How come we can't have extended magazines and other "rail" attachments at the same time?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by prodo123, Jun 12, 2015.

1. prodo123

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  2. Hatesphere

Because they want you to have to make a choice instead of just always running extended mag. If you want it that way why even have extended mag an option.
    • Up x 5
  3. Iridar51

4. prodo123

In other games that honor goes to an increase in reload time with extended magazines.
    I know they're just trying to force us to make a choice but it's just illogical if you think about it :p
    Wow Iridar way to steal my idea :eek:
  5. Iridar51

Only the picture. Also, if you look at the date, you'll see I posted the issue ~10 minutes before you ;)
    Idea was kind of there for a long time now, not sure who it belongs too. Just recently realized the issue tracker might be the good place to actually post these suggestions. Much higher chance DBG staff actually sees them.
  6. Hatesphere

For most weapons that increase In reload would be negligible in combat unless made redunculous. Making it an ammo attachment is even more meh. Or does only one type of real world locic hold true for balance? Do soft point and high volocity magicly prevent you from putting them into a larger mag?
  7. ColonelChingles

Same reason why tanks can't carry a mix of AP/HE/HEAT at the same time instead of being limited to one type of shell. :p

Have you seen ammunition costs lately?!? Those special rounds are expensive! :eek:
  8. Iridar51

Ideally, Extended Mags should belong to "magazine" attachment category, and put stuff like double mags in there.
    [IMG]
    Would be nice if that happened eventually, but that's not a quick fix.

Moving Extended Mags to Ammo would be just a quick band-aid fix to 1st generation SMGs, which are underwhelming currently (unlike most people, I don't consider Cyclone OP, but that's another discussion entirely).
    • Up x 1
  9. prodo123

High velocity ammo might, because it requires a larger cartridge or different propellant.

Extended magazines are mainly used on weapons with very small ammo capacity, e.g. 1st generation SMGs. Increase reload time for SMGs by 1 second and it's about 4 seconds for a long reload, which is on the order of LMGs (longer than the MSW-R/Anchor/Orion), and a 50% increase for short. (1.8 seconds to 2.8 seconds for Eridani and Cyclone). That's huge, considering these weapons already have at most 40 rounds per extended magazine and tend to exhaust that extremely quickly.

That's my diagram right there, you copycat
  10. Iridar51

What?..:confused:
  11. prodo123

Brain fart, equip time. Ninja edited
  12. Lucidius134

I can get behind this so long as they buff HVA.

Reminds me of Brink. Ended up running extended and drum mags on everything when i first played and then defaulted to no magazine attachments when I got better at the game. Funny, that. It was pretty balanced in that regard.
  13. Stigma

Some stuff needs to be grouped into the same category in order for there to be meaningful choices to make about what loadout you want to use. What that category happens to be named is .... almost arbitrary. Gameplay and balance over realism - always.

-Stigma
  14. Pikachu

Double magazine, how about a double barrel attachment? :D This sh** is real. Gilboa snake rifle.
    [IMG]

There are pistols too.
    [IMG]
  15. Iridar51

Pointless and ruthless, like bad cosplay.

It's an old idea of mine - doublebarreled automatic weapons can be TRs thing. Both barrels would fire at the same time, each bullet dealing up to 100 damage. So you sort of get both NC's power per shot needed for ranged combat, without ruining TR's theme of sending lots of bullets down range.
  16. Pikachu

But that would make no difference from a 200 damage gun. :L Two bullets originating from the same point at the same time.
  17. Iridar51

Um yeah, that's the point. Each bullet would still have its own random position within cone of fire, though. Functionally, there'd be little difference from 200 damage. It's mainly about feels / looks at this point. Certainly beats just copying Gauss SAW.
  18. Pikachu

Ah good point. Makes a difference at range.