How to deal with Coyote Missiles?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Simferion, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Simferion

Hello, beginner pilot here.
    I started to learn the basics of the airgame and I can survive a bit in the sky. I still panic sometimes but even if I lose most of my duels, at least I'm not feeling so helpless.

Now I'm finding a lot of problems when fighting people with Coyote missiles. I don't own them so if I'm hover fighting with a Coyote user I'm dead and I cannot do anything. They just rush to me, unload the missiles and hit me, then turn towards me, rinse and repeat.

I cannot find a good counter. Any suggestion?
  2. IamnotAmazing

3. DevDevBooday

The only real 'counter' is not to get close.

Standard procedure though when faced with coyotes is to just die.
    • Up x 1
  4. gregfox89

You don't. You take it and die. I am BR 100, I have over 3,500 kills in esfs and I can't counter them in a 1v1 unless the pilot is bad. They are broken. Fly in a zerg with people, it's the only way to survive. There is no point at becoming good at dueling. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.
    • Up x 2
  5. IamnotAmazing

well you can always work on getting the auraxium medal on your afterburners
  6. Crayv

Your options are:

Avoid them.
    Use Coyotes and a nosegun that is good against ESFs and do better than them.
    Use AB/Racer to lure them near a friendly Skyguard.

They are basically the ESF version of a AV focused MBT. Don't expect to beat them if you are using the equivalent of an AP main gun and a Kobalt and expect to win a straight up fight.
  7. JackD

I try to reverse away from them since that makes it easy to dodge and in case they rush i try to reverse behind them. Works sometimes.
  8. Schwak

Pretty much. The only way to beat them is getting the jump on them or 1 clipping them which generally means they are bad pilots.
    • Up x 1
  9. Predatorv2

You have two choices:

1. You fly with fire suppression to have a better chance against other fire suppression esfs. But this will put you in a huge disadvantage, when you meet an a2a or coyotes user. Then you need a way better skill with your nosegun then the coyote esf and some pretty good reverse thrust maneuvering, to get the enemy esf constantly into a bad position.

2. You use flares, but this will put you in a disadvantage against other esfs with fire supp or when you get jumped. On the other side your flares, combined with some maneuvering, will give you a way easier time against a2a and coyotes. When you use your flares, you become immun to coyotes heat locking for 5s. That might not sound like much, but when you take the first salvo head on, then you can avoid the next two salvos (unless the enemy esf knows what he is doing, spots your flare and simply fires his nosegun for 5 seconds).
    • Up x 2
  10. McToast

Moin

Coyotes were brought into the game to cut down the skill ceiling by a good deal and introduce more rock-paper-scissor gameplay. If your enemy is below average you can try to stay at range, make a bit wider evasion maneuvers than usual and dps him down with your nosegun. It will be a tough fight and you will need more skill than your enemy, but it's not impossible. If your enemy is above average there isn't much you can do except running or dying, which often is the same.

Or you could get coyotes yourself and join the lame-train.
    Or you get into a Dalton lib and OHK them for those big salty ESF scrub tears.
    Or you stop flying.
    Or stop playing the game at all.

Those are all legit responses to the ******** that are coyotes. I hate them. I hate them so very much.
    • Up x 2
  11. Thurwell

To deal with coyotes when you don't have them you need to keep some distance. Medium range or long range are both fine, at close range you're in a lot of trouble. So running fuel pods over lolpods or whatever is very helpful, you're going to need that fuel to execute longer burns to reverse back and keep the distance open. You'll also need bursts of fuel to dodge the missiles. Then you have to keep moving, if you're the type of pilot who has to stop to aim even medium range won't help. Finally don't dodge in a straight line, time his coyote volleys in your head and when he's about to fire or starting to fire roll and hit the afterburn, making sure you don't accidentally AB forward, and you should dodge most or all of the missiles. Preferably you want to roll so that you're moving along his yaw axis, which makes it more difficult to adjust and keep his aim on you. You'll still take damage so you need to have good aim with the nose gun and destroy the coyote user quickly.

The problem is you say you're a beginner pilot, and what I just described takes a fairly experienced pilot to consistently execute and beat coyote users without using them yourself. So keep practicing.
  12. GaBeRock

Invest in tissue paper, to wipe the tears of your face. Coyotes are OP, and won't be changing for a while.
    • Up x 1
  13. tZonkD

Same way you deal with a shotgun user - its a close range weapon. If they already have the jump on you you're likely toast, if not either outrage or outplay your opponent. The coyotes are relatively slow; if you have a bit of distance it should be doable to stay outa most of its damage. If you plan to keep flying w/o a secondary, make sure you get your AB tanks fully certed if you have not already, it really helps.
  14. Reavx

One thing you have to remember most people suck at using these things because of the fact they are so easy to use.
    So that means most people spam them.
    If you get into a close range hover duel or turn battle if you keep up the usual path of the duel you will die.
    What you have to do is break it up now and then to be unpredictable.

Coyote users love to turn battle because it usually means least uptime of the nose gun and more uptime of coyotes.
    In this case for example the other day I beat a br100 coyote user by instead of continuing the horizontal turn duel, I went straight down and turned and came back up, I have stealth so its harder for people to detect me and it resulted in him firing many rounds of coyotes into the air in his effort to keep up his DPS.
    DPS = 0 if you miss and its the only way to avoid coyotes to make them miss.
    I have not watched Iamnot's video but if he is claiming you can dodge coyotes with AB tanks he is mistaken, you can not the user that fires them can only miss by not aiming them correctly in which case they were not going to hit you anyway.
    You have to be unpredictable you also have to be agressive and get that awesome alpha strike.
    If you can take 40%-50% of the targets hp in your first run you have a good chance of beating the coyote user.

Just do not get into close range hover duels, do not get into turn battles that you go in circles eating coyote rounds end on end.

In my AB tanks set up I can always escape vs coyotes too you are NC so AB tanks + Racer 3 works.
    Almost all sythes have hover 3 and most mossies, if they have coyotes they can't keep the AB speed.
    You can.
    There is a good chance they can't aim either so as you flee into the distance to fight another day you can come back, jump them and win.
    This is my tactics.
    The whole 'dueling' idea does not fit coyotes, if you want to duel against them properly you have to use them.
    Otherwise you are highly mobile ambush fighter.

Last time I was on I was sneak attacking small zergs of mossies and scythes and then buring back to my own warpgate from past zurvan back to the north.
    I am finding stealth very useful for such things but that is up to you.
  15. Simferion

16. IamnotAmazing

even if engagement radar worked, you still shouldn't use it (it's broken). Fire suppresion is the best, or flares if you're doing purely a2g. Just get some headphones, esfs can be heard from ridiculous distances, even close to render range. The stock nosegun is going to serve you better until you spend a ridiculous amount of time flying.
  17. IamnotAmazing

even if engagement radar worked, you still should use it (it's broken). Fire suppresion is the best, or flares if you're doing purely a2g. Just get some headphones, esfs can be heard from ridiculous distances, even close to render range. The stock nosegun is going to serve you better until you spend a ridiculous amount of time flying.
  18. Crackulous

There is no counter, because they're designed to be counters to those who are able fly without training wheels. Fly with others or go A2G. A2A is broken as it is.
  19. ZeroErrorz

TOMCATS NUFF SAID....
  20. Planetdoge

I think Engagement Radar was fixed a couple patches ago, because it didn't work for me before then but it works now. It's definitely helped me as a beginner pilot, but I like to think of them as training wheels. Planning on ditching ER as soon as I can and go for Fire Sup instead--definitely seems like the best (most versatile) utility in the long run.