[BUG] Grenade launcher drop

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Armchair, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Armchair

Looking over the recent patch notes, there were a few changes to the grenade launcher.

Apparently somehow the projectile drop of the GL was MASSIVELY increased. The range of the GL is now pathetic and you practically need to aim six inches above a target just to get the grenade to land on the other side of the street.
    It feels like range of the hand grenade is greater.
    • Up x 3
  2. Anti-Skub

Doesn't feel accidental, feels like a stealth nerf but maybe I'm wrong. I would like the old trajectory back as well.
  3. Ronbo Tex

Agreed. Drop is significant to the point of almost being unusable.

On the other hand.... the grenade launcher seems to be consistently reloading properly. Not something mentioned in the notes.
  4. centurionvi

Its like shooting a bowling ball now.
  5. Dusty El Lion

I'm not having a huge problem with it once I adjusted, and the arc makes getting over walls easier now.
  6. SILEIGHTY

I'm okay with this nerf, the real problem is that they still do not reload properly and you still get the bug where swapping to main gun is broken unless swapping to pistol or anything else before swapping back to main gun. They could've mentioned it in patch notes too.
  7. Grotpar

Trajectory nerf would've been fine without the arming time.
    Same with the arming time being fine without a trajectory nerf.

It's a classic case of nerfing too many things at a time.

These massive kill sprees that were happening were happening at long range, not in close quarters.
    As a result, they should've left the arming time out, but nerfed the trajectory.

Then again, trajectory nerf might be a bug.
    But the nerf would make a lot of sense considering these massive kill spree videos where you chuck a bunch of grenades at long range.
  8. Talizzar

I found the UB nade launcher pretty bad, but that is good. Do we really need another skillless killing machine in the game?
    • Up x 1
  9. Iksniljiksul

They should have put it in the patch notes. Logging on to find that my grenade falls way short resulted in a few TKs, and that's not kosher man.

That's a rather dumb viewpoint don't you think?

Tapping the mouse button while tapping a keyboard button is a skill?

What skill does it take to play a video game, thinking?

Thinking is a skill now?

UBGL is an indirect fire weapon, it takes a little bit of use to get the trajectory right.

No such thing as skill in a video game.
  10. Justicia

that's pretty ignorant I would say. Skill usually involves knowledge, practice and dexterity. Just as a carpenter can be more skilled than another, so can a gamer be more skilled than another. From your sig, blaming every defeat on lag is a cop-out. Don't you think international fps tournaments on lan networks (no lag) are settled on skill?
  11. Armchair

Most of those videos were more of a testament to the incompetence of some people who play this game than GL's being OP. Is the knife OP because of all the giraffe camo NC shanking videos?

They clearly listed their GL adjustments in the patch notes. As far as I'm concerned, the official changes are great. GL's should most definitely have a minimum arming distance and the explosion radius should be small to encourage proper aiming and discourage indiscriminate spam.

As far as I'm concerned, the trajectory change is just as much of a bug as magrider's apparent mobility reduction.
  12. Marked4Death

Just did a little testing for some quick numbers on flat ground.
    The aiming reticle is only useful up to 25-30m, that is, aiming the lowest point of the reticle at the ground while standing has the 'nade hitting about 25-30m away.
    I tried to test the max range I could hit something while still having the target on my screen. I couldn't see my rounds exploding after 100m, but at 100m I had to aim so high that the target was almost off my screen (using max 74 deg FOV).

So ballpark figures to the launcher now, reticle useful from 10-30m, weapon useful from 10-100m
    The high arc is now better is some cases when you want to kill someone who is out of LOS, but worse now for aiming through doorways etc.

I had a gold medal (highest that could be earned with bugged medals) on the launcher prior to this patch and I can't really remember aiming the reticle above my targets head very often.
  13. 4GibMe

What a P.O.S.

What is with S.O.E. and their obsession with turning everything in this game into a worthless P.O.S.

Everything I upgrade to in this game is, or is turned into a P.O.S. by S.O.E.

W.T.F. Over.
  14. Armchair

Calm down.

A lot of things were unintentionally broken in the recent patch. Their emergency hotfix teams tried to deal with the largest problems, mainly the tank's firing blanks problem.

The patch notes were clear in the balance changes for the grenade launcher. Increased drop clearly isn't on that list. The best course of action is to merely raise awareness of this bug so that it can be resolved in short order once the rest of the dev team gets back from the weekend.
  15. RblDiver

This. I think the arc has huge potential, will help attacking platforms higher than you etc.

My only problem is that it is apparently firing out of my crotch. I was at the bio lab teleporter room, trying to shoot over a crouched friendly, aiming (I thought) well above him, only to consistently shoot him in the back.
  16. Skin

Bah, the min range on the UBGL is ******* ********. It is pretty useless now, It has been nerfed to **** with the min range. The drop off is a minor thing.

Honestly I can say "**** you SoE, eat my *** witha wooden spoon and like it".

That was the entire reason for buying a Solstice SF was for the grenade launcher attachment.
  17. Wardancer

The grenadelauncher is actually a whole lot more consistent now. If you hit, you kill. The new arc takes a bit to get used to but it is more useful for actually getting grenades onto towers and through windows. Sure you cannot shoot the grenade 400m but then again usually the targets do not even render at that distance anyway.

Stealth nerfs are bad but the grenade launcher is actually more useful now imho as it actually performs when you want to instead of randomly working/not working. Extremely useful as a light assault. Sure the range could be a tad better than now but the old arc made it impossible to hit anything that was even slightly above you since you would overshoot everything.
    • Up x 1