"Here's your ammo!"

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by BlamTown, Dec 6, 2012.

1. BlamTown

One thing that happens a LOT when everybody is asking for ammo, is I drop it, and nobody notices it.. even if it's right near them.

Yes there's people who aren't aware of their surroundings, but I believe a simple voiceover saying "come get this ammo!" when ammo is dropped, would really go a long way.

Also has there been word yet of devs talking about fixing ammo not deploying if people walk too close to you?

Sorry if this has been suggested already, I couldn't find anything on search.
    • Up x 5
  2. SmileyBomb

Just a heads-up, most of the time people don't actually need ammo. People are spamming the Q key to spot enemies, but if you are looking at a friendly engineer, or you are playing an engineer, it can result in the "Give me ammo" call out. If they actually DO need ammo, perhaps calling out v+9 (Confirm) would get their attention. Or ignore them and only feed ammo to your squad/outfit.
    • Up x 2
  3. Vortok

Would be nice if you could respond to calls for medic/repair/ammo with your own icon, so if they're actually searching you can flag yourself so they can find you as opposed to you chasing them halfway across the outpost. Make it just show up for people that used the command to ask for it maybe.

I mean, ammo packs already have an icon.... but the other two.
  4. manfromh

This was in at the end of beta. If, as an engineer, you pressed Q while aiming at a dropped ammo pack, you announced "I have ammo here".

Medics had an announcement as well. One of them was "let me heal you" in a desperate voice, which made me chuckle every time I heard it.

I found it quite useful. I'm not sure why it has been removed.
  5. flipmoomonkey

One thing I would like to add is that if you are screaming for ammo and when you see I have the ammo kit in my hands you rush towards me thereby blocking the placement of the ammo box and putting it on cooldown before screaming again for ammo I should be well within my rights to shoot you repeatedly in the face with no repercussions.

Call it a service charge.
    • Up x 2
  6. Rasui

My response is usually to activate proximity chat and say "Yeah, I've got bullets right here in my gun. Now ask for ammo one more time".
  7. NinjaPirate

Aim at someone and hold Q, it will show a radial menu, you can move the mouse up to select the Top option which is basically exactly what you're asking for, then just release Q and you're done.
    Works with both Engies and Medics, maybe some other classes, i don't use it that often.
  8. Polarity

The problem with this is it's a little too clunky to do on the fly, or even reliably for that matter. Like you mentioned, Medics have a similar function, and I try to use it occasionally when people do the whole 'call for a medic then 180 and sprint as fast as they can away from me and refuse to stop' thing. Also, that radial menu likes to land on 'add as friend' a lot of the time which makes for an awkward tell. Anyways back on topic, for ammo it should just announce when you throw it down without having to press anything extra, imo. Simplicity is key.
  9. Marinealver

Sometimes I am trying to get a friend request and end up with ammo request instead. Ironic I am an engineer.
  10. TokyoShoe

Frustration #1: The default shout that everyone does while spamming Q to look for via targets in combat is "I need more ammo!"

Frustration #2: The icon for the ammo pack is absurdly small and only 18 inches off the ground?!

Frustration #3: There is currently no way to just shout "AMMO PACK HERE!" via quick voice command.

Frustration #4: Ammo Packs do place an icon on the minimap in order to make it "easier" for your squadmates to locate it. Unfortunately the minimap is so cluttered when you are at .. well.. ANYWHERE near a base... that this is a completely pointless feature.
    • Up x 1
  11. KlyptoK

I saw a guy using that just an hour ago.
  12. Mekhazzio

Do you have spare batteries?

I require more batteries.

DO YOU HAVE ANY BATTERIES?!
    • Up x 1
  13. BlamTown

yeah im completely aware of that, it happens to me all the time. its maybe when we just capped a flag, killed a bunch of dudes, and we're waiting for the cap. nobody sees it, but I know they're missing clips. i even use prox voice chat, every time. even if they have the ammo icon above their head, they always run away from me.. haha

but I had no idea this used to be a feature... very strange they removed it. maybe cutting costs for voice actors :p
  14. Zelcot

Hold Q, there should be an option to yell that you have ammo. It is on the top I believe. They should put that voice over option in the quick menu as well though.
  15. TokyoShoe

There "should be" that option but something I am discovering more and more often is that if I have a "less than full clip" in my weapon... the option changes from "Offer Ammo" to "Request Ammo", which is idiotic because they are never Engineers. Plus, using that "Hold Down Q" pop up menu in the heat of combat? REAL annoying, especially when everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
    (*cough* The Crown *cough*)

I think it would extremely keen (yes I said "keen") if we could do two minor things:

• Actively shout "AMMO HERE!" without having to specifically target another player (maybe that 'target the ammo pack' option?)
    • Actively throw up a big floating WRENCH icon above my head so tank / vehicle drivers can more visibly find me when we are doing repair pit stops. (Maybe have the option of putting this icon over my turret, visible only to friendlies?)
  16. gorviss

Engineers actually have two ammo packs. default 4 button and when you pull out your turret default 5 button...hit B...you'll see you're now holding a disk and the turret ghost disappeared...drop the disk...ta daaaa! It's a second ammo pack.
  17. TokyoShoe

Actually I always run around with Proximity Mines or AT Mines, so that it actually the only Ammo Pack I ever use anymore.
  18. Byohzrd

I NEED SOME MORE BATTERIES!

The "Spot Enemy" assignment needs to do just that unless the key is held down to call the radial menu where you can then decide what you are going to blurt out.

Make the Ammo pack bigger and easier the recognize on the ground... with belts of ammo, magazines, or "batteries" laying on it. I understand that perhaps we are trying to stay in some realm of reality with what a soldier can actual carry on his/her person but I have yet to see a HA carry a shoulder-fired rocket on his back. It just materializes in place of his rifle.

This might also be a good time to mention icon fade-outs. The icon hovering above the ammo box is nice but is unneeded when you are on top of it. It should fade away when you are in a close proximity to it. The same goes for the rest of the on screen icons.
  19. Riftmaster

The problem with that ammo icon over the pack is that it's tiny and can be lost in a crowd. Or against a bright backdrop that overpowers the holo. Or any number of things.

This, I think, is one of the reasons that people wander around asking for ammo when it's nearby. That and a lack of experience which would tell them that running around looking for that ammo icon is a good idea.

Personally I'd like it if they put the "vehicle ammo resupply sundy" holo over our ammo packs...cause it's bigger and more easily located...
  20. Riftmaster

For some reason whenever I see this thread title, I think of that stand-up comedian who uses "here's your sign".

I think it would be fairly epic if the "hey get ammo here" verbal was "here's your ammo" in the same tone of voice that said stand-up comic uses.

It would convey...so much more...than simply the presence of ammo... :D