[Suggestion] High BR directive/activity

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheFlamingLemon, Aug 20, 2015.

1. TheFlamingLemon

As the development team had been talking recently about this topic, I've decided to share my thoughts.

I recommend that high battle ranks be given an option to play a sort of bounty hunter/mercenary activity to target other high battle ranks. The lore behind this would be that the targeted players are consistently threats to the empire that the player is fighting for, so the faction decides that they need to take action and knock the players down a peg. In a special operations themed activity, the high-ranking player would hunt down the enemy high ranking enemy with a tracking system that would bring the hunter into a 150m range of the target. After that, it would only show the distance from the target in meters, so finding the target would be in a warmer/colder style. Once the merc finds the target, he would have to kill the enemy and then join the fight for a couple of minutes before the tracking system engages again on the same enemy. The explanation for this would be that it takes time to reestablish the target after he or she goes through the reforming process after death. Every time the tracking system commences, the hunter will have 5 minutes to find and kill the enemy before they fail the mission and are assigned a new target.

After the pursuer has killed the high-threat enemy 3 times, the operation is considered complete and he is given a reward, that being both cert gain and progress towards a directive. Each kill would be worth 1 cert, and once the bounty is complete the player will be rewarded 6 certs for a total of 6 per mission. If the player being hunted logs off or exits the mercenary activity before the hunter can kill him the needed number of times, the hunter will get certs based on how much of the activity he has completed. If he has killed him once, 2 certs, and twice would be 4 certs. Desperate directive objectives would beset aside for killing targets and for completing the missions. Hunters would also be able to opt out of missions at any time.

If the 5 minute time limit expires, the hunted player gets 5 certs and points towards a directive. If the hunter leaves the mission, the hunted player will get one cert for every minute for which he was hunted.

Players would only be targeted if they themselves had enlisted to track down other players. The players could be killed in the minutes of the tracker recharging or even when hunting down other players. This would open up another opportunity for certs and directive progression through saving friendlies that were being tracked down by enemy mercenaries. Saving a friendly would be worth 2 extra certs.

A third way to get certs and another directive for this activity would be to kill the man hunting you. When in this activity, you would get some form of notice whenever someone hunting you enters a 75m range of you.

A fourth suggestion for this would be to allow all players (not just high BRs) to place bounties on enemies. Everyone gets salty once in a while, and this would be a great way to capitalize on that. A player would only be able to place a bounty every 10 minutes, and it would be free to do so. One would have to wait an hour to place a bounty on the same player twice, and each player decides how often they can have bounties placed on them by enemy players, with the max interval being 10 minutes and the minimum being 1 minute. This would mean that if I really hated someone, I could get my friends to place bounties but it would have a delay. I would place a bounty, and once that has been completed or has failed, a friend could place a bounty on the same person 1-10 minutes later. Bounties placed by players would be different than others because they:

A: Could be placed on all players, regardless of rank (but still only be fulfilled by high levels)

B: Would give points towards get another directive objective, rather than the standard ones.

C: Would only require the hunter to kill the target once

D: Would not give the target directive points for killing the hunter unless if the player was a high enough level.

The player who placed the bounty would get a notification saying, for example, "TheFlamingLemon had completed your bounty!" when his request was fulfilled

A sixth way to get directive points, but not certs, would be to place bounties on others. You would be able to place a bounty by selecting the intended player's name in chat or by going to a menu for it and typing it in or selecting "last killed."

Now, to detail the "mercenary" directive that this would be adding. (Locked to all players under rank 80, which is subject to being lowered to a minimum of 60.)

Objective 1: Target kills
    Points awarded for killing targets after being hired to kill them, whether by your empire or by other players.

Objective 2: Empire mission completion
    Complete mercenary missions assigned by your empire through killing your target 3 times.

Objective 3: Hunter kills
    Kill enemy mercenaries that are hunting you.

Objective 4: Savior assassinations
    Kill enemy mercenaries who are actively hunting teammates.

Objective 5: Teammate mission completions
    Kill players you have been hired to kill by your teammates.

Objective 6: Placing bounties (ribbon-based, theoretically)
    Hire teammates to kill enemies against whom you hold a grudge.

Objective 7: Evading hunters
    Evade those hunting you for five minutes

P.S: The bounties taken by players would be decided by an automated system. It would randomly give either teammate or empire bounties and would prioritize targets based on how close they are to their hunter. If the player being hunted redeploys out of the battle in which the "hunt" was taking place, it would count (from the hunter's POV) as him exiting the mission. If the hunter leaves, the timer simply keeps going down with no other consequence.

DISCLAIMERS:

1: I know that my writing can suck and that I can come across as unclear. If you have any questions feel free to ask in replies and I will try to answer them as soon as possible in the replies.

2: This is not a finished idea for an activity/directive. This is a fairly detailed outline to hopefully be built on by developers and other users on this forum. I'm aware that my ideas may not be good so if you have any better ones please reply with them so that we can build on this concept.

3: I sincerely apologize for the massive amount of reading anyone who looked through this had to do, I just didn't know how to shorten it. Thank you for reading regardless.
  2. Eternaloptimist

I'm sure these ideas are well thought out and will appeal to some people. But - and this is a purely general point - isn't this (and maybe black ops) staring to take us away from the PS2 concept of huge, face stomping combined arms fights that seem to make it unique?

One of my reasons for disliking Hossin is that there are so many 1-12 battles that seem more like death match games than the good old, human wave dust ups that I like so much. Another departure from the main concept that many people seem to dislike (well, many people seem to dislike Hossin.perhaps for different reasons).

I do applaud the OP attempt to create something that will keep high BR players interested. To be a constructive response I guess I should suggest something too though it is not well thought-out. Medics get a medic kills directive (HA get Max kill directive etc,) so how about a BR100 kill directive unlocked for other BR100s? Maybe BR 100 infils, BR100 HAs etc. could be different elements of the overall directive...............encourage the big boys to fight amongst themselves. Or the opposite? Kill so many BR100s as a BR100 Infil or HA etc.

Final thought, isn't the proposed Black Ops meant to be a high BR challenge in its own right?
  3. Devilllike

Dont like any of these ideas and especially the first one to hunt down a player,you do understand you have to deal with an army of players yes?except lets say you reach them why would u target 1 guy lol it just seems so stiff and unimportant and it honestly killing 1 player would not make a difference other than a hate mission lol...so no i dotn agree with that we need something to be able to affect the game in general like missions to defend or like the black ops update they wanted to add if you saw it after that minigames like player hunting is not a thing for planetside
  4. Pikachu

Talking about directives, can we please make them all retroactive? Why the f- are only weapon directives retroactive? And how can lots of players have 3500 directive points already? I have like 900.
  5. FateJH

I still do not understand how people do not understand that some aspects of the game just were not previously maintained by earlier iterations of the API, or were just maintained too poorly to be translated directly into a Directive.

What sorts of lost Directives are you talking about? are they hard ones?
  6. ronjahn

I agree it was a huge slap in the face to have to get 300 tank kills when the directive system came out to get my Auraxium MBT armor. Especially after looking up that I had like 7k vehicle kills with a vanguard at the time; I think I had that covered.

People with that many directive points probably have multiple BR100s. I have around 1800 directive points. Almost all of them on my NC, and then a decent amount spread to different alts which are all less than BR50.
  7. TheFlamingLemon

With a bounty system coming on live, what do you guys think about this in comparison to the version being put into the game?