Having a Navy in PS2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tiger81, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Tiger81

By this I mean actual ships in the water fighting each other. Aircraft carriers launching squads of fighters, destroyers blowing everything to pieces, and landing craft that drop off infantry.
    • Up x 2
  2. Dead soldier

Do we even have water in Planetside 2 that a ship can sail in?

It would be nice but doesn't seem realistic to happen in the game.
    • Up x 1
  3. Stormsinger

The only water I see in game behaves exactly like terrain, but allows you to sink slightly into it, and blocks damage occuring from above water-level. (Makes mines suuuuuck to find / counter, since they still trigger fine for any vehicles passing over)

Or it instantly kills you / blows up all passing vehicles that may or may not have encountered humidity from that water source.
    • Up x 2
  4. M2_Bradley

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  5. DorianOmega

Pretty sure they announced naval combat as one of those "DEEP INTO THE VOID" things in development, I wouldn't expect it until at least 2016.. or at least announced in 2015.

[IMG]
  6. Stormsinger

In H1Z1, this may actually be a valid leveling strategy.
    • Up x 1
  7. RyanGUK

Forgelight engine update apparently allows massive worlds, think USA size, so there's no reason why this couldn't happen in the future. They could actually bundle together all the continent onto one map with water between it, without any trouble.

Kinda beats the point of Warpgates though, is all.
  8. Rtwpygbzstpqacihfd

I'd love to see naval warfare but I really don't think SOE have the competence to do this.
    • Up x 1
  9. Pikey.

The amount of map updating that would be needed to make ships more valuable in fight deep within a continent would be huge and a lot of balancing would need to be done, but if this does happen, it will be one if not the best update that PS2 can have, if SOE can do it properly. If perhaps that all continents were on one map, which was mentioned in a post above, it will increase the scope for battleships and naval battles between continents with help from airstrikes with a new type of aircraft designed for targeting boats with torpedoes. Submarines would also be good fun to hunt carriers and destroyers like a harasser.

If this seems to be too hard, airships could be an alternative but would be very hard to balance due to its size and ability to go to any battle.

Both of these ideas would heavily promote teamwork between far larger groups of people, eg. 1 squad manning 1 battleship.

Imagine the scene of a fleet of warships advancing upon you. The game needs it.
  10. DatVanuMan

Not exactly. Warpgates allow you to instantly teleport to other warpgates. Just imagine this: A faction has dominated a continent, and you just won't have that. You and your allies decide to pull some plasma ships and Scythes and take back what's yours. Imagine, 25 ships in a fleet, with some ships carrying as much as 50 men. Also, you are able to traverse each ship instead of looking at the vehicles in third-person, and you can have naval battles, with each faction having its own ES abilities and weapons. You can also raid ships and take them over:)
    • Up x 2
  11. TNTerminator

Or, just make a new continent that is mostly made of water, ton of air and naval combat.
    • Up x 1
  12. IAmRedSpy

how about a continent where every base is an island separated by a lot of water and there are watercraft terminals just like vehicle and aircraft. There could be light flash-like jetskis that could cloak, really fast gunboats with autocannons, and destroyers that could hold upwards of 15 players, who would use turrets or infantry weapons. There could even be aircraft carriers, as shown above. Also maybe submarines?
    If the islands were far apart this could add a lot of strategy to naval battles, with attack formations and multiple fleets, and even support (repair and resupply) ships.
    • Up x 1
  13. TNTerminator

sorta what i was imagining, id just be pulling magrider... floatin on water
  14. BadLlama

If SOE was actually willing to invest time and money into developing PS2 then yeah maybe this would be a thing in the future but once H1Z1 is out making money and both everquest franchise are pulling in money you can expect PS2 to be in an even worse life-support mode than it is in now.
  15. Covah

There was water battles in PS1.

Because sunderer and ES sunderers variants.....and magrider were amphibious :D