[Suggestion] How about weather effects?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by The Big Cheese, Jan 31, 2013.

1. The Big Cheese

Hey all, this insane idea came to me: how about we ask the developers to add weather effects in the game? I thought that, for Indar, it could have randomly generated dust storms in the desert areas. These dust storms would affect the visibility for those who are not in buildings and would last for a few minutes. I had a similar idea for Esamir and Amerish where on Esamir there would be random snowstorms and on Amerish there would be monsoons. Let me know what you think peoples.
    • Up x 1
  2. SlayersGhost

Agreed weather effect and season changes would be great and with the new continent coming out should be neat
  3. Hosp

They're working on it.
    • Up x 1
  4. Kapernum

Not until they are done optimizing the game.
  5. Aegie

I agree that these things would be great as well.

I think the problem with them, however, is two-fold. 1) These kinds of graphics would add strain to processing and a lot of people are already struggling with the basic requirements of the game (would you rather see more of enemies at greater distance or see rain?). 2) The idea is great, add weather events and that adds a new layer of difficulty, but I would think a lot of people would simply turn the graphics way down so that the effect of the weather (at least visibly) would affect people differently depending upon the settings where those with higher settings would be experiencing the graphical aspects of the weather more than those with lower settings.

I think a first step in this direction could be having seasons where the balance of night/day is altered, eclipse type events where the atmosphere briefly and rapidly changes from day to night, or moon phases/cloud coverage where some days/nights are a brighter/darker than others.

Still, great suggestion.
  6. Playful Pony

It was revealed during the BETA, and it's coming. A HUGE amount of more important stuff to do first unfortunately, including optimizations.
    • Up x 1
  7. SlayersGhost

Cant wait.This game is very exciting,It is always fun to get in while the game is fresh and new glad i found my way here back in the beginning of december
  8. Rozonus

They will probably put weather affects in when they get the PhysX working again. There are videos of the PhysX particle effects in jump pads that look pretty sweet so they might be able to use it for the weather as well.

I've already seen dust storms and fog but I suppose they must be easier to implement.
  9. Morpholine

They already have fog active in game, although its maximum effect is set pretty low. I've taken note of the effect in the released version of the game.

They've even had it so thick we couldn't see a handful of meters, at times and places, in beta.

It's also tweaked with snow flurry effects on Esamir. I'm sure they have a dust effect for Indar.

The biggest problem they ran into regarding the fog, in beta, was it is possible to edit one's user options file (completely legally), and remove the effect completely. This gives, as a quick example, an unfair advantage to the pilot who has fog disabled over one who does not. Snipers could also gain similar advantage. Their immediate solution was to make it subtle enough to have little overall effect to viewing distance, except at extreme ranges.

(Note: I play on high settings. Some of the effects I see may not be present at lower settings.)
  10. Zakuak

Yes weather would be awesome!

Oooh man I can just imagine the rain fall on Amerish and hearing the drops hitting around me in a cold dark grey environment. Snow storms, sand storms yes please!
  11. The Big Cheese

Yah, I do agree that the advanced weather effects would put a lot more strain on computers, so I would like to see some optimizations for people with 32 bit OSs that recognize only 3.1 GB of RAM, like me...