GTX 660 Safe Temperature

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ewokinarmor, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ewokinarmor

Hey. I recently bought and installed a new GTX 660, so I have been playing on ultra (shadows on medium, just to be safe), with no ill effects, and I love it. Usually, the GPU temperature never goes above 60C, usually staying at 55-58. However, when I go on Hossin, it goes up to about 65C more than I would like. Is that still a safe temperature for the card? I usually minimize the screen after I die to let it cool down and take a rest before my next life, but will these temperatures shorten the life of the card drastically? Speaking of which, how long is the average GTX 660 lifespan? Thanks.
  2. Smagjus

Everything up to 70°C is cool for a card like that. 80°C would be also okay and 90°C is where you start worrying about it.
  3. ata98

Install MSI Afterburner and increase the fan speed
  4. Smagjus

Nope, don't. There is no issue here.
  5. BlackDove

Cooler components typically last longer. My Gigabyte Windforce 560ti failed shortly after installing ps2 and i replaced it with a 660ti which i have the power target limited to 80% and a custom fan profile to keep it cool and prevent it from boosting. You can do the same if you want to keep it from boosting and getting hot in ps2.

If you look around the forum youll find that a lot of people have been having heat issues with ps2.

Seems to be related to the 2D menus. Other games that use the same ui have similar issues.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ase-get-rid-of-the-scaleform-ui-menus.186679/
  6. SuperMedicated

60c is perfectly fine, 70c is getting hot and 80c your gpu will live less, IF you really want it to last long set the fan to a higher speed via a program such as msi afterburner like the other guy mentioned as this is the first thing you will want to do to cool a GPU down
  7. Lavans

According to most review sites, a reference model GTX 660 can go up to the high 60c to low 70c range.
    Both the GTX 660 and GTX 680, use the same GPU, the GK 104. The GK 104 is known to average around the high 70c to low 80c range on a reference model GTX 680.
    65c is quite cool for any video card. I would not worry about the lifespan of your video card being shortened with those temps.
  8. BlackDove

Actually the 660 is GK106 which is a smaller(5 SMX in 3 GPCs) chip. GK104 has 8 SMXs on it in 4 GPCs.

Its a smaller and typically cooler running chip than the GK104. Thats not a dangerous temperature but it is pretty warm for a GK106 unless its highly loaded.

The 660ti, 670, 760, 680, 690, K5000, K2 and K10 are GK104 cards.
  9. EmeraldShadow

You want to keep it under 70c, You can increase the fan speed using a program named "MSI afterburner"

Also I am surprised your card runs so cool, my GTX 660Ti runs very very hot at stock fan speeds (85c~) even in a case with great airflow and a water cooled CPU...
  10. Echa

11. BlackDove

Thats the maximum temperature the silicon will get before it throttles to prevent damage.

If your GPU gets anywhere near that temperature theres something wrong and your capacitors will be cooking.

Thereas really no reason for a GK106 to be above 70C if its in a well ventilated case amd the fan is working.