[Suggestion] give us the ability to pick up other factions weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by tf2hero, Sep 19, 2014.

1. tf2hero

running around as a TR with a godsaw sounds good to me:D
    but how it would work/limitations you can't get max weapons,you can only pick op other weapons that can be equipped on you current class (carbines for LA/engie LMG for heavy's you get the point). When you die you loose the weapon you picked up.
  2. Ribero

InB4 PS1 Nostalgia **********.
  3. Popper100

Actually, it would make the game kinda interesting. Imagine you're part of a battle hardened squad, going wave after wave of enemies at the gates. Your teammates have picked the, let's say TR, CQC weapons because they came in with mid range weapons and are beating the enemy back. The battle ends abruptly as so many do and you're scavenging for TR long range weapons and go on an assault to the next base with these new fangled bullet hoses. Would this not create an experience worth enjoying and trying to keep the group together, rather than redeploying to the next base to rinse and repeat?
  4. Hicksimus

Lets all just be glad that time which could have been used working on this went in to preventing teabagging because that was really hurting this game more than the lack of interesting gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  5. TheShrapnelKing

Yeah,no, totally, let's throw out the last vestiges of faction differentiation altogether.:rolleyes:
  6. DatVanuMan

• Up x 1
  7. FateJH

I think you're subscribing too much influence to this mechanic.

The main reason this is a problem is that it creates more extra clutter that has to be kept track of on the server for longer than would be necessary otherwise. A secondary reason the developers might not want to do this is that it disrupts the unified item id list system used in the class loadout menus that is part of user profile optimizations. None of this is even worth a cent without a means of preserving items longer than a single life, and that's just another repository list to create per user. The minor benefits enacted by this suggestion are outweighed by the costs incurred in its implementation and in the pursuit of its full potential, in my opinion, especially in regards to the current development cycle.
  8. SuperTrooperWaterloo

I would like to beta test it... but i dont think that this will happen. You can have 1 vehicle because the server would get messy. Imagine now the weapons from all dead players and the traffic it creates.

The only thing my fantasy allows is that infiltrator could "hack" empty vehicles like base turrents and consoles.
  9. tf2hero

10. DatVanuMan

Best reply ever.
  11. tf2hero

llits seY
  12. Yeahy

Yeah how about you certs reset every death and you can buy permanent weapons with station cash.
  13. Popper100

Well, we aren't in technical implementation here, this is all creative dialogue to find consensus on the idea. In regards to implementation, it would not be a particularly hard thing as bodies are tracked serverside and remain in for a period of time suitable to simple swaps. Weapons swapped could always start with zero ammo and half ammo pool, reducing the tracking required for individual instances, and the benefits can not be intrinsically measured given the developments priorities to esoteric things such as sight reworks that lend no monetary value but are done for sheer quality of experience. In short, it isn't impossible but we are just talking about it here.
  14. Archiadus

Could be introduced as a T4 implant that takes a ton of energy to use so that you can't use their weapons permanently / have to think about what you want to pick up when.

But first..vehicle hacking, make it happen! :D
  15. Goretzu

It was great in PS1, nothing and I mean nothing came close to running out of ammo and having to scavenge some and continue a kill streak or even better to pick up another factions heavy weapon after running out of ammo on your and continuing a kill streak.

The idea that leaving that out of PS2 was somehow "good" or an "improvement" is plain silly, they may have their reasons for leaving it out, but it is a pure downgrade from PS1.

As for it happening in PS2, it's unlikely due to the decisions they've already made, about the only way it might happen is in a similar way to the way they eventually let you get other faction vehicles in PS1 (in a non-hacking sense) - that is your faction achieves some critera and for a while you can pull enemy weapons from the terminals.

Fun, I think, but no where near as much fun as killing someone with your last bullet, picking up their weapon and then killing their friends with it.
  16. Goretzu

IIRC the problems are twofold:

1) performance-issues with whatever is dropped to be picked up, which really have to be independant of bodies. There never seemed to be particular performance issues with it in PS1, but that was a Dev reason.

2) there is no inventory back end, as such, unlike PS1 - so the work arounds are possibly a bit iffy; i.e. does every dropped weapon bag effective function as a terminal? Exploits and technical difficulties galore there I think.

As much as I'd like it lootable-wise, I think the only realistic way is some sort of in-game goal giving limited terminal access.

Having said all that, they said (the Devs) they'd never have Thumpers in PS1...... and yet apparently they are coming to PS2! :eek:
  17. Popper100

Well, my personal take on it wouldn't be an inventory system at all, rather simple swap mechanics akin to dev commands to change weapons on the fly. The UI would be simple, stand over dead body, faint box pops up with weapon name and tooltip for key to hold to swap, go about your merry way. You would change to secondary/launcher to swap those out. The ability would be tied to dead bodies, and as such would be a very short window of oppurtunity. I hope some form of weapons tracking is serverside in an anti-cheat function that could be exploited for data polling and relay to the end user at minimal server impact. In this way we have a stealthily implemented function that adds no extra client strain and minimal to negligible server strain.

That's the theory anyway, Forgelight seems to be a rats nest of coding from how the devs act.
    • Up x 1