[Suggestion] How to keep infantry and vehicle users happy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thesweet, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Thesweet

We constantly see infantry being farmed in this game. They complain then then vehicles get nerfed.

I think if they made this game more like wargame: airland battle then it would solve both problems with the one stone.

-Planes in wargame can't farm because of two reasons:

1. They cannot hover.
    2. They need infantry or recon to spot for them.

-tanks also find it hard to find targets with out help.

If ps2 vehicles where designed in such a way that required infantry input to make full use of their firepower then:

1. Infantry would be calling the shots and be an extension of the infantries arsenal.
    2. Vehicles could be buffed.
    3. Squad leaders could be given command pads to call in air.
    4. No more farming or rain of dalton/pods

-A reason to have vehicles:

Remove smaller bases and add in cap points that;

Are quick to cap

give bonuses like air/ground radar, small arty with long cool down, limited range. AA missile emplacement etc.

Gives a small mount of nanites.
  2. FateJH

Pilots will have a hissy fit if they think you're going to knock the unique flight model of the game. Remember the chaos when SOE wanted to adjust the reverse maneuver?
    • Up x 1
  3. Thesweet

Either that or they keeping getting the nerf stick. I don't care myself, because there are plenty of other games out there. All I am trying to say is that maybe they would want to look at some RTS games and look at how they work since there maybe a solution to these problems other than nerfing.
  4. Xervous

Or maybe we should realize that lattice, poor base design, and redeployside are far bigger problems.
    • Up x 2
  5. Thesweet

I haven't had issues with the lattice, I think main bases could be more urban like for mainly infantry only fighting. I think they have already been worked on enough for now.
  6. The Worst

Wargame had choppers, which I closely equate to the aircraft in this game.

Also wargame engagement ranges are frequently 1km+++, and that is scaled down. Generally people estimate that distances were scaled down by about 3 times in WG.

Lastly, there were choppers and vehicles with exceptional optics, which is similar to upgrading your scope on a vehicle in ps2.

In summary, I'm not really following your logic 100%, but your idea isn't a terrible one...
  7. Thesweet

What
    What I am saying is give vehicles bad optics and have the infantry do what the recon did in wargame, scout and direct vehicles onto targets. Give vehicles cool powerful toys that are useless without infantry input and team play. Yes have the sucky weapons like nose cannon for backup 1v1 but reward players for working together rather than just the reward of being in a Zerg.

It would still be possible to have chopper like aircraft in this game like the Valkyrie, but give it a slow top speed. It will struggle to get out of AA if it gets to deep into a fight. Just like the ones in wargame.

I am not saying copy wargame, just that it has good elements that could please every style of play in ps2. Yes it is a FPS MMO, but I think being this large it could benefit from RTS.
  8. Dtswiss

Laser designator for recon (infiltrator) to target vehicles. Planes with smart missiles / bombs aka like bf series. Engineer could have scrambles to deny an area.... infantry would than have to take them out.

Add below radar.... flying low does not show you on the map and can't be lock on but u are vulnerable to tanks and dumb fire
  9. ColonelChingles

Although I'm not against implementing RTS elements in an MMO-FPS-RPG game in principle, would this mean that if I was in a tank and I could see an enemy target, I wouldn't be able to engage it unless there was an infantryman next to me "q spotting" it?

In RTS you can "hide" units due to "fog of war", and it makes sense. But in a FPS game, if a unit is "hidden" simply because infantry have not spotted it yet and becomes "unhidden" by simply appearing out of thin air, that stretches the limits of immersion.

So I would say you could implement this mechanic for exceptionally powerful/long-ranged weapons, but it can be difficult to implement a "fog of war" into a FPS.
  10. Flashtirade

In Wargame units can also fire on position even without direct sight or spotting of target. It's less accurate, but it doesn't really have to be when you're using multiple tanks/choppers/etc.
  11. Forkyar24

the minority of complainers are always going to complain viva the infantry people will always complain tanks are to powerful, op etc, even though they are wrong.
  12. Thesweet

Yes, that is what i ment, you still have less powerful weapons that are usefull at short ranges. Maybe kill another tank in 10-12 shots, but then you can equip weapons that require infantry support. For example, like a mega cannon that is slow firing with lots of damage and limited ammo, like 15-20 rounds. It world require an infantry within a laser attachment that relays targeting data to a nearby tank with that weapon. The targeting data comes up on their HUD on where to aim.
    This would mean you can fire without targeting data but you would be wasting valuable shots if you missed. Lots of weapon options could be available, mortars, missiles.

Obvisly there would be counters available as well.
  13. ColonelChingles

That would be a tremendous nerf to existing MBT weapons... I simply don't think that will happen, nor is it even a good idea for the game.

There are of course occasions where infantry support is simply impractical or impossible. For example, in extremely mobile tank warfare I might be flanking enemy armor and getting an angle on them that no infantry can see. Unless I personally dismount and lase the target, there's really no chance that infantry can designate the target for me. That, combined with the 3x TTK increase for tanks will essentially negate flanking tactics.

So what I would do would be keep the tank cannon damage as is. Instead, give tanks an additional barrel-launched ATGM like the Russian 9M119. Only allow the ATGM to be used if infantry have "q-spotted" a target, where upon the MBT would go through a reload cycle and then launch the ATGM. Not only would the ATGM do respectable damage, but it would also be able to engage the target behind cover. It would also be able to hit low-flying or slow-flying aircraft for considerable damage.

http://3.bp.************/-UTXNbdnHloo/UBaO6BLk8WI/AAAAAAAAACM/sO6mfJQXCPI/s1600/Russian+9M119M.png

Thus in a tank versus tank battle, the side that brings their infantry along will have an advantage, but if no side brings infantry then it will essentially be the same as it is now.
    • Up x 1
  14. Tuco

You mean get rid of Dorito spotting and no name tags like in WWIIONLINE? Yeah, that would help infantry a great deal considering their small size. It would also make camo a big Pay2Win thing.
  15. Thesweet

That
    I was just coming up with general ideas just to give an example but this is a much better idea. Weapons system like this that extend the accuracy and effectiveness of tanks but only with infantry support. Maybe an automated machine gun atop of the tank that activates when infantry laser other infantry near the under 100m range.
  16. Thesweet

Yes, remove Doritos for everything I think. Maybe have the spots still come up on mini map? but remove Doritos for sure. that way they might be able to develop radar system in the game a little better to pick up tanks and air whilst infantry can only be picked up in close proximity.
  17. PKfire

Na dog, just nerf vehicles. That'll do it.