[Suggestion] How to encourage 2-man tanking, multi-vehicle-ing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by QuakerOatsMan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. QuakerOatsMan

I'll be brief: implement vehicle armor bypass damage ("armor-piercing") via new weapons, new vehicle weapons, or some existing weapons, etc. to directly deal health damage to vehicle occupants. This is, of course, able to be implemented in very numerous ways, depending on creativity (the damage does not have to be very great either).

What this will do: increase the significance of nanoweave armor, very greatly increase the importance of the medic's passive triage ability, greatly encourage multi-crewing in vehicles (-with medics, and depending. Internal damage may even be countered by potential certable options specifically for solo drivers/pilots to reduce such damage, therefore slightly specializing their role as such)

I know this will be a controversial topic. However, I find this to be a perfectly good way to address the several issues above, about solo-tanking, triage, overshadowing of nanoweave armor because of flak armor, etc. as well as a way to implement new content. Again, this is a concept; it is modifiable and should be treated as such. Please discuss.
  2. Zaik

wouldn't the damage being done through the armor be indirect explosion and therefore be better mitigated by Flak Armor, further increasing it's necessity?

You can encourage two man tanking by making the top gun just as powerful as the main gun. Which they more or less already did with the current Saron HRB/Enforcer/Halberd, at least unless you're TR anyway.
  3. Lewk

There is no need to increase incentive towards 2 man tanking. As it is the top gun weapons are highly effective against both armor and infantry.

1v1 a 2/2 tank will smoke a 1/2 tank.
  4. QuakerOatsMan

Well, my main point was to address several issues at once with one solution. Explosive damage becoming internal damage is one way to look at it, but there are more creative potential solutions that could reduce flak armor's utility in armor and greatly increase nanoweave's value (eg: biological weapons, actual armor-piercing round weapons, etc.). My point in actual two-man tanking is that a medic as a crew member would firstly put triage to effective use (in contrast to now), and buffing the secondaries might simply introduce balance issues. Also, a stronger secondary would not be as good in encouraging multi-crewing because the driver/pilot can simply switch between both roles while one gun reloads.
  5. UberBonisseur

Will it smoke 2 1/2 ?

And do you think infantry can blow up a tank zerg of 20 1/2 faster than 10 1/2 ?
    That's the issue.

The tank zergs as seen on Indar are just that, a huge ammount of tanks acting as a moving wall, enduring a bazillion of rockets till the base is surrounded by armor and you can't move out of it.