Honestly, I really think that the Prowler is better than the Vanguard.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luminiouscow, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Luminiouscow

Or is it just me?

Every Vanguard I run to ends up being scrap on flames.
    • Up x 6
  2. Champagon

you are joking right? the vanguard is a MBT that has the biggest, hardest hitting cannon in game. ON TOP OF WHICH, has an invulnerability shield that it can use, AND still shoot while using
    • Up x 1
  3. Luminiouscow

The Prowler is good if you have good accuracy then.

Its cannon has the capability to shoot two shells, each dealing 1250 damage.

rip in peace vanguards
    • Up x 2
  4. Cinnamon

Prowlers are better than the others only if you are running without a gunner.
  5. Goretzu

Nope, not just you....... it is what the game statistics have said all the time.
    • Up x 3
  6. TheBlindFreak

The cannon's dps is normalized. The shield lasts for 6 seconds and can only take 2 shots.

Anchored prowler with halberd should out dps a 2/2 apap vanguard. Not 100% sure about that, but I think anchor mode should boost it's dps enough to do it.
  7. NinjaTurtle

So do I. I much prefer the double shot higher DPS. People complain about lock down because it's boring which while true, it is stupidly strong. I've seen Prowlers on various videos shred through other tanks so fast once they've flanked behind them it's insane
  8. NinjaTurtle

There is only one way to find out

Tank Smash

Klypto/Alarox vs Eskimo/.... and a partner of his choice.

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Verenz

Well the prowler is a bit more maneuverable and has a MUCH stronger gun (all 3).

On the other hand the vanguard has a little more armour and a MUCH better ability.

Also the vanguards second gunner is more influential even if using the same gun (this is a mathematical point, NOT a "vulcan is bad" point).

As 1/2 the prowler is categorically better. If both have AP then the prowler will win in a duel whislt also being faster AND faster at destroying sunderers/lightnings/harassers/magriders.

At 2/2 it's much closer, obviously the prowler is superior against infantry. For anti armour, the prowler can pick off exposed vehicles faster than a vanguard can (due to having around 50-60% higher dps whilst in lockdown than a vanguard). However in a straight duel the vanguard win unless the prowler is pre-locked down with an intelligent crew.

I would imagine that global stats show the anti armour capability of the 2 more or less equal with the prowler vastly ahead in anti infantry. So yeah, I think the prowler is better.
  10. Axehilt

The Prowler has been objectively the best-performing tank for quite a while. The aggregate stats show only a slight lead, while my own (older) stats show almost double the SPM with a Prowler compared with the other two tanks.

Prowlers have higher DPS. DPS matters more than damage per shot. (Keep in mind it's the highest DPS before they lockdown.)
  11. Axehilt

I'm not sure the Prowler would want Eskimo as its representative...
  12. Astriania

Vanguard is the statistically worst tank in almost every way, which is why it was totally mystifying that they chose to nerf it repeatedly recently (not only the shield nerf but also Enforcer was nerfed and the tank speed changes don't help the slowest tank much either).
    • Up x 4
  13. Verenz

You are not SURE if an anchored ap/ap prowler can out dps an ap/ap vanguard?

Dude, it's not even close the halberds are even and the prowler in anchor can almost fire 4 shots to the vanguards 1, that's what 5000 damage for every 2075 of the vanguards cannon?

I think (with max upgrades) the vanguard reloads in 3.5 seconds whilst the prowler I believe would reload in ((2.5-0.5)*0.52) about 1 second and also take 1 second to fire both it's shells. So in 3.5 seconds it would fire at 0, fire at 0.5, wait till 1.0, reload to 2, fire at 2, fire at 2.5, wait till 3.0, reload till 5.0?
  14. TheBlindFreak

Just saying I wasn't sure because I didn't feel like calculating it and I've never been stupid enough to attempt to take one on without surprise or flanking the rear. xD
  15. p10k56

What a nonsense. Only think I fear is this hovering alsotank:cool:
  16. Morchai

The prowler was the reason my TR alt ultimately became my main, even though I otherwise like the NC best.
  17. MajiinBuu

False. Vanguard looks cooler ;)
  18. USD

The prowler is better if you hit all of your shots and don't get hit back.
    • Up x 5
  19. Ripster

3.5 second for vanguard, 2 seconds for prowler. Before lock down. Prowler does 2500 ap damage, the vanguard does 2075 ap damage. So even with/out lock down the prowler does more ap dps. 592 for the vanguard, It doesn't take 1 second to fire both barrels, it takes about .5 seconds for r-eaim+fire. Using 2.5 for reload+fire give the prowler an even 1k dps. That's 67% more dps out of the prowler. The prowler also has 1000 splash compared to the vanguard's 500 splash. That damage is not included in those calculations. Using lock down gives the prowler ~1600dps and can kill a tank in ~3 seconds from behind. Something it takes the vanguard ~7 seconds to do.

Go figure, being able to kill stuff quicker allows you to get more kills. The reason people are saying that 2/2 is more even is because the damage ratio without lock-down is much closer. Halberd adds 363 dps to both platforms. vanguard is up to 955 dps, the prowler is up to 1363 dps, which means the prowler only has an additional 43% dps instead of 67% more dps. The decrease in damage ratio means that the shield allows the vanguard to win those head on 1v1 2/2 fights. Of course, if it's 2v2 2/2, the prowlers are going to win, because it becomes a 1v2 for long enough (one shot from the dying prowler) for the shield to no longer matter. And it gets worse the more prowlers there are, and once you get enough to alpha, the shield doesn't even matter. This is all w/out lock-down. If you can get in a place where you're able to lock-down w/out allowing shots to your rear (and still hit all your shots) then the 1v1 2/2 will still go to the prowler.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ranik

Prowler is the best tank?

That's why it has a higher skill ceiling due to the turret, a counter-productive main ability and overall the worst secondaries of all MBT's...

Oh yeah, real awesome tank there for the chance to maybe OHK two infantry if you direct hit them :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1