General Tips : Outsmarting vs Overpowering your opponents.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CAMIKAZE78, May 5, 2014.

1. CAMIKAZE78

How do you outsmart your opponents?

How do you gain a more powerful edge in battle?

What additional outsmarting or overpowering methods do you use to reign supreme?
  2. DrPapaPenguin

I go for the enemies that are chewing up my team and therefore do not pay attention to me. That's pretty much it, rest is simple knowledge of terrain coupled with twitchier trigger finger.
  3. Beeman

I'm capable of outsmarting most people one-on-one if we're on the ground. Sometimes in vehicles as well. But there's always someone else there that I never expect to be there that kills me. Thus, I tend to get a lot more assists than kills.

When it comes to AA(which I'm nearly obsessed with), I've never been outsmarted by an aircraft pilot. Especially in a burster MAX. Once, though, I had a really epic stalemate with someone and they simply overpowered me with that crazy reaver shotgun. That was a disappointing end to a really fun duel. Before that, neither of us could kill each other, but I surely kept him away from our base. It was also in the middle of the night so there weren't many people playing.

I don't know, both are viable in Planetside 2, but at peak times, overpowering the enemy is the only solution to a battle. This is due to poor design. Well, not poor design just simplistic game design. Once they revamp the resources and add continental lattice...and hopefully rework the way redeploying and respawning works(limiting it to connected lattice hubs or something like that), there should be at least a bit more logistical and strategic gameplay involved thus allowing our entire faction to outsmart the enemy in one way or another.

But until then, overpowering is king. Especially in the macro-scale.
  4. Fellhermit

Copy/pasting my comment from your reddit post, for a friendly bump:

So what happens if a heavy or MAX player is smart? People don't automatically become dumb, like some predictable MMORPG boss or whatever, when they equip a heavy or MAX...I don't think anyway. I hope not for my sake.

I agree that patience and picking your battles/engaging on your terms/not getting greedy is important, but it's not like HA/MAX users can't employ the same tactics. MAX has one of the best "I'm getting the **** outta here" tools of any infantry unit, really. The longevity of someone making good use of MAX charge and autorepair or a retreat spot w/engi access is gonna beat out the other classes easily, except maybe long distance snipers.

I think a big factor in success though is picking the best class or vehicle for the situation. Some places, jump jets or cloak aren't going to do much for you. It so happens, at least IMO, that most significant infantry combat happens in areas where HA or MAX will be best(or medic/engi if you want to support of course). Which is why you see a lot of very impressive/experienced infantry players who play almost exclusively HA.

That said, I do find infiltrator and LA more fun for soloing/flanking and just messing around with.
  5. CAMIKAZE78

In my eyes, like stated in the video itself overpowering is the end result of all processes. Outsmarting is merely step to or an auxiliary benefit to overpowering your hostile. And since the Zerg in Planetside 2 is often king, I do agree with your statement.