[Suggestion] How to ballance NC splatmaxes

Discussion in 'MAX' started by huller, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Spartan 117

Thank you. Sometimes I feel like I am talking to a wall on these forums & you summed up the NC MAX experience excellently. I highlighted the yellow part because once people realize this, they will win NC MAX encounters more than not. If a NC MAX attempts to close the distance with you, you fall back & keep shooting. He will be overextended & you now have a opening. If he falls back, you have gained ground & can move up. 99.9% of the time I see players try & run up and bunny hop hump me, hell even knife me on numerous occasions only to be instagibbed, then private message me about how I am the sh*t player. People need to learn how to play & adapt.
  2. Purg

You most likely still are. The masses won't be happy until Scatter and Hacksaw range is literally reduced to nothing.

I made a quickie TR character. Went to an NC held Bio Lab. Killed 3 NC MAX with a 0 cert HA all by myself. They're not hard to kill. 1 rocket and a quick burst of Carv or a nade is enough from a single infantry.

People asked Higby to provide MAX vs MAX stats - his response was; MAXs actually do very little killing of MAXs - a lot harder to compare effectiveness of MAX vs MAX.
  3. Purg

Watch how rarely these will get pulled out due to the severely limiting factor of having a weapon that's only good up close and lack of mobility to get close to your target.
  4. Xasapis

If you move to 2:30 or so you'll see the flamethrowers in beta.

No idea if they'll be the same as in the video of course, but ... the TTK is a lot bigger than the shotgun and the potential to furnish your own allies quite high.

Not to mention that you can't see what's in front of you.
  5. Dkamanus

FLUFF = Story-wise.

3 Barrelled shotguns are better then 1 barrelled shotgun, in theory. Considering people are complaining they are dieing (IN VERY SPECIFIC SITUATIONS) to Scatter MAXes with Extended magazines on both scatter cannons, and MOST of them haven't played the Beta TR Dual Heavy Cycler MAX, I KNOW they are complaining for nothing.

I made the NC vs. TR/VS MAX tests, I know people are complaining. And even if they nerf the ScatterMAX, it won't be damage-wise, si i'm no concerned.
  6. JesNC

This actually sounds reasonable, with a pinch:

Since all MAX AI weapons are considered 'small arms', I think suggesting to further increase small arms resistance on MAXes across the board - except for headshots - would be a good idea. This would keep their effectiveness vs infantry while enforcing to bring AV weapons to deal with enemy MAXes.

In summary:
    - an effective nerf to NC AI MAX anti-MAX capabilities
    - an effective buff to MAX survivability across the board
    - a 'meta'-buff to AV MAXes, making them more viable over the AI variants.
    • Up x 1
  7. Xasapis

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/299003743180054528
    MAXs actually do very little killing of MAXs - a lot harder to compare effectiveness of MAX vs MAX.

We already know that of course, infantry and explosives are the bane of maxes far more than max duels.

Personally I don't see why NC can't have a longer range weapon variant and VS/TR a close range one, if they so wish.
  8. Dkamanus

I know that as well. I don't destroy 100 MAXes when I'm running my heavily certed MAX, I destroy infantry the most. Something both other MAXes can do as well. They are afraid to bring the Beta Dual heavy Cycler back, as it was a complete train wrecker it was. Whoever played it knows what I'm talking about. Good thing they are bringing the MAX to an update first. Just hope they don't bring MAXside 2 back.
  9. huller

They already said they were going to add in lockdown and the shield, but not the vanu flight. Basicaly TR get the same BS as what happened to the pre-GU 2 prowler, the only thing that deploy will probably be usefull for is dual burster AA. Therefore, NC scattermaxes will dominate biolabs even more and the only flying craf that will remain airborne for more than three minutes will be terran craft. I don't know what the Vanu get yet but I hope it's not too cheesy
  10. Dkamanus

For the VS, give em the Charge Ability. Take it off every other MAX unit, and give it to them. Would it be ok for the VS MAX users?
  11. Curse_Gamerkin

This thread appears every hour on the forums, its gonna get nerfed. SOE isnt that stupid to let something do so much damage and have shields ( i hope )
  12. Dkamanus

By having shields, the MAX has to give up his Charge, which everyone complains makes the NC MAX reach his targets with ease. Choose already. Is it powerful because it can easily reach positions, or is it powerful because its a shotgun? People must think pressing shift = charge ffs.
  13. Curse_Gamerkin

Most NC maxes dont even charge, they just hide around corner or sit in a room with 2 engineers and a medic. Theyde rather spam mouse click and get 100 kills than care about one guy to chase.
  14. Curse_Gamerkin

Also, Buff TR and VS maxes so we can be OP at range to equal the OP they have at CQ. perfect imbalances and what not, My mercies cant hit **** at range or close.
  15. BHB_rightnow

And TR/VS maxes have 5x++ (depending on weapon) rounds per mag. I never get caught with my pants down as a TR max. Tradeoffs eh?
    Lets hope flamethrowers, and maybe a AV buff (wishfull thinking), will even us out some more.
  16. BHB_rightnow

Those are fair weather maxes. Only ever seen in a biolab. I hate them too.
  17. Master

Nerf Scat max against OTHER maxs

Keep Scat max DMG against infantry

This way, NC max will actually think about rolling an AI/AV loadout. Currently the pure AI loadout is a no brainer.
  18. Krysek

Rather than nerfing NC MAXes against other MAXes or against whatever, just buff every MAX small arms resistance like inmune to it when fully certed into kinetic armor, or nearly inmune. This will punish NC anti infantry MAXes and every anti infantry MAX when they find an hybrid or AV MAX. This will even add funny slap duels when an AI MAX enconters another AI MAX.

This video just for laught, I am VS and I find NC MAXes good, just need more resistance against small arms in every MAX so they are no longer gods against everything, just normal infantry.

All credit for the video goes to TheSpaztasm
  19. Plague Rat

TBH if NC MAX slugs were better you'd see a lot less full scatters. Right now you see them all too much because it's all they have, and when you get posts like this calling for them to be nerfed/balanced, of course they go on the defensive, because that's the only advantage they have to make up for a debilitating weakness. But at it's heart, believe me, we're not happy about that being our only option as much as you despise how fast it kills you. The problem is they have all the same downfalls as a slug shotgun, with slow projectile velocities and the resulting bullet drop, slow fire rate, limited clips, high recoil, and quick CoF bloom, all while damage is still reduced to about half of the damage of all 6 pellets in a blast.

To really understand this experience, if you are either TR or NC (I'm hesitent to suggest VS try this due to lack of drop, but theirr shot speed is I think slower because of it, enough to hopefully still make the point) and have a standard infintry shotgun unlocked, as well as slugs, equip this set-up, and if you have the certs to burn slap a laser sight onto it. Now take it into combat and try to get mid-range kills (Beyond 10m) with it only hip firing. You'll see it's doable, but by no means practical. This is currently the only alternative to the scatter shot. Is it any wonder the NC sticks to them?

Now if the slug ammo had a velocity bonus of 1.33x to make it more of a functional rail gun. (this would give it velocities of about 430-ish for the standards and just south of 600 for the mattock) this would not only reduce the crippling shot drop, but allow the NC max a reasonable chance to hit targets since they lack the ability to spray and adjust like the TR and VS max, brought by the small mags and lengthy reload cycles.

I think if this happened you'd see many more NC MAX's hanging up at least one of their scatters for some semblence of functionality at range. I know I would. As it stands now, to have a decent effectiveness at even 30m It would cost me 2300 certs, for 2 mattocks for their better velocity despite their lower damage, 2 slugs, and then an extra 1000 for extended mags because more than a third of your 6 round mag. And even in this case, the NC's mid-range best is still worse than TR and VS's average.
  20. Purg

I'm running dual Mattocks with slugs now. I actually don't notice any difference to be honest. It's still pretty much a shoot and hope weapon outside of 20m, there's actually no real point in aiming precisely as the slugs rarely go where aimed. I'm convinced there's been at least a CoF nerf since the last update.