Great game performance (HIGH fps), but weird rendering issues

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Pie Chasm, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Pie Chasm

I get about 20-30 fps more using the test client than I do the current live client with the exact same settings, however, there are some very odd issues I get with this test client:

- Sometimes walls and objects won't render at all, particularly in bio/tech

I can often see inside rooms and there are weird gaps and spaces that don't exist otherwise (however performance in those areas is substantially better).

- The usual mine/character render issues, but exacerbated 100 fold

Same as on live, albeit much, much worse. Since there are so few people on the test server you notice it much more.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the tradeoff and hope the changes go to live, even in their current incarnations.
    • Up x 1
  2. Naceo

I only hope those improvements will translate to the actual servers. Packed or laggy servers does tend to screw with your performance.
    • Up x 1
  3. atsiv

the increase might be due to the low population.I don`t play on high on the live server but do on the test server and I get better performance.
    • Up x 2
  4. Pie Chasm

No, but thanks for the vote of confidence...

I get around 30-40 fps at an empty tech plant on the live servers, I got around 70+ fps using this client.

Empty warpgate on live, I get around 60-70, this client 115+

So, no, I'm not imagining things, however much you'd like me to be.

Amazing how even on this forum people would rather insult you than let you give the team feedback that could potentially be useful.
  5. Alarox

The only insulting post is yours. I have no idea how you interpreted his post as insulting. He's literally just daring to suggest a possible reason as to why your FPS is higher, which apparently is an insult to you? Okay dude.
  6. Zcuron

That depends;
    I suspect "Pie Chasm" thought it an extremely obvious difference which would require a distinct lack of intelligence to miss.

Should it be viewed as an insult? Probably not.

I have my FPS limited to 57 on both clients, but this merits testing - I'll do so later.
  7. skoorviel

I get more FPS too, but that's largely because there are fewer people on the test server.
  8. mlane16

Yeah I had weird rendering issues too... to the point that the in game audio was on a delay for the intro video and the first few seconds of game play.
  9. Ashnal

Pretty sure the increase in FPS is directly related to the lack of people on the server. I get similar FPS on the test server as I do on live on empty continents.
  10. Pie Chasm

Not to address it any further, but his implication was that I was completely unaware of performance at any given moment being influenced by the number of players on the screen. That is pretty insulting. That's analogous to walking up to a random guy on the side walk, grabbing him by the arm and telling him that you had to do so, because you were afraid he'd trip over his own shoe laces... which were incidentally tied, or putting a helmet on a formally dressed business man.

No. The FPS I get are, for whatever reason higher, but as a result/side-effect the insides of buildings simply aren't rendering at all.

One could hypothesize that is precisely due to the lack of rendering that the FPS is higher and the dev team might be trying that for the lower settings which I generally use. It would also explain why people with higher settings aren't getting any increases.

For those of you not experiencing any performance increase: what are your settings?

Mine are currently equal to those on live and set to medium for all (with shadows disabled), with a render distance of 2000. On live my settings are the same albeit with a couple ini modifications to turn shadows off (which aren't required here).