Give Infiltrators More XP Incentive For Sniping?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SiosDashcR, Jun 13, 2014.

1. SiosDashcR

So, before anyone assumes such.. I am no sniper. Contrary to that, I'm a **** sniper. Here's my Player Profile: https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428010618019912177/classes

Anyways, that aside.

My proposal to give Infiltrators more XP... Make it so that sniping across a certain range, gives additional XP?
    ie. If I'm sniping from over 100XP away, every 1m I am away from the target, I get 1xp extra. So sniping from 300m away would yield... 300xp.

This would ONLY apply to the Infiltrator class or long-range rifles (Battle Rifles, Scout Rifles, Bolt Actions), so that aircraft/tanks won't be able to yield in this XP.

Idk, just a suggestion.

Discuss.
    • Up x 3
  2. ExarRazor

you want to give players an incentive to be a detriment to their faction by sitting hundreds of meters away from any real fighting?

besides there's already a marksmen ribbon that provides an additional 250 exp every 10 kills for killing an enemy beyond 70 meters
    • Up x 7
  3. SiosDashcR

Depends how the Infiltrator plays. That same Infiltrator can be IN that same fight, taking out AV/AI Turret Engineers, Heavy Assaults, MAXes or other Infiltrators.
    • Up x 4
  4. Paragon Exile

God no. Bush wookiees need to be exterminated, not bred in captivity.
    • Up x 7
  5. Ripshaft

I think it's only a matter of time before there's a "marksman" ribbon or something along those lines for ranged kills with infantry weapons. I'm generally not a fan of the ribbon incentives, but they definately work lol, I'm getting ribbons out the wazoo with the new ones they added, and I cant say I mind haha
  6. SpcFarlen

Person spawns back in within 15 seconds. Now killing said person than taking that position away, is far more valuable. Sniping someone has a very short term impact on the game since deaths really have no weight to them other than an annoyance. Infils snipes an engy out of his AV turret, well he can get revived by a nearby medic. Hops back on his turret, or moves it. Threat is still there. That kill meant nothing other than some xp for that sole infil. Same for any class killed.

I am not saying that there is no value in it. Stopping that threat for a brief moment can help friendlies move up. But rewarding players for taking long range head shots, like xp based on range, only encourages them to sit farther out from the action and only go for kill that are easiest for that sniper. It encourages the wrong kind of behavior, which incentivising any type of sniping does.
    • Up x 4
  7. ExarRazor

I'm aware of that.

no sniper's ever going to take out a max that hasn't been severely damaged first, and anti-turret duty is the only legitimate use for a long range sniper.

now SMG/stalker infils, yea, they provide a valuable service, taking out all those pesky turrets and HA's without being complete pu$$ies
    • Up x 1
  8. ExarRazor

there's already a marksman ribbon
  9. Iridar51

Don't think there should be any more incentive. Players are already rewarded enough with headshot bonus, and now the marksman ribbon.
  10. SiosDashcR

Unless you deal with an Engineer who sat his AV Turret up on some mountain with no spawn. I've seen this happen time and time again.

But fair point regarding gameplay.
  11. Canno

I do, or used to, snipe a LOT. There's no need for more reward on it though.

People that think sniping provides no real value don't understand what one or two snipers can do. They can shut down entire platforms or areas from being used. Sure you can be revived or respawn pretty quick but after getting popped a couple times you don't go back. Killing a max may not always be an option but they can be dislodged from their position and made to retreat. That retreat may be enough time for your faction to gain a foot hold on an area.

What you do 'in the real fight' is often made possible by what we do.
    • Up x 1
  12. Jawarisin

I want some recognition for my SAS-R/Ghost CQC headshots too :/. What about an exp boost for killing units in 1 bullet? Only snipers can do that or shotguns with slugs, but i'm sure there's a solution.
  13. Jawarisin

That's probably one of the difference between you sniping and an experienced sniper sniping. If that engie goes back on his turret, you can be sure he'll be right back down on the ground. As well as ANY engie on a turret. It's sitting ducks, you don't even need to aim. Enemy snipers/medics hanging in the back, get killed by snipers, enemy engies thinking they are safely repairing their tank get killed by snipers.

An experienced sniper will do WAY more than you can do yourself. Shooting fast and true will yield a lot of kills really fast. allowing units to push thru. And an infiltrator running around with a CQC BASR will be a super soldier, it can kill in 1 bullet at any distance, recon a whole area and slip thru enemies fingers.

I could say the same about other classes being a farm. You run up in the enemy's face and just get mowed down without doing anything, taking any ground or being anything else than a cert farm. The sniper's the one who makes them duck their heads so you can get anywhere close enough.

I've never heard anybody say they were "farming" that sniper, but hell, people farm engies medics and the such all the time because they go head long into the combat without thinking or knowing where enemies are just to get mowed down where the said enemies are making their stand.

-=-=-=-=-=-
    Little video of Elusive here, you might want to take a look
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ester-infiltrator-montage.189819/#post-274915
  14. ironeddie

I use my infiltrator for cqc. But since I pick my targets and spend a lot of time setting myself up my spm is low. I'd welcome an xp boost.
  15. MarkAntony

So wrong. With any good sniper if the guy turns up 15-20 seconds later? Boom he is dead again. Engy gets reveived and places another turret. Boom he is dead again. Probably the medic too.

Snipers are area denial weapons. They can deny the enemy from using positions or at the very least from using them effectively. The problem (apart from people who don't understand snipers in any way) is that the results of a good sniper aren't noticed by his team. Nobody notices the AV Turret that ISN'T there. Or that enemy sniper who CAN'T shoot them anymore. But they do notice friendly medics and engies doing their things.
    As snipers our failures are known. Our successes are not.
    • Up x 2
  16. FateJH

If you want more XP as an Infiltrator and to be a real team comtributor, drop recon darts like they're going to go out of style soon. Cover the doors, and stairs, the Terminals, the capture point, and everything. You allies will love you for showing them the exact location of the enemy; and, each one they kill gives you a detect bonus that is equivalent per tick to the Engineer Ammo Pack or Repair Tool wokring on a MAX.
    • Up x 1
  17. Ronin Oni

Those support snipers come out when needed and tend to do fine XP wise really....

and they usually aren't sniping at render distance either.
  18. NinjaTurtle

If the Infiltrator is Elusive then sure. He does more damage with a BASR than most players do with a heavy.

Most snipers don't do enough imo and should be encouraged to be a little more aggressive
  19. Spectre 694

There is also a ribbon for using recon tools (recon darts, motion spotter, scout radar) and a ribbon for spot assists; both of which any infiltrator should be doing anyway. Spotting/recon is their niche. If you support your team - fight where they fight, you also rack up those savior bonuses and get savior ribbons.

Marksman ribbons are given with any infantry weapon it seems though (proximity mines included)
  20. Axehilt

Every playstyle should provide XP based on how much it's worth.

Sniping isn't worth that much. (And can't be worth that much because long-ranged playstyles which are powerful result in degenerative gameplay in a game about massive war. That's why I'm also in favor of range reductions for longer ranged things like tanks, despite tanking a lot.)

But sniping is worth more XP now, due to Marksman ribbons.