[Suggestion] HA Overshields and why they should change.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by McFatal, May 9, 2013.

1. McFatal

I will head this post by saying that I think the Heavy Assault shields should be changed to only deflect damage from explosives.

Why? HA is the best Anti-Vehicle class, because it has the best tools to get the job done. Especially in groups!
    That being said, I don't believe it should have any advantages against infantry. After all why should it? It's the AV class.

What's wrong with the shield? It deflects bullets. This inherently makes the class better than the others because it takes much more time to kill a Heavy as infantry. It looms a shadow over the Engineer and especially the Medic.

Other class have lower capacity magazines, so they are punished more for missing than Heavies are, and against a Heavy it takes more skill input for the other class to win compared to the skill input of the Heavy.

Case in point: It's not competitive.

Most players play HA because it kills everybody efficiently, it has high capacity magazines for LMG's. That's okay, it allows for more kills before reloading and good suppression. It's the punch that Heavies can take that make them the best at killing infantry overall, and that's just annoying.

I think across the board, every class should take the same amount of damage to kill with bullets. It makes it a better competitive environment, and it makes other classes more viable for the roles they play.

To reiterate, the Heavy Assault shields should only deflect explosive damage to shine in their role as anti-vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  2. KnightCole

When people play in platoons and assault as a group like its supposed to be the shield isnt that big a deal. I know I avoid big battles....but 1v1, yeah, the HA should be better at killing. Besides, its nothing the OP shotguns dont handle fine.

I do know the horror of running into an HA as anyother class though. I have rolled a medic and yeah, I find myself looking for that overshield only to find out I die cuz its not there. The ARs and what not, they are noticeably harder to use...
    • Up x 1
  3. vilehydra

Going to stop you right there, with the new tank buffs our RL's hit like wet noodles unless in mass. It also only has an effective range of 50m on a moving target.

Engineers on the other hand have an ammoless guided long range missile launcher that also acts as a frontal shield. And AT mines, both of those outperform heavies with RLs.
    • Up x 4
  4. McFatal

Calm yourself down. Calling names and shaming will get you no where, all it does is make you seem like you can't come up with any other valid points.

I can condense your post to something more simple:

So you mean medics don't also glow when using the AoE heal? Do you mean that medics can actually shoot with their heal gun out?

Do you mean that Engineers don't go stationary with their turret? Can they also shoot with the repair gun out?

Are you telling me Infiltrators can actually shoot while cloaked?

Do you mean that Light Assaults don't gain a massive CoF bloom when jetpacking?

Every class's special abilities has drawbacks. And they are all major... aside from the HA's shield, I'd say LA has the best ability because they can still shoot and move. But of everyone, HA has the best ability by far simply by having an advantage in every firefight against any other class. I should clarify that they have the best combat ability, I'd say reviving as a medic is the most important ability by far but it doesn't aid the medic in combat, it aids his team.

Heavies can only do one thing? Heavies can shoot tanks, air, and infantry and do it all efficiently. Medic can only kill tanks and have to take a much greater risk to do it.

That's literally only because of medics being able to revive, but even still against a balanced team any medics that are reviving are medics that aren't shooting. I think this claim cannot possibly be made, because I could see 100 heavies beating a composition of other classes including heavies. So, that point is moot.

Heavy is OP simply because the shield deflects bullets, it makes them the best shock trooper kind of class. Slowing down doesn't matter, strafing is nice but it's not as good as the HA shield. That's blatantly obvious.

When my outfit rolls squads, we roll 1 engineer, 3 medics, and 7 heavy assaults in every squad. Nobody cares if the medics shoot anybody, they are there to revive. Nobody cares if engineers shoot anybody, they are the ammo for the heavies. The heavies take out all the vehicles and storm all the buildings. Medics and engi's follow behind because if they go in headfirst into heavies, they're going to die.
    • Up x 2
  5. McFatal

You are okay with having to use more skill than a heavy to kill a heavy? I don't get it.

I'm not crying, my most played class is HA. My K/D is better as an HA, my score as an HA is only shadowed by medic if I choose to revive and heal everybody(Which is boring and skill-less). Playing HA is more fun because I can kill more people with HA. It's not just an experience or an opinion, it naturally has better killing power than any other class.

And whole squads of engineers aren't present simply because they aren't as good as killing infantry as HA, which is my point. Most played class in PS2 is HA, because it kills everything and lives to tell about it.

AT mines are not better than RL's, because the enemy is required to overlook it. They do more damage, but they don't get as much kills as RL's. The guided long range missile is cool, but again, the engi is stationary. Sniper bait.

Heavies have RL's, they can move while they use them. They can lock on to air and ground, and tanks taking 1 less rocket to kill is not "Wet Noodle." The tanks were wet noodles before, now they're useful again. But 2 squads of heavies with lock on AV weapons can decimate any armor column
  6. Ripshaft

This is another situation where your impression of the design of a class is believed to be more accurate than the people who designed it.
    • Up x 2
  7. Leo Cyrule

Yes, I am perfectly fine with that. The heavy assault is what it is. A heavy mofo who will not just DIE. I am a masochistic gamer... I want to scream "DIE ALREADY! @*()(*#@" knowing full well that he only needs to plant three good shots in me. Now... there are limits to this, like when a gun out performs the equivalent (VS weapons lacking the threat level of all other factions, and generally looking like toys with charging abilities) , but player vs player... it's all about using your classes skills. I have a jet pack, and am much harder to hit. He has a shield, and much harder to kill. Only one will survive the show down... and only he who can use his trait better will survive.

Heavy Assault: Got you now! Is that a... *gets flash banged after being distracted by the jet pack. Then shot to death*

I got used to swapping weapons when I am out. And the Vanu default pistol... though it's garbage... it still kills.
    • Up x 1
  8. Bill Hicks

• Up x 2
  9. Salganos

That shield might be less popular if people took more than a fraction of a second to die in this game.

But honestly I kind of agree that it's somewhat OP, and that Heavies having their own gun class that overlaps so thoroughly with others with badly defined advantages (especially for people starting with the Orion) produces a difficult to understand balance mess.

It isn't an LMG, its a fat carbine with a fat clip. Carbines aren't all carbines, many of them are technically high accuracy assault rifles without an enforced burst-fire mode. And assault rifles are exclusive to ... the medic. What.

I hate the state of this game's class system.
  10. Konfuzfanten

An engi with a AV turret+mines is a more effective AV option then a HA with a rocket launcher, since a single HA will have a very hard time kill a tank - the HA will run out of ammo.

Its not the AV class, the engi is as good a AV class with its unlimited ammo, mines and turret.

The heavy assault is called heavy assault for a reason, just like the engi and medic aint called "Assault infantry with repair kit" or "Assault infantry with heal kit"

Carbine = lower mag size for more killing power/faster/better TTK.

If you play a medic, LA, inf or engi has a HA you are gonna lose, just as if the HA tried to play a inf, medic, engi or LA.

Its called class specialty, just like the LA can fly, medic can rez, engi can repair and inf can stealth. Its annoying, but its a class thing.

Because then the HA would just be a gimped engi with less utility/versatility and a worse gun.

And lets be clear here the carbines are a better zero-50 meter weapons then LMGs.

The HA shield is its class ability, not the rocket launcher. The HA got good versatility and the best survability because thats what the class does. It Out lasts other in combat.
    • Up x 4
  11. MorganM

Which is precisely why I pljay ENG most of the time. It does almost everything my HA can and often better.

Only reason I switch to HA is to use my striker on something that's hard to hit with my AV turret. Like aircraft or armor that's on the move further than a few hundred meters out.
  12. Ghosty11

If any class has an easier time dealing with the HA it's the medic. Barring shot gun spam, the medic can wear an HA down by using cover and movement while healing to wear down an HA in 1v1. Advanced Shield Capacitor is great for this in smaller sized engagements, fire a few rounds into the HA to take down his shield, or force him to pop over shield, dive back to cover to heal and regen shields. Then go back at it, or wait for the HA to charge you, the CQC AR's are better than SMG's and LMG's in CQC.
    • Up x 1
  13. KnightCole

Lol, I think the HA has made me lazy. HA is a good fun class overall. Im bad with the medic and idk a good gun to aim for on the NC Medic. I hate using the NC1.
  14. Ghosty11

I believe the GR-22 is your CQC AR. I believe the Carnage BR was also recently buffed.
  15. Armgarion

The medic is my 2nd favorite fighting class cause of the assault rifle, and the fact that after every battle if for some reason I take health damage I can just heal it back up without wasting 70 infantry points.

But as much fun as I have fighting with the medic I have more fun throwing heal grenades and reviving people, healing shielded heavies, running into a room and instead of attacking the enemy in my room I'll revive the guy he killed and make him do it for me (a lot of people have trouble hitting a moving target)

Although I'm a heavy/MAX for life so I usually reserve medic for double XP weekends
  16. McFatal

All you did was take my words out of context or just fail to comprehend what I said.

You insulted yourself the entire post lol.
  17. FnkyTwn

You're completely right! All classes should take the same amount of bullets
    to kill, and we should all have the same guns, and the other classes certainly
    don't need their extra abilities either. I shouldn't have to shoot in the 'air' of all
    places to kill LAs, and I shouldn't be forced (like this is prison) to strain my
    eyes to see cloaked Infiltrators either, so like you were saying.. lets do away
    with the classes and work on making this game a lot more bland easier.

Let's just dumb this game down to the lowest level possible and have one class
    that can do it all exactly the same. If one of us can fly, then we can all fly, and
    if one of us can heal and overshield, then we should be able to too, and all at
    the same time too! I can't wait to have my cloaked, flying, shielded, healing
    soldier rush into battle to fire 'Generic Gun 02' (I heard they're releasing more
    guns next patch, and they're just like the current ones, but they have an '03'
    in their name.. which I can't wait to buy.. take my money please soe!!@!).
    • Up x 4
  18. McFatal

You're reading a bit to in to it. HA is the most played class because of the gimmicky advantage it has.
  19. FnkyTwn

What name do you play under? I'm interested in what class you like to play the most.
    • Up x 1
  20. McFatal

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428010618035375921/stats

I play HA mostly, I thought I mentioned that before but I must have backspaced to say something else.

Been trying to play Medic recently just for more certs.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a great player, just average. I used to play Console games, I was good at those but eventually I caught a glimpse of how much more adept PC players are on PC FPS games, so I switched to PC during the PS2 beta, hence my terribad K/D. It's a rough transition, but there's my info. I use a different forum name because I don't particularly like threads to devolve into epeen comparisons.