.

-harasses should have less armour and HP but have more recon abilities like long range thermal camera, ground/air radar. Maybe a Small air missile system, mortar system etc.

-air should be revamped with less armour, accuracy and HP but more speed and firepower. They should be utterly useless without ground targeting support unless they are doing counter air.

-esf should have the option of ground bombing build with high speed AGM with little splash damage but more directed at armour penetration. AA build with speed and radar guided missiles main cannon or satellite guided missiles that works with the AWACS or Lightnings air radar. Lastly, SEAD ESF build with a good top speed but good counter measures with a stealth coating for long lock on times, it has a SEAD missile system that automatically locks onto ground radar based AA locking onto the ESF, does not work on flack or AA cannons.
    All ESF should have the option of radar missiles and main cannon, but choosing between AGM and satellite missile will mean the ESF with the sat missile with have a much better advantage in an air fight.

-libs should get a variety of load outs jdams, smaller free fall bombs, nose cannon that is controlled by the gunner for a10 like gun runs. The lib should have a pilot and a gunner and the damage from libs should be moderate splash, having the gunner allows for the lib to fly the best path without having to line up a bomb/missile.

-Gals should get a dalton like gun along with a zephyr on the side with a 3 man crew (ac130). Other options should be available like cluster bombs or 1000kg free fall bombs.

-free fall bombs still need a target designation for targeting data like when to drop at what altitude and speed on the HUD, where as jdams ect just lock onto the smoke or laser target.

**Maps and bases reworked**

-Remove all the smaller bases on the maps and replace them with capture points that provide resources.

-Make the larger bases more spread out with more smaller buildings for more urban fighting. Have more smaller bases around the main base 4-5 of them.

-Main base could have a command centre with a UAV/pred(different costs) launcher, emp missile. The range being just outside the smaller bases. battalion commanders and 2ic can use these to help defence or command if their command sundy, mbt or gal is down.

-Base turrets should be down for 10 mins before they can be repaired due to fire meaning you don't have to sit there and keep hitting them constantly.

**infantry**

-anti vehicle weapons should have their effective range reduced but the damaged increased meaning they are brutal up to 100m. Heavies can extend their AT range to 300m with a improved locked on rocked that is only at 100m but is extended with recon targeting. The weapon has only 3 rockets and they are reduced to only carrying a pistol. The other option is a Deployable rocket that takes 10-15 seconds of standing still and only has 2 rockets.

**summary**

These ideas increase team play. Working together brings greater benefits.

A reason to have command and platoons.

co-operation between infantry and vehicles.

air can no long just sit at a base and farm, they will need to get in and out before since they will be easy to shoot down, yet valuable to the fight for the firepower.

It would also mean being a higher ranking officer in an outfit would have benefits

Can spread out over the map more since a squads can be supported with heavy fire support in a timely manner.
  2. starlinvf

Not to shoot down the individual ideas, but the entire concept of a globally enforceable command hierarchy isn't possible with the nature of the players we have, nor should we give exclusive access to anything just for commanders, save some marker and intrusive intel tools.

I bring this up because, in major hind sight, the command rank system of PS1, and the Commander system of Battlefield is unnecessary, now that we have an effective map capacity of ~2000. Those tools exist to offset the fact that those games can't support the man-power or logistics chains needed to make them reasonably viable as player tasks.

But thats not the case with this game. We have the tools we need to make use of them in the battle field.... but our only real problem is getting people to coordinate better. This is more of a community issue, but one so deeply important that it causes the rest of the system to fall apart if not addressed. Command rank will NEVER solve this issue, as eventually everyone will have it (see PS1), and many will farm it just for access to unassisted call in strikes (just like they did with Orbital Strikes).

The Horizontal command system for the empire is one of the better overall concepts, because of its speed, simplicity, ready access to any willing players. Whats currently missing is a logical way to organize them by context, but still give ready access with each group from one of the other groups. You have mostly the right idea with passing Support requests through the UI, but it shouldn't have to be hierarchical or sequential in order to find a unit willing to support. .... well, that and trolls in the Command Channel. (Honestly, the big reason CC gets ignored is all the Egos and Idiocy of people who aren't using it for real coordination)

New Command UI

To that end, you can assign availability status to either your squad or platoon through a Command UI, with its own set of Hotkeys. You select the support type you are capable of providing (Armor support, airstrikes, Infantry, Rapid response, etc) using predefined categories. When a request is sent out, its broadcast to ALL squads in that support role on the Continent, and prompts the SL to join a temporary voice or chat channel with the Requesting party. Anyone who responds can then have a quick verbal discussion about whats needed, who will execute, and set map Markers. The channel ties to an exclusive smoke marker that can only be seen by members of that channel, controlled by any of the individual SLs who are present. The channel itself lasts for 5 minutes, or until everyone leaves or switches to another support channel.

That one change to help filter through the Command channel encourages more people to participate, by making the voice system more manageable.

Actually, I'll take back one thing. We don't need tools to make individual combat easier (like assigning randoms solo missions, lock-on enhancements, auto defenses, and easy hard counters).
  3. ColonelChingles

Tanks definitely could use more "active protection" systems. These could include:

1) Explosive Reactive Armor. Essentially what the in-game "composite armor" looks like, these explosive blocks can significantly reduce the damage of incoming enemy projectiles. They would be single use per side, cost resources per use per side, and could be refitted at an ammunition tower or ammunition Sunderer.
    [IMG]

2) Active Protection System. Includes your anti-missile laser, but can also be small bomblets or even a big shotgun.
    [IMG]

3) Laser Dazzler. If enemies are using locking or laser-guided weapons, this automatically locates the shooter and temporarily blinds them with a laser.
    [IMG]

4) ATGM Automated Defenses. This system can automatically detect the location where an enemy missile is being fired from and rotate the turret and/or chassis to face that direction. This enables the tank to minimize damage to itself or quickly return fire on the target.
    [IMG]
  4. SpartanPsycho

I still want this all added with tweaks
  5. Thesweet

When I say commander I know player are going to do their own thing, what I was referring to was they had the call on giving the go ahead to requested resources, if a squad leader asked for a larger airstrike the brig commander could give the bombing mission out but no one accepts it so it gets denined. He could also just deny it because he has assigned that bomber out else were. Making the choices he makes important.

Another way bombing runs could be co-ordinated with ground without command is if a target is lasered or marked by a squad leader than it is broadcasted to anyone with the right aircraft on that planet and when/if someone accepts than the next mission is sent out.
    I only bring up all this command stuff because as a player that normally fights solo I don't see a need to even be apart of a team, I steamroll when I can do my own thing and frankly it gets boring smashing 6-7 tanks before dying. Even orbital strike in ps1 where boring, but spotting for the flail was the best. Impossible to farm with it, even with a spotter. I think properly automated systems would increase the excitement in this game.

I agree, changes do need to be made. I was in my outfit squad the other day and it just felt like a Zerg following the waypoint. There was not team work or tactics apart from cap point move to next point. Very boring.

The classes are so simple as well, I loved engi cert in ps1, most crest allowed you to try so many things with neat little gadgets. Yet I play infil in ps1 and I have a cloak, a gun and a motion sensor. It gets boring very quick when all you do is spam motion sensors, snipe or run around with the smg. So very boring.

I think the tool that make individual combat easier will also make the game more fun with neat gadgets and fun toys, I mean no one watches James Bond because he has a pistol. We watch it because he has an awesome car that shoots. Is soles and turns into a sub. If I want a game full of skill basic boring comps I would play UT, or CS, something boring like that.

I think large explosions and cool toys to help other people help you has got to be more fun than just zerging. Getting together not just because of a number spam but because classes/vehicles actually support each other. The skill is there, it is just about teamwork rather than aim

When I look at ps2, I just see a 2000 player bf4, and it could be so much more. Probably why brink wasn't all that popular, it required actual teamwork over skill.