High Velocity vs Soft Point Ammo Types

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Adinatore, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Adinatore

Does anyone know what the raw stat modifiers are for these two ammunition types? I know that HVA increases recoil and "effectiveness at range" while SPA decreases velocity and increases wounding damage at 0-10m but I'd like to know exactly how much is changed by these two ammo types.

I've tested both ammo types out in VR and in the field and I honestly do not feel a difference with either of them atm. As it stands, I just save 100 certs per gun and don't buy ammo types since they don't appear to change much.
  2. DashRendar

HVA increases vertical recoil and minimum damage range by 10m. SPA increases the maximum damage range by 5m, but decreases projectile velocity by something between 5-10%, varying per gun.

Some people have the strong opinion to not use any sidegrade ammo type that the cons outweigh the pros, but I've always used upgrade ammos and I don't really have an issue most of the time. Standard ammo is fine though.
  3. VSDerp

ya buzz made a video on the small differences of this.
  4. starlinvf

The main advantage come in how they change handling at given range. SPA is made for <20m fights where the lower velo has no impact, but an extra damagecan give you an edge. SMGs in particular need SPA since the drop curve is steeper, and 3m is basicly point blank.

HVAs main advantage is the higher speed projectile. A differnce of 50m/s is huge once you get into mid range fights against moving targets. Really good on lmgs to make an impromptu DMR.
  5. DashRendar

Sauce? I looked through his youtube account, but couldn't find it.
    • Up x 1
  6. VSDerp

ill try and find it.
  7. Littleman

Stats tell part of one story. No one knows just how much faster or slower rounds will go with either ammo type. Bolt actions and the Gauss Rifle are top of line at 650m/s, while the Gauss S is only 600m/s and the Reaper 550m/s. How fast HVA makes the latter two's rounds is up in the air. I could top out at 650m/s, making the Gauss S completely worthless except for the underbarrel launchers.

Actual battle experience tells another. The VR won't really make either shine. I prefer SPA over HVA, just as an example, even over distance. Being able to see my tracer and where it lands actually helps me determine where I should be leading my shots.

Either way, BOTH do more damage over the same distances than standard ammo, up until the weapons default maximum range in SPA's case, and ten meters beyond in HVA's case.
  8. Goretzu

SPA I don't think really had any drawbacks if it is availible, the velocity decrease isn't usually noticable.

HVA is definately worth taking on some weapons, but with the extra kick it can make other already high recoil weapons a bit tricky. YMMV.
  9. phreec

They actually mostly just change where the damage drop-off starts and ends along with some velocity changes.

Here's an example with the Gauss Rifle S.
    http://ps2model-axiom.rhcloud.com/#dmg/la/1/7102H/7102S/7102