[Suggestion] Grappling Hook

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Exitus Acta Probat, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Exitus Acta Probat

I would love to have a grappling hook like device that had 1-3 uses to be able to climb up to building tops nd such.
    • Up x 3
  2. LairaNarrAtrana

Yea it will be awesome for some sneeky play
  3. cobaltlightning

As fun as this would be (Grappling Hooks makes Any game fun!) it would be a balancing nightmare.

In addition to the limited uses, I feel the easiest way to balance this would to have it take up the ability slot of the one using it. For the Infiltrator, I'd also have it operate the same way the Stalker cloak does, as in disable your primary as well as any cloaking ability.

To counteract, the Grapple could be crossbow-level silent, as to keep in theme with the sneaky bit the infiltrator's good at doing. And instead of 2 or 3 uses, Perhaps 5 or 6 would be a good starting point with, say, 50 meters of range. The more you upgrade it, the more grappling you can do, and at longer ranges.

This is coming from a simulated view of someone who would be going against this, mind. I am well aware that if it exists it should be used, hence why I enjoy underbarrel nade launchers.
  4. Eternaloptimist

Snipers being able to get on top of buildings, up trees and up unscalable mountainsides........aren't we unpopular enough? It would be awesome though
  5. Cirena

It could be a cool toolslot item but it would probably end up stepping too much on the LAs flanker role.

Emp bando smg infil who can flank vertically? Yeaouch!
  6. Exitus Acta Probat

Make it so the Grappling Hook takes a tool slot and you get one use, make it so your ranks in Grappling Hook determine how far you can reach with it.

And make a suit slot called Climbing Harness or Charlie Bronson Rope or something, it would work like a Grenade bando by allowing you to use the Grappling Hook more than once, 1 rank = 1 extra use, 3 ranks = 2 extra uses, 5 ranks = 3 extra uses.

So to fully utilize the Grappling Hook you would have to give up your tool slot and suit slot, no detectors or grenade bando for a max rank 4 use item with limited reach.
  7. cobaltlightning

's why I suggested the balancing stuff.

We still got the Blackhand for our sniping purposes.
  8. ArcKnight

9. Exitus Acta Probat

I believe my take on the Grappling Hook was more thought out and better presented... I could be biased though.

10. LaughingDead

Tbh, grappling replacing the recon tools would be balanced, but I would HATE THAT WITH ALL MY BEING because it would motivate people to be solo snipers instead of team players. A lot of people really underestimate the power of spotting everything in a 50 foot radius.
  11. CuteBeaver

Here is the thing you cannot expect team-play all the time from the people around you. This is coming from a person who resides in a very teamplay focused outfit. However there will be times when people play alone, and we cannot - should not - force or look down on the lone wolves. If anything the past few months have taught me is being solo requires a different outlook and a different toolkit for our class. Currently no tools exist which benefit lone wolves to the extent they probably should. In a group knowledge is power, and recon devices will always be desired. However when we are alone stealth can be just as powerful. Currently using recon devices / motion spotters are a hindrance to our ability to enter back into stealth after killing anything or doing anything that requires us to be uncloaked. (Which is every meaningful activity we can do.... lol)

Most noticeable when playing as Stalkers. You will see enemy behaviors change the moment they hear you cloaking, or see darts / spotters on the map. Everything changes and there is no magic mind erasing ability to calm them all back down. Once stealth is gone it takes a long time to rebuild that ambiguity and get back into a state where the enemy is calm again.

So - where I would normally say " this won't happen because reasons x y and z".... such comments are no longer valid. Times are changing the developers seem more open minded. They need to capture a wider audience and enable both teamplay as well as solo shenanigans. Frankly I bet you even if a tool was designed for lone wolves specifically, outfits would find some creative way to incorporate it. :D People here are crafty like that.

Exciting times are happening right now. Planetside2 is getting a second wind. We are seeing development, new changes to gameplay and meta from the players is shifting accordingly. Our class is in some kinda weird state right now. We don't function very well in player created bases, and hacking is no where near the level it needs to be. Vehicle hacking alone will not change our dysfunction. Right now we do have the raw killing power we need to handle infantry the only glaring issue being lack of stealthiness brought on by the heavy handed drawbacks attached to cloak, and anti-stealth features on every single one of our tools.

I will say this, a grappling hook isn't necessary since using movement mechanics enables us to get pretty much anywhere.... BUT that does take a CONSIDERABLE amount of time to master and even so your not going to be doing stuff like that in crowded fights where there are many eyes watching. Stalker cloak probably being the best for climbing things in fights because we can stop and take a rest while concealed. Resting for a few seconds will regenerate base momentum and allow the infiltrator to keep climbing.

So even though its highly unlikely to get added... good idea OP... no one knows what the future will bring. I think we should keep thinking of ways we could make lone wolves happier and increase stealth gameplay. (Ideally though, without treading too closely to light assaults ability) Our class needs to take a step back from obvious recon and detection and allow for more subtle approaches. Maybe this does require lower quality mobility options like a grappling hook... I will be blunt, "Stealth" in Planetside 2 is a lie. Our cloak is like a backhanded compliment and ruins as many opportunities as it creates. I'm so sick and tried of living the lie "of being stealthy" when cloaking is not stealthy at all...Cloak simply offers concealment. We play in a constant state of enemies being alert and in search mode. Gameplay from a stalkers perspective is simply trap setting, manipulating enemies, ambushing, and countering, but in most cases my targets always knew I was nearby. Sometimes I'll even flash cloak to lure them into mines, or use a spotter as bait to set a trap. Seriously how is that stealthy lol.

If you think about it, very few of our kills are actually done to completely surprised enemies. Developers need to be thinking of activities we can do "WHILE" cloaked. Maybe like seeing the world differently, and sneaking around collecting data crystals only we can see when we are cloaked. Originally I was going to suggest being able to hack while cloaked... however that doesn't seem to be a possibility now based on the recent footage of vehicle hacking on the live stream. Again I question the entire " stealth " aspect of our class when the goal for vehicle hacking is to sneak over to an enemy vehicle, and then uncloak (in order to hack it with the new tool) giving away our position to the enemy while attempting to hack a vehicle you cannot realistically harm if things go sideways.... for an extended period of time.... You should see some of the comments on that thread. The community wants to turn us into cert pinatas just for the thought of touching their precious tanks.

~Cheers

Its going to be an interesting couple months ahead for infils, keep your wits about you. By all means keep thinking of ideas to improve stealth gameplay for the class.