Heavy has to many options?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Takara, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Takara

So I do play me some heavy assault but, I feel like they actually have TO much in the way of anti armor ability. The Heavy shield is a big boon and I don't suggest it being taken away. But on top of that, they get an Anti-vehicle grenade that is just as effective as a grenade but also does damage to vehicles and maxs at an uptick? THEN they get to carry a rocketlauncher and c4? I'm still not sure why c4 is so wide spread.

In my own opinion LA and Engineers should be the only one's with C4. I'm still confused as to why medics get to carry it o_O Anyway it's just my opinion anyone else have similar thoughts of to many explosive options?
  2. andy_m

Stop it I say, STOP IT!!!
    • Up x 1
  3. OldMaster80

It's a class meant to be the backbone of the army. They are specialized in fighting, what did you expect? Imho they are fine as they are (and I say that even if I mainly play Infiltrator and LA).
    • Up x 1
  4. No_STG

Their only purpose in life is to kill. And you want to take their only joy? In the end, they would only to manage the will to kill... well, you know. Poor things I tell ya.
    • Up x 2
  5. Lamat

An HA with rockets, explosive crossbow, AT grenade and C4 is one of the best things for taking out shield deploy sunderers short of a tank/MAX.
  6. Bankrotas

1. AV grenade does 750 damage with bigger splash, so it's not as effective as 1000+ damage frag.
    2. C$ are best option to instagib a vehicle, that otherwise could drive away and repair.
    3. THERE ARE COMBAT MEDICS, THERE ARE NO MEDICS IN THIS GAME.
    • Up x 1
  7. JonboyX

No point in making any suggestion that removes the AOE options from a class, regardless of how well argued it is.
    Rockets/C4/Grenades are too big a crutch for many people to do without.
  8. Captain Kid

to many? I find it an extremely boring class that's why I play engineer instead.
    And vehicle grenades don't do much damage to infantry. And good luck hitting a vehicle with it.
    C4 is better for Light Assault.

So all that is left is the shield and the launcher. Lock on launchers suck mostly and the dumbfire mode just got nerfed.
    • Up x 2
  9. Nexus545

HA has always been the most ridiculous class IMO. I fail to understand why they have an IWIN shield, some of the best weapons in the game and rocket launchers to take on tanks, air and MAXs.

HA should never have been given the shield ability or so many weapon choices or LA should have a light rocket launcher. The fact HA has so many eggs in one basket means it's the most commonly played class. That's going from my experience, HAs are everywhere.

The class needs a nerf somewhere down the line or other classes need extra choices too so people are more inclined to play them.
    • Up x 2
  10. andy_m

I am surprised at your post, given previous posts of yours I have read.

What are we aiming for here? Just have one class?

We could then just hone it down to one faction.

Hey presto! QIII
  11. Captain Kid

Class might as well be removed. Give LMG's to Engineer and Medics. Rockets to Engineer.

The reason everybody plays Heavy is because of the Shield. It surprises me every time how much more bullets a Heavy can take because of it.
    • Up x 3
  12. Flag

I'd imagine mos AHs are using med kits over C4 unless they're actively going for a vehicle kill.
  13. Casterbridge

Eh to be fair the HA were designed oddly, the class has a shield, a rocket launcher, access to all the decent CQC weapons (SMGs and Shotguns) and in addition Heavy Assault Rifles (less accurate than Medic AR but a good deal more bullets) and PS2 version of LMGs (again a slight sacrifice in accuracy for a lot more bullets), in addition they have access to explosives, concussion grenades, AV grenades yada yada.

I mean they are the front line soldier, that's why I never complained about the shield, but the more I play the other classes, and look at their options and the more I look at the HA the more I have to say they went just a bit overboard on what HAs have access to.

I guess in the end I'm agreeing with the OP to a degree at least.
  14. Rift23

DURRRR, it's called a Heavy Assault, it's supposed to kill everything, HURRR. frontline proskill infantry.
  15. KnightCole

And then there are the times im sitting outside a base wishing I had a jetpack to flank with, cuz going up the stairs or a frontal attack just isnt going to work. Or a medic gun to revive my buddy so we can continue this assault. Or a cloak to hide in while I wait for my dead buddy to return. Or an ammo pack and a shielded machinegun to resupply myself and give some cover.

I sometimes go wishing I had a sniper rifle over my LMG for when im outside a base but kinda to far for my LMG to work well.

Yeah, HA is like the Warrior in most RPG games. Hes limited, 1 dimensional, predictable and overall not that hard to overcome. Its just Planetside 2 gave the Warrior a little love and some time in the spotlight. Unlike all other games that give magic, sneaking and other more "fun" playstyles all the love and power, making the Warrior kinda undesireable and boring to even play.

So they have access to pretty much every weapon in the game....its all they have...weapons. Nothing else really.

HA can be boring at times, but I like the security of mah glowy shield, all the extra bullets in mah sheeny gun and the rawket for blasting stuff in the face when I feel cheap and cheesy. As for Conc nades...those are a love-hate relationship...
    • Up x 1
  16. Takara

I never really find HA boring. But when I say he has to much stuff....it is because he already has the ability to kill everything in the game. The heavy has the ability to kill Max's(large mag sizes and rocket launchers), Tanks, Air, and infantry with out an issue. The shield is his ability to push a little further in combat or perhaps let him be the first into a room packed with enemies and lead a charge.

But I feel like the c4 and Anti-vehicle grenade just take away from the other classes. It makes Engineer or LA seem less important. IT is ironic that people in this game complain so much about vehicle spam( Explosive weapons) Yet don't seem to care about how many AoE weapons infantry are given or how easy it is to access them and cheap it is to get more. Most of the time I go into a base fight I see most of the infantry consist of HA...why? Well yes it is a class that is better at a straight up fight and survival, but it more about the fact that there just isn't enough of a useful nitch for the other classes. LA is rather useful but less people take it because it's options are limited, Infiltrator as well, I just feel that the game would be more enjoyable by spreading the Anti-vehicle grenade away from heavy and to another class.

The HA class is just too good over the other classes, perhaps letting the empire specific guns bleed over to another class? Not sure just thinking out loud.
  17. Eddy

I've always hated the instant I WIN shield that HAs have access to. It should have a charge up time or a delay, similar to the Infiltrator's cloak.

It's always such ******** to sneak up on a completely clueless noob Heavy Assault with zero situational awareness, start unloading your weapon in him from the back, seeing his shield be instinctively activated, him turning around and killing you, then you seeing that you didn't even finish going through his shield before you died.

Same for when you attack them from the front, but then they pretty much win 100% of the time.

It's one of the blatantly overpowered/badly designed mechanics in PS 2, right up there with ******** MAX suits and shotguns like the Jackhammer.
  18. Dracorean

Well given that the implant system is up for awhile I can say that a majority of the HA are using health regain implants, even lower teir is quite powerful. HA and other classes cant really heal themselves as the role goes for the medic to do such a job. That's suppose to be the downside of a HA, its meant to be survivable in straight up confrontations but it cant stay alive without support.

Personally this 'blurred' perspective of roles that each class has really makes it difficult to find utilization of every class for a specific objective. With the use of items, C4, and implants, it just makes classes more self sufficient than relent on other classes to do the job.
  19. Shinrah

You forgot that HA´s also have LMG´s which aside from a negligible longer ADS time have no real disadvantages to speak of.
    I mean why aim when you can just shoot more bullets, right? At least, this seems to be the playstyle of alot of people and also a reason why HA is super popular amongst low BR´s. You get viability against everything, and you basically get it with stock equipment.

Imho Medic should lose C4, and gain LMG´s. Give the AR´s to the LA´s mby? Dunno. Just seems to me that infantrywise HA´s just are too versatile without any disadvantage to show for it.

Edit: Oh, and that "HA´s can´t heal and thats supposed to be a downside". Imho HA was and is the only class where you can take medkits or regenkits without really sacrificing overly much. Yes no more C4 but you still have your replenishable RL, so that´s less of an issue than it is for LA´s who sacrifice their only way to deal with armor by taking a medkit.
  20. Axehilt

I find it's just obnoxiously limiting to take medkits as heavy. I may not always manage to fight my way past all the troops to discover some hidden sundy I wasn't aware of when I spawned, but if I get there and all I have are some ****** medkits, then I'm screwed. That C4 can be the one thing that wins the battle, whereas medkits basically never can.