Give the Spiker two types of fire selection.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NCstandsforNukaCola, Oct 11, 2014.

1. NCstandsforNukaCola

Spiker's charging mechanic hinders its potential to draw maximum RoF
    So I suggest this idea.

Let it be toggled by B as usual.
    First one for ordinary burst fire mode.
    With this, Spiker can be used like Repeater or Desperado.

And second one for single shot / charge mode.
    In this mode, you may shoot in one round or charged shot just like Lancer.
    • Up x 4
  2. DFDelta

Makes sense, so it won't happen. :p

I'm all for it, though.
    • Up x 1
  3. eldarfalcongravtank

even if they gave the Spiker two firemodes, the pistol would still need a damage or firerate buff. right now, the damage-per-second output of the burstfire mode is merely two-thirds of the dps output of the Repeater, a sidearm that is available to TR from the start and works great out of the box. i dont say the Spiker needs similar effectiveness as the Repeater, but a bit higher firerate OR bullet damage would be needed to make the Spiker competitive in any regard

in my view, it's not really fair that TR/NC can spam their burstfire pistols effortlessly, while VS is supposed to first charge-up and then finish off with a rather low-damaging burst?o_O who thought this would be practical against live targets? who thought this would be a great idea in the first place? i can't understand how anyone on the dev team suggested this entire pistol concept with a straight face
    • Up x 3
  4. Ztiller

The guys at SOE who ignored 12+ months of the VS telling them it was an insanely bad idea and went through with it anyways.
  5. Auzor

The 'reference' frame for the Spiker is the Desperado IMO.
    Both have a two-shot burstfire; both fire 167 dmg bullets.
    One fires at 500 rpm. The other at 366 rpm. The spiker also has more bullet drop-off.
    To compensate, the spiker has: no bullet drop (which is ofc extremely usefull on a pistol), the charge mechanic (which denies you any hope of ever achieving the low max rpm anyway), 4 more bullets/mag, and according to the wiki: slightly better accuracy, and less bloom per shot. (but more horizontal recoil).
    The TR repeater has considerably worse ADS accuracy, and longer reload time.

The spiker accuracy advantage is gone because of the reverse firing: fire on release.. instead of on click.

I've posted at least once to give the Spiker a 'fire selection' switch.
    IMO: it would go 'double burst', and 'as current'. I don't see the need to change the current system to a 'single fire with charge option'.

Even with the rpm buffed to 400 rpm, the desperado would still fire 25% faster. Isn't that enough of an advantage? -> Buff rpm to 400 rpm. I'm also pro buffing the ads accuracy to 0.4. (0.5 current; 0.6 desperado, 0.8 repeater).
    Note: the beamer has a theoretical rpm of 451 rpm, less damage degradation and better accuracy...

Another option, again 400 rpm: make it fire a 3-shot burst. This is purely to differentiate further from the desperado.
  6. MonnyMoony

I think the Spiker should have been a 6 shot burst with 50 damage per bullet and a rate of fire somewhere around the 500-600 mark.

That IMO would have fitted it's name, and would have made it unique amongst the other burst fire pistols. It would have fit nicely in the gap between the 2/3 shot pistols that already exist for NC/TR - and the full auto pistol that the TR got.

I agree it's rubbish that VS have been without a burst fire pistol for so long - and when we finally get one it's relatively ineffective. Burst fire is so much easier to use than semi-auto in CQC situations.
  7. Ztiller

That feels more like a TR pistol than a VS though.
  8. Auzor

/clears throat.. ahem

6 shot burst, sure.
    50 dmg/bullet, 500 rpm: the desperado, has 500 rpm, and fires 167 dmg bullets.
    Sooo.. no.
  9. LIKE A BOSS!

Make it 143 damage 600-700 rpm with a 3 round burst would prove faction traits with NC 167 burst VS 143 burst and TR 112 repeater.
  10. T0x1s

First they was going to make a semi firing pistol with a charge up single explosive round and VS got so mad and a revolt started on reddit and on the forum so they made a 143 dmg bust pistol with a charge up mechanic then VS was still not happy and said it was not fair because NC gets 167 damage(and VS complain that VS pistols being copied from NC, the irony...:rolleyes:)
    and then they revamped it again with 167 damage and you got this ****.
    The 143 damage pistol was awesome the short time it was on pts but NOPE.
    Don´t come with ******** without facts.

Disclaimer: I do agree Spiker sucks and they should buff it which comes next month according to Higby himself but don´t say that they didn´t listen on you because that is ********.
  11. Ztiller

Its amazing how you complain about my facts, after writing a whole wall of text of pure misinformation yourself.

First they wantned to make a semi with chargeup. Nothing about any explosive rounds. VS said it was a really stupid idea.

Then they wanted to make a chargeup with explosive charge, and once again it was a really ******* stupid idea because there is literally no possible scenario where that would be useful on a sidearm.

Then they proceeded to make a 143 burst fire sidearm, the Beamer Storm, and the VS would have loved it. If NOT for the fact that this was the so-called "Empire Specific" sidearm, and there is nothing empire specific over getting a sidearm that both the other factions already have. Kindof like how the TR loves how Empire Specific their Marauder is, don't you? So we were getting screwed over in the Empire Specific department.

So they made it a 2x Burst-fire with a 4-shot chargeup. The problem was that they actively changed the headshot modifier, so that even if you charged up and landed all 4 charged shot on an enemy in the head, it still didn't kill him, so the chargeup was completely ******* pointless.

Then they proceeded to make this Spiker, which we all said was going to be complete junk even on the PTS and cited the Phaseshifts fire-delay, something SOE completely ignored.

I know about the development of the Spiker from the very first day it was on the PTS and tested every single implimentation. I knew it was becoming the burst-fire chargeup before anybody else did due to personal messages with Higby.

So don't come here and complain about my facts, when you can't even get the very first sentence of your own post right. The VS wanted an empire specific sidearm, but we never ever wanted the chargeup function.
  12. DatVanuMan

I'd only use the single shot mode. I want an actual Spiker, not a Desperado copy.
  13. DatVanuMan

1. THAT IS HORRIBLE.
    2. Fitted its name? PLEASE, the REAL Spiker from PS1 fitted its name. The devs just changed it into a copy cat burst that all burst whiners suddenly regret whining for.
    3. It is rubbish. You know why? We. Are. ALIENS. We don't use burst weaponry.
  14. MonnyMoony

In that case - change the Repeater to those specs and give the VS a reskinned repeater.
  15. Cest7

Higby make it so.

This is the Spiker buff vanu demands. I may buy it if this is the case.