Garbage Base/map Design

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kesuga7, Oct 23, 2015.

1. kesuga7

Here's a list of terribly designed bases and a absolute nightmare for Attackers in a even pop fight with competent defenders

Feel free to add your **** base frustrations below (on going thread that may add ideas for improvement)

INDAR ******* EXCAVATION
    • Almost all the sunderer positions near points B and C are completely exposed and most sunderer positions around the base can be destroyed by any decent platoon that has armor of its own
    • Getting to point A with terrible sunderer positions makes it worse when the area is already so open
    Ceres Hydroponics
    • If the defending team controls the crown, Just give up because of line of sight to every possible sundy position
    • A cloaking sundy is the only hope and that's if another one doesn't deploy before you or a lucky shot exposes your sunderer
    Matheson's Triumph
    • Point A is near impossible to capture if the defenders shoot the clearly exposed sunderer positions near point A tower - 16 Minutes to capture if you don't have point A
    • If defenders control Eisa then you minus well give up because main battle tanks will wipe your puny lightings defending your sunderer positions near points B and C
    Watersons redemption
    • If defenders hold Eisa Techplant a single squad of Tankers can destroy any sundy positions with relative ease (Although fun to fight inside)
    Howling pass Checkpoint

• 16 minute Timer unless you hold point A in a even pop. fight - I have never seen this base ever captured in a Even pop. fight with competent attackers and defenders
    Abandoned NS offices

• ZERO COVER for sunderers in any possible deploy position
    Subterranean Nanite analysis AKA PIT OF DESPAIR
    • GARBAGE GARBAGE ****
    • Cert farm is only positive
    The Crown
    • No explanation Necessary
    Auraxsis Fire arms Corp.
    • The brigde of death and of sundy sadness
    • If you attempt to attack this base after capturing a nearby base be prepared for the brigde of sundy sadness
    • Up x 3
  2. Revel

Every single base where garbage tier vehicle farmers can mindlessly shell into spawn rooms and points from a million miles away.

Hey, thats 80% of bases in this game! No wonder I'm playing less and less.
    • Up x 1
  3. Thardus

You forgot Scarred Mesa Skydock, The Bastion, and Saerro Listening Post.
    In fact, The Crown isn't even that hard to capture, it can just take a while. Are you posting from the past somehow?

Personally I'm okay with the concept of some bases being a really tough nut to crack, a place where a faction can say, "You've pushed us this far, but no further."
  4. zaspacer

I agree with most your list, but not about The Crown. The Crown is still my favorite spot in the game. Attacking or Defending. Epic approaches and synergy with surrounding bases.
  5. OldMaster80

Working as intended. Some bases are not military structures (like NS Abandoned Office, the name says itself!) thus some are more defensible than others. Some bases require coordination, and good layout knowledge. Valkyries and good beacon placing should let attackers be able to hit almost everywhere.

The only base I would change imho is Nanite Subterranean Analysis: too many tight corridors and choke points for a base that is completely underground... it's not fun at all. I've seen factions unable to capture even with more than 60% of population.
    • Up x 1
  6. Gremmel

This is why some companies make games that are fun and some make games that look cool in a trailer. They both sell, those who actually play have to pay the consequences
  7. Pikachu

Bases too small. Bases too close.
    • Up x 1
  8. DeadlyPeanutt

you forgot all the horrible hossin bases, the hossin bases are far and away the worst in the game
    many of the bases you listed i enjoy defending...

Matheson's Triumph
    Watersons redemption

two of the ones i enjoy being a defender in
  9. Littleman

This. It's so bad that the bases right outside the warpgates are harder to assault from the warpgates than pushing TOWARDS the warpgates.

Another check on PS2's list of "FPS design sins." This team never has and likely never will know what it is doing.
  10. lothbrook

Bases where the spawn room overlook the cap points or surrounding areas for easy vehicle kills are just as terrible and just as prevalent.
  11. Pikachu

I rarely play there but isn't it mostly a matter of overpopulation? Like most bases it's built for <= 24vs24.
  12. asmodraxus

Bases are way too close to each other, you just need to look at planetside 1 to realise that.

Then there's the lack of forests to provide cover for infantry against Airchavs and tanks.

The devs should really have a look at planetside 1 maps and take the hint. That game lasted 8 years or more despite the graphics, BFR's, caves and gal gunships (to some extent).
    • Up x 1
  13. Crayv

Most bases in this game are indefensible against any kind of coordinated assault.

The Sundy shacks are usually closer to the point than the spawn room and the spawn room also usually has go through a choke point to get to said point and/or risk getting instantly killed by the half a dozen tanks/aircraft waiting outside.

Here is what I mean...
    [IMG]

The only time I ever see a "defense" work is when the defenders basically leave the base and basically treat it like an enemy controlled base with an invulnerable and poorly positioned sundy in it. If you are trying to defend it from the actual spawn room, you are Higby'd (which why I guess they are shaped that way).

When your attack strategy and defense strategy are the same, it is probably a sign that something is wrong.
    • Up x 3
  14. Littleman

I'm only liking this post for the art.
  15. Crayv

Thanks =)

Though once you have seen it, you can't really unsee it and you will start to see it in other bases as well.
  16. TRNCVS

Edit: Reading over the thread again I realized my comment didn't contribute to most of the OP complaints. Removing my post.
  17. KingOfLuck

Sounds like that's your fault. Why are you defending bases where there's such a high enemy pop that their vehicles are steamrolling your spawn room? At that point it's time to move away from the zerg and just let the zerg go full ****ter until you have pop to counter
  18. Sulsa

I understand the points of the post, but I gotta admit I have had great fights on both offense and defense at all of these places but I have never stayed for assault/defense of Sub-Nanites. Ugh that place...
  19. 000AmidimA000

Subterranean Nanite Analysis is the worst base... period. Seeing as how a lot of the people who worked at SOE have been let go, I hope the designer of this base was let go as well. I hope he currently resides in a cardboard box (his own personal spawn point) under a bridge (symbolic representation of Subeterranean Nanite Analysis) and I hope every day he's assaulted by a never ending swarm of rats that gnaw off bits of his toes. If he still works at DBG, then he should be let go and resigned to his proper place under said bridge, and never allowed near another computer so his design-decision-poxes can never plague man kind again.
  20. Metalsheep

I feel like I am the only player than genuinely loves Subterranean Nanite Analysis. Its a base that can actually be defended, and has close quarters, frantic infantry fights akin to much of PS1s indoor base fighting. Cramped, explosive and pretty brutal. No Aircraft or Vehicles influence the capture of the base.

In a 50/50 fight, Defenders should have the advantage. What is the point of defenses if equal attackers can easily get past them? If anything, every major base in the game needs to be that defensible. With the smaller outposts being less protected. This would lead to more tactical ways to assault a base rather than just zerging it.

It was the same problem with Beta Techplants. The two doors at the back were the only ground entrance and the Vehicle Bay Shield generator was also inside the main building, as well as the SCU generator AND the capture point. It was a meat grinder for a zerg to attack, unable to push through the doors with unorganized rushes. BUT a tactical Gal Drop on the top or center, or a GSD/Blockade Armor Sunderer could break the back of the defenders while they were mostly focused on the doors.

Same with the old crown. It was near impossible to get to the only point up at the tower by rushing up the front pass, but a low altitude Galaxy insertion onto the SCU building could cripple the base. All it took was a few organized guys to do it or a few players who could command a small portion of the Zerg to change tactics.

It leads to more tactical, thoughtful play for Commanders and other players rather than just rushing.

But no. Thinking is too hard. We must be able to mindlessly zerg every base in the game!