Horribly low-performance i7-4700mq and 750m sli

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by dragonfire, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Octiceps

No problem. BTW just tried the Alan Wake SLI compatbility bits and yes it's working again. Moderate FPS boost with big decrease in input lag and microstuttering but minimum FPS seems to be largely unaffected. Cockpits in vehicles (Flash, Harasser, Sundie, ESF, Lib, and Gal) flicker but the flickering goes away after shuffling back-and-forth between first-person and third-person cameras a few times. The speedometer and altimeter on vehicles are also jacked and unreadable but that doesn't go away. Not too big of a deal though as I mostly tank and the smoothness increase is nice so I'll keep using the custom profile. I had pretty severe texture flickering and corruption in addition to the above the last time I used Nvidia Inspector for this game about 6 months ago so it's nice to see it working properly again.
  2. dragonfire

Glad to hear it worked out! And yes in some places it causes problems but overall it does more good than harm to the gameplay. The flickering in the cockpits only occurs for me in the aircraft the ground vehicles on the other hand seem to be fine but I guess that changes system to system.
  3. Octiceps

I get the flickering on the Flash, Harasser, and Sundie cockpits and the numbers on the speedometer and altimeter for all vehicles are cycling nonstop.
  4. Octiceps

Alright I'm gonna have to stop using the SLI compatibility bits. These kinds of driver tricks always cause issues of some kind and unfortunately the ones I am getting are game-breaking and killing my eyes. :(

So after playing with the tweak for a few hours, I've discovered that there is basically no FPS difference compared to before. I still get terrible drops into the 30's during heavy fighting and smoke and sub-30's while flying. I don't think any driver hacks can change that, only getting rid of the CPU bottleneck will. However, the perceived smoothness is much higher due to the removal of microstuttering and input lag. Even 60 FPS now feels much smoother than 60 FPS before, which is strange as microstuttering and input lag should not be issues at a high frame rate.

So the improved fluidity is all fine and dandy, but why can't I use this tweak? Flickering. Horrible flickering.

Not only are the vehicle cockpits and speedometer/altimeter readouts flicking, which honestly I can live with if it was just that, but there is a ton of UI and environment flickering as well. Whenever I pull up my main map and mouse over a hex, the borders of that highlighted hex flicker. The circular crosshair on the shotguns flickers and goes in-and-out of focus like crazy especially while stationary, which sucks as shotguns are some of my main weapons. Simple-mesh structures in the distance exhibit jagged black flickering artifacts which go away during the LOD change (the higher-mesh versions "pop in") when I get closer to them. The temporal aliasing (crawling and flickering) of non-straight lines in the distance is much worse than even what was caused by the FXAA from before.

So it looks like Alan Wake SLI compatbility bits for PlanetSide 2 is still a no-go, at least for me.
  5. acksbox

Temp limits between mobile and desktop parts are generally the same, they are just measured at different locations of the chip.

Desktop parts generally list maximum TCASE. TCASE is top of the IHS. Mobile parts don't have an IHS, so they just list TJunction, which is the actual die temperature.

A Desktop CPU near it's TCASE limit will also be near the mobile parts TJunction limit, even if these numbers are ~30C a part. If you are at 70C on the top of the IHS, the die is probably near 100C.
  6. Octiceps

Right I'm aware of the difference between TJUNCTION and TCASE, and for Intel CPU's TCASE max is typically specced about 30C lower than TJUNCTION max. TJmax for Intel desktop and laptop CPU's of the same generation should be identical, but what I was saying was that since desktops usually have better cooling solutions and airflow, the typical operating temperatures (not TJmax which as I've said are identical) of desktop chips are lower than mobile ones. I don't know how many times I've seen some desktop user freak out when he saw a laptop CPU running at 80C. Part of that could be ignorance and confusing TCASE with TJUNCTION, but mostly I think it's the difference in perception since the desktop person is used to seeing lower temperatures in his machine.
  7. Mortucus

stop useing a laptop to play pc games buy a tower get a 3rd gen intell chip or better and a 560gtx or better problem solved

laptops are just no way near as good as their big brothers other games will work yes
    but not this one
  8. Octiceps

Congrats on pooping in this thread. Don't forget to wipe (One Wipe Charlies are great) and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    • Up x 2
  9. Mortucus

i offer sound advice and u carry on like a child it would only cost 800$ to build a rig to play this game and i was like u i used a 670m and 2370m i5 cpu at 3.4ghz it was not enough to get stable and playable frames so i built a box

i been wacthing the thread for a wile you might not like it but your laptop is garbage for ps2 simple as that
  10. Octiceps

Sound advice? Please. What made you decide to come out of the woodwork? "If one has nothing good to say..."

And you and fumz are the only ones acting like children here, plus you write just like one. Have you ever even considered the reasons people buy laptops in the first place? Perhaps money is not the main concern. As for me, I've got a gaming-grade desktop, several in fact, but only my laptop is with me most of the year due to sharing limited living space with other people while going to school out-of-state. Which is why I specifically chose a relatively inexpensive and portable notebook that I could do a bit of gaming on.

And how were you "like me?" Your laptop is considerably weaker than mine, both CPU & GPU, and you were probably not knowledgeable nor experienced enough try to squeeze more performance out of it through overclocking and overvolting before giving up. And it's ironic how you call my laptop trash in this CPU-bound game when your CPU just edges out mine in single-threaded performance and loses in multi-threaded performance. And if OP were to apply the 200 MHz overclocking bin to his CPU he would meet or exceed yours.
  11. dragonfire

@Mortucus I have a desktop that I can game on but I am in a similar situation as Octiceps where I don't have easy access to my desktop. Why do you think laptops were built in the first place?Maybe for their portability? Garbage for ps2 what is your exact definition for garbage? If you have no helpful advice but only derogatory comments please refrain from contributing to this thread.

@ Octiceps Wow the sli- compadibility bits are behaving differently on your laptop? I only suffer half of those problems. Well I finally got time after fixing the win 8.1 sli issue for the y510p to download throttlestop. How have you configured the settings so that the temps don't skyrocket on your laptop?
  12. Octiceps

Yeah the SLI compatibility bits have being going bonkers for me LOL! It's a lot smoother for sure but causes a lot of flickering mainly in the UI. Besides the shotgun crosshair and map flickering I described previously, I've also noticed that it makes the hit markers very faint and blurry, and occasionally hit markers disappear entirely so I don't know when I'm hitting my targets until I actually kill them haha! I think the temporal aliasing and flickering artifacts on buildings might just be me seeing things as I've kinda stopped seeing them after a while. The lighting also seems to be slightly different (better) and overall graphics seem improved somewhat (less blurry and better anisotropic filtering?) other than the flickering.

Yeah you need to update the vBIOS on the Ultrabay card using the official update from Lenovo, otherwise SLI won't work in Windows 8.1 because the old vBIOS doesn't support WDDM 1.3. Sounds like you've already flashed it.

As for ThrottleStop, here are my settings:

[IMG]

I haven't really done anything to reduce heat as my temps are fine with my CPU configured for maximum performance. The most important thing you'll want to do is make sure Set Multiplier is checked as this will override the Lenovo throttling scheme and ensure proper Turbo Boost as I mentioned in my first post. As for which multiplier you want to set it at, that's up to you. You can set it lower to reduce heat but performance will be lower, and vice versa. Just know that anything above 32T multiplier is technically overclocking, as the 4700MQ at stock only boosts up to 3.2 GHz with three or four cores loaded. I believe you can set it up to 36T, in which case the TB bins for 1/2/3-4 cores loaded are 3.6/3.5/3.4 GHz. Your ThrottleStop will look slightly different in the multiplier box as you'll need to use version 6.00 which has Haswell support, but it should be pretty self-explanatory. You can also read the provided documentation as well as the guide here for more info.
    • Up x 1
  13. dragonfire

Thanks for all the info! As per the 8.1 vbios for the second gpu I had followed all the instructions and the nvidia drivers were fully updated; windows and nvidia control panel would detect the card but the card itself wouldn't work. Seems that installing all the latest windows updates fixed it for me though and its working just fine. Wish I could figure out which windows update it was as many people were having the same problem. Also that guide for throttlestop is extremely helpful.
  14. Gerno

Very strange how you're having so many fps issues. I have a friend with the exact same laptop and he's getting good fps. Make sure you have smoothing on though. I'm not sure of the exact reason, but smoothing seems to help that laptop a lot. Without it, he was getting low fps and stuttering. Also he gets 90% usage and up on both graphics cards in Planetside 2. Have you confirmed that in Windows that you are on high performance mode? Also make sure to force high performance mode in your nvidia driver.

You guys should also get off the 334.89 drivers. There's a compatibility issue with them in Planetside 2, so roll back to the previous ones. It's listed right on the first page of tech support forum.
  15. Octiceps

I've done all those things. I get 90% or higher GPU usage too but only when I'm at the Warp Gate or in the middle of nowhere. As soon as I get into any sort of fighting, GPU usage and FPS plummets. It's not possible to get near max GPU usage and playable FPS at all times with this system due to the CPU bottleneck. A lot of people like to exaggerate their performance in this game. I doubt your friend was telling you the whole truth.

I've had no issues at all with the 334.89 drivers in this game. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, or my hardware configuration simply isn't affected by the bug.
  16. Dragam

Octiceps : "A lot of people like to exaggerate their performance in this game. I doubt your friend was telling you the whole truth." thats very true... its like "i swear im getting 120 fps in 200 vs 200 battles with ultra settings and 4k resolution... with my core 2 duo and 8800 gt"... a slight exaggeration about peoples exaggerations, but some people are completely obvious about their lies like that.

Regarding the drivers... i havent been affected by any of the issues people complain about either. The only thing ive experienced lately, is that my cpu overclock fails sometimes, but only while playing planetside 2, which is wierd as game such as bf4 and crysis 3 has ALOT higher cpu overall usage... like 50 % vs 15% in planetside 2, but in the other games, i havent experienced any overclock instability.
    The same is actually the case for my gpu overclocks. In bf4 my Cards are stabile at 1250 mhz, while in ps2 they crash at any higher than 1200.
  17. Octiceps

Yeah, I've been gaming online for a number of years and just from talking to people in-game I've observed that players in this game tend to stretch the truth or tell little white lies about their performance more than any other game I've played. Some of the stuff they say isn't even remotely believable, like just the other day I had someone tell me that he was getting constant 60+ FPS at Ultra with a single Radeon 7950 (which I have in one of my towers) on his "50 in. 4K TV" over HDMI (LOL!) This specific knee-slapper was probably an example of user ignorance rather than a deliberate fib but you get my point.

Well BF4 and Crysis 3 load CPU and GPU at a consistently high level while usage seems to go up-and-down quite a bit in this game due to its unpredictable nature. Since overclocks are more stable at a locked voltage and clock speed, you should try disabling C-states or Turbo Boost on your CPU so it's locked at its highest performance level. Likewise, try setting Power Management Mode in Nvidia Control Panel to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' to lock in P0 on your GPU's while gaming. I had this exact issue you're describing happen to me in Rising Storm, where hardware usage also varies wildly. In that instance, my overclocked GPU would crash whenever a mortar or artillery explosion filled my screen, but only while I was standing in the middle of nowhere since it instantly made my GPU go from a downclocked and undervolted state to max usage. I never crashed in any other game, just Rising Storm and only during that one scenario. The crashing stopped when I locked in P0 so that my GPU clocks and Vcore never dropped while playing RS.

Of course, if the above doesn't work for you, there are the old standbys of decreasing the OC or bumping up Vcore. Lowering temperatures further might also bring added OC stability.
  18. Gerno

I don't know if he's getting 90% usage at all times, but he does get it in low or medium intensity fights. He never complains about framerate, so I'm assuming hes getting at least 30 at all times. Honestly in very heavy fights I don't think any config can get above 40 consistantly really. Not until the game uses more than 3 cores, and uses a better api like dx11. Maybe a 4770k overclocked to 4.5GHz paired with a solid graphics card can do constant 60 at all times.
  19. Dragam

Octiceps : thats exactly the kind of exaggerations and ignoarance that you encounter here quite often... but if you know a bit about hardware, then its easy to spot their lies.

Regarding the OC, i appriciate your advice, but i already have everything locked at maximum performance while gaming :) So nothing is bumping up or Down while playing, except for cpu loadline, and you might be correct, thats what is causing it. When set at extreme (as i have) it bumps the vcore about 0.05 during heavy load... so it might just be that Little missing voltage during certain scenarios causing it. It still seems strange though, as cpu load is pretty constant for me in this game, depending on the area... it doesnt go from 10% load to 80% load in a split second... its like 10-30%, or 50-80%, which more or less purely depends on the amount of people in the area... so it should be something the cpu can easily adapt to.
    But mind you, its not several times a day the overclock fails - its once a week at most. Last time it happened, it was in allatum biolab, with a huge load of people in there... aka constantly high cpu load, which makes it even more strange.

Regarding the gpu, ive noticed this game eats ALOT of power... the power Draw at stock clockspeed (with 80% gpu load) is about 130% (!!!!!)... ive never experienced any game making the gpu's using that much power, at so low load % and stock clockspeeds... which would explain the low overclocking potential in this game.
    If we compare it to crysis 3, with 100% gpu load, OC to 1200 MHz, then the Cards only use about 125% power, which is also why my Cards are cooler while playing crysis 3 (which is "kinda" ironic).
  20. DieHard2Live3

Learned a lot from this thread.

Not sure if ThrottleStop can help increase performance on my laptop.

And yes, I have a vastly similar (albeit smaller) laptop to yours.