[Suggestion] How to End Spawn Camping, Spawn Heroes, and Alamo Stand-Offs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Degenatron, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Degenatron

Zergs already steam roll empty bases. This idea is not made to fix zergs steam rolling bases. That is an entirely separate game mechanic. In fact, I'll go you one further:

If you try to control zergs with maps design which is focused around bases which can defend against zergs with even a moderate sized force, you end up breaking the game. Every base becomes a "meat grinder" like the days of the original tech plants.

Your points 1, 2, and 3 are essentially restating the same thing over and over in different way. I COMPLETELY AGREE THAT WE NEED BETTER COMMAND AND CONTROL TOOLS. But that is not what is at discussion here.

I wish I could come up with "a magic bullet" that would solve every issue with Planetside, but that's not going to happen. We need to cut the systems into chucks and tweak them individually.

You're fourth point I just don't get. Everyone else seems to think the ability to redeploy across the map and to chain pull vehicles because of the resource system are things that need to be addressed. You are literally the ONLY person I've heard say that resources are a problem and that redoploying is too hard.

I will say that they could tweak the deployment system with a simple rule:

You can deploy to any territory that is adjacent to a Neutral Zone or the Warp Gate.

But because of what I just said about the feeling of the wider community, I'm pretty sure that idea will NOT be liked by most.

The idea that people won't spawn, pull armor, and attack all on their own is a little preposterous to me. I see that every day. I don't see the NZS changing that.
  2. Rovertoo

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea! Yeah, some bases might need to be redesigned, but I think that can wait. Maybe keep major bases (Amp stations, etc.) the same, but let all the minor bases become neutral. I think this would also solve the oft-brought up issue of the lack of large-open area fights on the plains between bases. An interesting mechanic with current SCU-equipped bases could be like a contested point, having both teams fight over capturing it so they have spawn control.
  3. zaspacer

That is incorrect. Zergs currently:
    1) steamroll bases that have small spawn rates of new/ignorant players being routed by the game there (and some non-new/non-ignorant players who like to spawn against zergs)
    2) hit a wall of defenders who spawned at the base behind the one the zerg just overwhelmed. Sometimes these respawning Defenders have time to lay down a counter to the zerg, especiall if said zerg has to climb up a stretch of very vulnerable territory.

The suggestion by the op, would make Zergs:
    1) steamroll bases that are truly empty with no spawn rates
    2) lock out defenders from being able to spawn at the enemy base behind the one they just overwhelmed. The Defenders in the base that was overwhelmed *might* respawn at bases even further back in their territory, but wouldn't have any vehicles with them, wouldn't be ready to mobilize like the enemy zerg, might be at a bunch of different bases, etc.

I was not advocating changing base designs to beat zergs. I do not want that.

Making bases that give Defenders massive advantage just shuts down the ability to attack in the game. I don't think that is a good thing.

They touch on the same issue, but they cover specific different areas.

My general point was that the proposed system by the op won't work, that communication tools are one area of the problems, and if we are gonna budget/do changes, then let's budget/do better communication tools that work to address the problem.

My 4th point is that people are motivated NOT to leave zergs they are in, even when they'd like to.

It's too much of a pain to relocate to a different zerg on a different part of the map or on a different continent. Players would have to bail their vehicles, and wouldn't get any resources back. And then players would have to do a bunch of spawn hops to get to another place. And then they'd have to worry about finding the right console to get the vehicle they wanted. And then maybe the new spot wasn't as good as they hoped.

I fly ESFs, and I don't have to worry about most relocation problems. I just check out the map for what place looks best, then pick up and head over there. And if it's no good, then I can just fly back. I think you will find that ESF Pilots move around a lot more from battle to battle, because everyone else is stuck.

I can appreciate people NOT wanting players to be able to insta-port an entire army to a different location. As it would be too easy to use a teleporting zerg army to jump around and shut the opponent down. But if we keep what we have now, we are gonna see more and more zergs that just stick together because it's a pain to relocate. Maybe if players had the ability to insta-port their vehciles back to the ally Warpgate, and then could drive/fly their vehicles from there into an ally Warpgate on another Continent.

I'm down for that, but I agree that many others are against it.

Also, I don't think that solves the problem unless people in a zerg can communicate that they're all gonna redeploy to a new spot, and if people can't get some resources back for despawning a vehicle.

I fly ESFs a lot. If I see a single (non-Skyguard) tank spawn away from a Zerg and then try to play on their own, they are gonna be toast. I can just do dives from above them until they are dead, or Q-Spot them and have friendly air swarm them. Once in a whilte they'd find some sort of incline to help them tilt their weapons toward me to make themselves not worth it or some bridge to help hide them, but that doesn't happen all that often.