[BUG] Gameplay seriously disrupted

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by lesliehekenas, Nov 18, 2023.

1. lesliehekenas

Gentlemen, there is a serious disruption of gameplay on Cobalt. Namely, due to the improperly timed maintenance and update procedures. Cobalt is an EU server, it's lowest population hours fall in the late EU night - very early EU morning times, that would be late afternoon or early evening by US time zones.

Now it's understood the workday ends at 3PM regardless the time zone, but that isn't how it works in the world of IT, and that i know very well since i myself work in IT.

Not to mention the "sawing off the branch you're sitting on" phenomena. Gentlemen, you've initiated the 2x XP weekend, you are pushing for higher pop and hope of monetization, for the goodness' sake, do the updates when no one is on the server.

It's 2X day, weekend, gaming hours, and the server had been down for hours now. That doesn't do good to popularity or sales.

You have a potential gold mine in your hands, the best MMOFPS concept that ever existed. True, the game engine is deeply flawed in areas like hit detection, due to poor development and management policies i assume, also the weak choices on server mergers worsened the gameplay quality. But the in-game content is truly great, the community is faithful within reason, and the diversity of gameplay styles one can embrace is just awesome.

So please, don't screw it up any further, make the wise choice and hire competent management, competent developers, fix those critical, and yet long ongoing issues. Good professionals are not always expensive, if they are passioned, - in case human resources' cost is the issue. And not that hard to find either. Just need to actively look for.

For there are thousends and thousends of people out there who actually do care.

Thank you.
    • Up x 2
  2. Usernamefailed

This type of complaint has been on since "Sony" days... Back in 2012. And the devs did not care then... And they still don't.

So I reckon that you should have taken the time to look for another free to play FPS game.
    • Up x 2
  3. lesliehekenas

I did, did that a lot. But there is nothing that even comes close, most are Counterstrike and it's variations crap, where you wait until a 4x4 or 12x12 squad forms up, that technically isn't MMOFPS. Then there are Battlefield and variations crap that again is squad based, aim for historical accuracy ( which i don't like nor do care in the slightest about). Good ones like Tribes are dead, The movement is garbage in Mechwarrior, or few players complemented with AI zerg, like in Destiny 2, with no real evolution and rewarding system. Overwatch is the ultimate trash. Gameplay in Evolve sucks. A few are so forgettable, i couldn't remember the names. The player perspective is crap in The Old Republic, and Battlefront was too much about cashggrab for casual play; might be dead by now as well, don't know. Didn't quite find a suitable replacement, always come back here.
    I had been here since the Sony days, with all the ups and downs, there was perspective at some point. But then decided to merge the servers, which worsened the lag, caused also communication issues ( due to the cultural diversity it caused, filling the wrong servers with people not speaking the common tongue of that area). Optimizations on the game engine ceased, in favour to focusing on "monetization" (that's fine, a need to keep the company up), "content"( some reservation here, overloading the still incomplete game engine with so much ingame content worsened drastically graphical performance) and "balancing" ( finally, laid off all competent developers, the nerfing up and down of weaponry, altering existing static content and policing the chat).
  4. lesliehekenas

Btw, i had a minor tech request the other day, minor firewall difficulty in the office. Simple question, what IPs need to be whitelisted to be able to play ( there are 8 or so actually, i didn't know that then ). There is no tech person on their support line, unwilling to escalate the request, if there actually was anyone to escalate to, didn't find up to date information on no forums, so had to do a wee wireshark capture myself ( which i tried to avoid initially, it's a hack approach).
    I really don't understand, how on the good earth could they actually keep up at all, and be able to run for so long. Must be one of them miracles...