[HELP] Simple questions I've never had answered

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sulsa, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Sulsa

I'll go first:
    • When you hit an enemy, what is the difference in the red crosshairs hit notification?
    • Is there a known range for /say? Is it within one hex or some ambiguous thing like 20 meters?
    • Why does /re for 'region say' work only sometimes?
  2. Techup

Well, I can only answer the first one.

The normal looking hit notification is just simply a body shot. The one that's "bigger" or w/e with the circle around it (I think, I really can't remember for sure) is when you get a head shot.
  3. Lazaruz

- The bigger the hit indicator, the bigger the hit. In other words critical hits like head shots or rounds to the back of a tank for example, produce a noticeably larger indicator. Whereas things like shooting an ESF or a engy turret with a rifle give you a really small one, indicating that you can damage the target but you aren't doing much relatively.

- No clue, my guess is 50 meters.

- Been bugged/broken for ages. It's a coin toss every time, and gets annoying really fast.
  4. Kurohagane

I was wondering on the first one too. At first i simply tought the circle-indicators are infact headshots, but later when sniping it happend alot of times without me getting kills so i tought maybe it's just when you deal major damage or something. So turns out these players were using armor certs or something, that didn't let me kill them in 1 hit?
  5. Techup

Ah. I was wrong it would seem.

Sorry for the misinformation.
  6. DEATHR0N

For regular infantry weapons (not explosives/launchers/etc), outer circle= headshot. The reason some people can survive a headshot from a bolt rifle is due to armor upgrades and range.
  7. Lazaruz

Bolt-action body shots also register as "critical hits" and get the circled hit marker, since the damage done by the shot is significant relative to the normal HP of infantry.

Don't quote me on these things though, since I might be completely wrong. But these are the conclusions I have made while playing the game.
  8. SharpLight

This is wrong. The outer circle is for high damage, what is that exactly I don't know but you get it when you cause a lot of damage to the target. No infantry can survive a headshot from a bolt-action rifle regardless of any upgrade.
  9. Gadamlu

incorrect, ive had it happen many times. they are just left with a sliver of health however
  10. kkibg

If you have maxed out the HP upgrade (can't recall the exact name) you can survive a headshot. Heavies with the nanite shield can also resist a headshot, but I don't know what level it has to be.
  11. SharpLight

I use the M77-B which does 1500 damage with a head shot, the maximum health upgrade gives you 25% extra health so that's 1250 health. Does a heavy shield absorbs 250 worth of damage? I honestly don't know, but even if it does I highly doubt that anything can survive the 1600 damage of a RAMS .50M (or its faction equivalent) head shot.

PS: HEAD_SHOT_DAMAGE_MULTIPLIER can be found on the FireModes page of the PS2 Weapon Data Sheets, the weapon's ID can be found on the ClientItemDatasheetData page by selecting the weapon's name.
  12. Soylent

Here's the thing. A body shot with a M77-B (or any empire equivalent) does not deal 750 damage. It deals a bit over 500 damage. (possibly 550 or 600, making it 1100 or 1200 on a headshot, making it possible to survive with max nanoweave)
    Go test it out yourself with a friendly, hit him in the body and it will eat trough the shields and a tiny sliver of HP. If it dealt 750 damage it would eat trough the shields and half hp.

The damage values on bolt-action sniper rifles on the spreadsheet are bogus, or infantry has some built in resist against bolt-action rifles.

As for why /re doesn't sometimes work. It depends on the population in a given area. Once the population is too high it stops working. Been bugged like that since forever.
  13. Sanguinary

As listed before, the circular hit indicator around the regular one implies high damage.

This occurs when getting a headshot, an inner-explosion radius (Dalton, Zephyr, pods, AV-turrets, grenade etc.) as well as bolt-action body shots. It used to occur with the CAS30 Tank-buster as well, when you were hitting an ESF at close range which initially made me think you were within the minimum damage threshold. That's not an option however, as it doesn't apply to small-arms or other similar weapons.

Some vehicles have locational damage, although most direct hits with AV weaponry will give a circular hit marker. To take this a step further, you can get a better gauge for the damage dealt on MBT's by the audio played when you hit them. It only seems to signify large damage, whether this is a percentage of the target's HP, I'm not sure, but it seems to be that rather than a percentage of your weapons max damage.

As far as /re and the radius of /yell and /say, I can't help you there, sorry. I'd be curious to know, though.
  14. Sanguinary

Oh, and the damage values are what's in the data files. Keep in mind Infiltrators have less overall HP, equipping nanite armour will affect your overall HP, and almost all weapons suffer from damage drop-offs. So yes, it's possible to survive a headshot from a bolt-action.

Maxed rank nanite will increase your chances of surviving one over long distances, as will the lower tier of bolt actions - there are also modifiers based on hit locations, not just headshots, you have extremities too.
  15. Sulsa

More questions

Outfits/Platoons/Squads
    I've created an Outfit, but I'm the only one in it because I haven't publicized it (because I have no idea what I'm doing)
    • Are outfits 'invite only'? i.e. do I need to manually add every person's name to let them in or can they somehow sign up themselves?
    • I got the "/orders" cert because I am mostly Infil and would like to help my empire with intel on what's going on. When I'm playing and I am 'in my outfit', I don't have access to the '/orders' channel because I'm not part of a squad?
    • How do I make a squad? I only saw the entry 'invite to make squad'. Does that mean I can't make a squad and let anyone join? I need to invite someone first?
    Thanks everyone :)