[Halp] Green Screen of Death Crash on AMD

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Rydenan, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Rydenan

Hi all, I have two machines on which I like to play Planetside. One is my "gaming" PC, which has an nVidia GPU. Planetside runs great on it. The other is a small HTPC, useful for hooking up to the TV or carrying around to LAN parties. It has an AMD R9 Nano. It runs Planetside great as well, but only for about 20-30 minutes at a time. At random, the screen will turn green and the system will crash. This happens with 100% reliability, albeit at a random time after starting the game. I use MSI Afterburner and the GPU is not overheating, nor is the CPU. This card is the second Nano I've owned; the first was defective and was RMA'd for this one.
    Anyone else have this sort of issue?
    Or should I just do what I should have done in the first place and sell the Nano for a GTX 1070?
  2. Rydenan

Guess that's a 'no'?
  3. breeje

seems like you're the only one
    and if it's not your video card/CPU overheating then i have no idea whats wrong whit your laptop
    sometimes there is a protection on a GPU to shut down if it's continue over 80/90% to protect it
    but that dos not explain the green screen
  4. Rydenan

Guess it's time to start looking at those 1070s...
  5. Towie

The previous gen AMD cards were pretty power hungry so I hope you have a powerful PSU for the HTPC.

Green screen is classic AMD graphics card issues - if you can underclock it, maybe worth a try to see if it helps stability. Also try different drivers - look for DDU to actually uninstall the driver.

If, however, you believe that divine intervention is pushing you towards the 1070 - i'm sure you won't be disappointed. AND - i'm impressed with your PC budget...
  6. Rydenan

The PSU is 600 watts, so should be more than enough. I've tried different drivers and an OS reinstall.
    Underclocking does improve stability, actually. But I didn't buy the card to run it at 80% of its intended/advertised speed. So I guess I could RMA the card again. But something tells me that if I buy an nVidia card, it will work the first time.

And yeah, I'm a bit of a computer geek. ;)