High Velocity Ammo sucks, what to do about it?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DashRendar, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Flamberge

Just throwing this one out there, but maybe something totally different, like reversing the damage drop off mechanic. So the farther the bullet travels, the more damage it does. So if you had HVA equipped, you would be at a severe disadvantage in CQC, but would hit harder at range.

Oh yeah, and I would be good in a recoil nerf.
  2. Shadowomega

If they at least adjust the velocity of the ammo type it would be more inline with its recoil increase, but as it currently stands it isn't worth it for weapons outside of carbine class. But to balance with its current stats dropping the recoil increase but causing the shooter to be auto spot on firing by 10-15 meters.
  3. Pikachu

Inceease the vrlo ity bonus to 50+%. Then it might be noticeable. When i started playing i expexted it to double.
  4. Shadowomega

50% is way to much 20-25% would be best.

50% boost on a projectile that has 600m/s would bring it up to 900m/s.
    • Up x 1
  5. QuakerOatsMan

They could just do something simple and add a perk for HVA like nanoweave penetration.
  6. JudgeNu

Well I correlate HVA with high recoil.
    Perhaps the higher recoil is, in fact, just too much?
    Especially with an "Advanced Foregrip"

I have been using AR's with 4x and using burst fire methods also using the HVA.
    I always forget that people say HVA is bad, but I have never really tested it myself.
    Lol I just removed ,again from all my weapons, but I should see for myself I guess.

I think that most of the time its about ideal engagements, that what is "best" is what is needed.
    Noone wants to use an AR with 4x cuz they encounter HA all the time.
    So HVA is bad because of the higher recoil at X meters you cant kill the HA.
    If it has good hipfire you have a versatile weapon imo.
    I die to HA all the time no matter what gun I use.
  7. DashRendar

I think that might shake things up a bit too much. This could cause such weapons to either be too weak in CQ or too powerful at range. I think the balance is closer than that. Although an interesting twist on this idea might be to drop down the shot damage half a tier and completely remove damage range. Say the gun with stock ammo does 167 damage at point blank out to 10m, and drops to 143 at 80m. The same weapon with HVA might do 155 damage through its entire range. Same deal with 200 dmg weapons, they would do 184 damage per shot and be essentially rangeless. Might be underpowered?
  8. Kentucky Windage

This list may be of use to some:

Data Analyst
    darthgr3g

I'm back with another round of attachment analysis. If you didn't catch it last week, be sure to catch my previous thread on Forward Grips, and see why you may want to "Skip the Grip" on your Gauss SAW or T9 CARV.
    On to the analysis! High Velocity Ammo is an Ammo attachment that is available to many weapons, and has three effects.
    1. Increases vertical recoil.
      Static 10% increase across the board.
      [Edit] 7.5% increase for Battle Rifles, 10% increase for all other types.
    2. Increases minimum damage distance. Static 10 meter increase across the board.
    3. Increases projectile velocity. Varies wildly per-weapon.
    How wildly? The TRAC-5 Burst tops out the scale, increasing from 490 to 600 m/s, while the Gauss Rifle Burst comes out the loser, receiving no benefit to its 650 m/s projectile velocity.
    Here are the numbers. Enjoy!
    EmpireTypeGunStockSpeedHVASpeedIncrease
    TR Carbine TRAC-5 Burst 490 600 22.45%
    NS Carbine NS-11C 450 550 22.22%
    NC Carbine Gauss Compact Burst 500 600 20%
    NC Assault Rifle Reaper DMR 555 650 17.12%
    VS Carbine Solstice Burst 515 600 16.5%
    NC Carbine Razor GD-23 560 650 16.07%
    TR Carbine HC1 Cougar 520 600 15.38%
    NC Carbine AC-X11 480 550 14.58%
    TR Carbine T5 AMC 570 650 14.04%
    TR Assault Rifle T1B Cycler 580 650 12.07%
    VS Light Machine Gun Flare VE6 600 650 8.33%
    VS Assault Rifle Corvus VA55 600 650 8.33%
    TR Light Machine Gun T9 CARV-S 600 650 8.33%
    TR Battle Rifle AMR-66 600 649.8 8.3%
    VS Battle Rifle Eidolon VE33 570 617.31 8.3%
    NC Battle Rifle Warden 600 649.8 8.3%
    VS Carbine Pulsar C 515 550 6.8%
    VS Assault Rifle Equinox VE2 Burst 615 650 5.69%
    VS Carbine Solstice SF 515 540.75 5%
    NS Light Machine Gun NS-15M 640 672 5%
    NS Assault Rifle NS-11A 640 672 5%
    VS Assault Rifle Equinox VE2 615 645.75 5%
    VS Light Machine Gun Ursa 640 672 5%
    NC Assault Rifle Gauss Rifle S 600 630 5%
    NC Assault Rifle NC-9 A-Tross 600 630 5%
    TR Assault Rifle SABR-13 620 651 5%
    TR Carbine TRAC-5 S 490 514.5 5%
    TR Light Machine Gun TMG-50 615 645.75 5%
    TR Light Machine Gun T16 Rhino 640 672 5%
    NC Carbine Gauss Compact S 500 525 5%
    TR Assault Rifle TORQ-9 620 651 5%
    TR Assault Rifle T1S Cycler 580 609 5%
    NC Light Machine Gun NC6 Gauss Saw 600 630 5%
    NC Light Machine Gun EM6 570 598.5 5%
    NC Light Machine Gun NC6S Gauss SAW S 630 650 3.17%
    VS Light Machine Gun SVA-88 630 650 3.17%
    VS Assault Rifle CME 670 672 0.3%
    TR Light Machine Gun T32 Bull 670 672 0.3%
    NC Assault Rifle Gauss Rifle Burst 650 650 0%
    Let me know if you spot any errors, or if you found this helpful. If you have any ideas for future analysis, just drop a comment.
    Thanks to Vanu Labs for the excellent source data, and extra thanks to /u/PS2_NCSam for pointing out I was missing Battle Rifles.
  9. Rabbitz

This is my idea.

+ add 5-15% damage to light armor vehicle, depend on weapons.
    + reduce some arm or leg shot penalty at longer range (weapon damage 60 pts at +100m, leg/arm shot do 30 pts, now with HVA it will do 35-40 point)
    - louder, increased range to appear on a mini-map (not as much as a compensator).

*Optional - 15-25% damage bonus to ESF, can tickle a liberator but not a galaxy.:rolleyes:
  10. KnightCole

What to do with HVA?

Idk, make it give a velocity boost that actually matters without a negative that counters the damn bonus?

you can now fire 725ms, but wait, you have the recoil of a hand fired 120mm Tank gun so you cant hit **** at the range you want to use the ammo at anyway.

HVA:
    +25% Velocity
    +5% CoF bloom maybe, since at range your firing a bit slower overall...idk. But atleast then you can get the gun on target and keep it there through bursting.....recoil just throws you off...while your firing at range...lol.
  11. DashRendar

Yeah a tad extra bloom isn't too bad an idea. Burst firing is the way to go if you want accuracy anyway. Only thing is most of the "ranged" weapons have pretty bad bloom as it is. I'm only worried that it might become too much, but conceptually I agree.
  12. DashRendar

Still a relevant topic.
  13. EnsignPistol

In my insane and varied ramblings about a wildly diffferent MMOFPS which may or may not be Planetside-related, I had two ammo types similar to the ones in Planetside 2, but performed a bit differently: Armor Piercing and Match Grade.
    • Match Grade Ammunition improved projectile speed, reduced bullet drop and increased the range at which you hit minimum damage, but also reduced the range at which you dealt maximum damage to varying degrees dependent on the weapon type, with close-quarters oriented weapons taking the biggest hit.
    • Armor Piercing Ammunition would negate a certain percentage of small arms resistance within a weapon's maximum damage range, generally enough to negate one added bullet to kill for a given threshold of Nanoweave Armor while doing more damage to MAXs and vehicles that can be damaged by small arms, but the effect diminishes as damage drops off, dropping to no added penetration at minimum damage, while also making recoil a little worse overall.
    The functionality of increasing maximum damage range akin to SPA is not associated with a weapon type, but is instead a property of a particular weapon platform, with CQC oriented weapons having naturally better maximum damage range and long range ones having worse.

I suppose something akin to Match Grade Ammunition would be a better way to handle HVA, since it provides benefits at long range while adding a detriment to close quarters whereas the current HVA has both benefits and detriments at range. That being said, an increase in minimum damage range doesn't impact much either way, since a majority of weapons that can equip HVA only drop one damage tier anyway. Unless you want to go around rebalancing weapons to drop multiple damage tiers instead there isn't terribly much you can do about that.