How can I improve my fps- Player models

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Beartornado, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Beartornado

Right now the one thing that tanks my fps on my CPU more than anything else is player models. It doesn't matter if they are standing around or firing their weapon, the more of them there are the harder it is for my fps to stay at a decent level. If I had the chance to request one hotfix that would immediately implement, it would be to nerf the amount of demand player models put on my CPU to such an extent that I would barely notice it. I could be shooting playdough for all I care, but it's not even the texture quality that's hurting me. The player models themselves just seem to radiate high CPU demands that only get worse the more of them there are.

I can certainly get by another month waiting on optimizations, but for the time being I want to know if there is anything I can do to modify my game or PC that otherwise quells the amount of pressure player models put on my CPU.

On a side note, I can drop the map render distance to 0 but it still wants to render players (even if I can't see them) and my fps is still terrible. That particular option in the UserOptions has little to no effect on me, the map rendering itself doesn't affect my fps.
  2. Beartornado

Bumping before I go to work. Hoping there's some ideas or things I can change.
  3. Alexlightning7

Very misinformed.

The playermodels themselves are only effecting you GPU.
    Its the fact that their are players playing as those playermodels.

The game has to calculate movement, bullets, the bullet physics, abilities, and collisions. Basicly everything that you do alone.
    then times it by 500(ok, more like 200-450, but large battles go higher. Technically it could be as big as 2000, but unlikely).

there would be absolutly no difference in CPU performance by making the playermodels look like clay.

The more players that are rendered, the higher the CPU demand will be.
    Which brings me to the next point.
    It is impossible to change the render distance of infantry.

If their was, people with high end systems would have a huge advantage. People could sit at the top of the world in Liberators and bomb the crap out of people.

the render distance setting only effects OBJECTS.

As for increase fps, look at one of the 500 threads on the subject in the off topic forum.
  4. Beartornado

Incorrect.

I've already sifted through those many threads but to not much avail.

I'm aware the render distance setting only affects objects, that's why I added that last bit about the UserOptions render distance not affecting players.

I'm aware that playermodel appearance does not affect my CPU, that's why I mentioned changing their quality didn't seem to affect me.

My machine is almost always CPU bottlenecked, only GPU if no other players are around (and by then I'm at 50-60 fps). As I stated I lag regardless of what a player is doing. I lose just as much fps at a warpgate where 100 players are standing around doing absolutely nothing as I do at a tech plant where 100 players are duking it out with 100 other players. So clearly I can handle everything else, which is why I phrased it "The player models themselves radiate cpu consumption." It's absolutely absurd that they by default consume so much even standing still.