[BUG] High level crosshairs off a little?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Leivve, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Leivve

I've been rolling with my RAMS .50 for the past few days, but I've been noticing that my shots don't seem to go directly on target when using my x12 scope.

Some times times it'll go way to the upper left. At first I thought it was because I was on a sloop when It would happen and I was just slipping slightly, but after some testing in the VR I found it sometimes happens on flat ground too. It might just be a bug; and even though I'm holding shift the game still is registering the scope sway, but it was something I wanted to point out.

It's very subtle, but I've also notice that even if I have the cross hair trained perfectly on a enemy's dome the bullet will skim just over the top. But that might just be the angle (Normally when it happens I'm in an (slightly) elevated position.) So again this might be a physics thing, but if someone knows if the bullet IS suppose to go up I would very much like to know. I was planning to do some live testing, but there was a blatantly obvious aim bot (kingoe on connery) in the only good fight going on right now.
  2. Extremite

This is something that a lot of people have been noticing the last couple of weeks. Very annoying bug to deal with, especially when you're lining up precision shots. It's happening with lower zoom scopes as well...I noticed it with my Blackhand. =(
  3. Leivve

Someone on Reddit said that they did something with the physics for the blackhand, but somehow, it's applying to ALL guns and they can't find the hole.
  4. prodo123

It's compensating for the bullet "hop" so the bullet drop is more manageable at long distances.
    Not sure about your left bias though. Try it out with a stationary mouse. It might be an unconscious hand movement. If not, you should report the bug.
  5. Vaphell

there was some change to the scopes, i think they might be rezeroed at a different, longer distance or something because it's easier to overshoot.
    Top left bias does sound like the slipping effect. If you see your scope sway skipping a bit every second or two, you are going to miss. That said it shouldn't happen on flat ground.
    As for overshooting from elevated positions - that's math/physics. When you shoot horizotally, 100% of gravity vector works to bend the trajectory and you are used to the offsets required to counteract that effect. When you shoot downwards, only a part of it does (g*sin x) while g*cos x changes the velocity. All in all, the more vertical the attempt is (both down and up, at least in the relevant parts of the trajectory curve), the smaller the deviation off the course is and your usual offsets are going to overdo it and fail.
  6. Leivve

No physics would say you fire in a straight line till gravity started to push the bullet down, thus making a curve. The bullet is traveling UP first then down even from a 0 degree angle.
  7. prodo123

[IMG]
  8. Leivve

Except you can clearly see with the weapon model that there is a 0 degree difference. Technically your bullet shouldn't even reach the crosshair.
  9. Vaphell

Newton's first law says otherwise. If all you got is V then the path is going to be straight, unless the body is acted upon by an external force. That force is going to be gravity in our case.
    Just to be clear, at no point i mentioned anything about the UP relative to the LoS of the scope. Scope is merely a tool that helps with the right amount of correction but doesn't change the underlying principle.

The scope itself is zeroed at some distance which is nothing than a hardcoded offset accounting for full force of gravity at a certain distance. If you shoot at a different angle, the gravity is not affecting the trajectory as hard at least in the initial stages, so the hardcoded offset that is fine at distance X and 0 angle is going to overdo it at the same distance but much steeper angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ideal_projectile_motion_for_different_angles.svg

look at these curves. Steep ones are almost linear up until the gravity slows the projectile down so the peak and the rapid falloff occurs. Projectiles launched at flat angles are travelling along paths with significant arc everywhere. Sniper rifles are not trebuchets so only the first chunk of the curve is relevant, the one that is almost flat for steep angles, with minimal deviation off the course.
  10. prodo123

The image clearly states the angle is extremely exaggerated. Consider that the distance between the barrel and scope is ~0.1m and the intended distance is 100m. Then the angle between the barrel and scope should be 0.05 degrees, which is small enough for most people to assume to be 0.
  11. Leivve

I actually I looked at the models, It's 0 degrees.
  12. Leivve

I was just USING Newton's first law.
  13. Vaphell

Please elaborate how. Gravity is literally bending the would-be straight line downwards which is something that you apparently have a problem with.
  14. MisterSlim

Guys guys, no need for physics laws to be brought into this!

As a competitive shooter myself, let me explain how things work in a way that the rest of forumside can understand:

That diagram is spot on. Your bullet starts to fall immediately as it leaves the barrel. So, if you have your barrel perfectly perpendicular with your target, it will hit low. Always. As the cutely drawn diagram shows, your line of sight passes through your optics, which are then adjusted accordingly. When your optics are adjusted properly (to hit at your desired range of 'zero'), your muzzle will be angled above your target. At any range before your zero, you will have to aim low. This is not because the bullet is 'rising' or defying gravity, it is because your optics and barrel are still aligned to allow that 'spot-on drop' to occur at your desired range, and the arc is being cut short by your target.

I.E: I have my competition rifle (the velocity of my ammunition is around 1100m/s with a .284 caliber round, yay for 7mm Rem Magnum) and my scope zero'd at 300 yards. This means that if I aim the very center of my reticle at something 300 yards away, it is going to drop that bullet on it right where I want without compensating. However, if I want to aim at something that is 200 yards away, I will have to aim low, because the arc being created is cut short by my target, causing it to 'drop' the bullet in a higher place.

In short: Bullets don't rise. You point your barrel upwards, and an arc is created.

-Stay Fr0sty
  15. prodo123

Then the devs are sloppy. Get over it, this game isn't a perfect ballistics/war simulation.
  16. Leivve

I don't want it to be, we have ARMA for that. I just want my bullet to never go above the crosshair.
  17. prodo123

Then play Vanu. Otherwise stop complaining.