Game Pauses then black screen then recovers

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Sawfly, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Sawfly

When in game the game will frequently pause for about 1 second then go to a plain black screen for about 1 or 2 seconds and then will recover back to the game screen and continue on playing. Sometimes this happens several times per minute and occasionally it doesn't happen for a few minutes at all.

Location on the map seem irrelevant as I have this happen at the Warp Gate and at the Crossroads.

If I'm running whilst the screen is paused or black I seem to keep running. IE I continue to move around even though I can't see myself moving as the screen is either frozen or black. I can still be killed whilst in the frozen or black screen so the game seems to continue running as if nothing were wrong.

System Specs
    Intel i5-3470
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 8
    Radeon HD 4870

I play on the Briggs server in Australia.

Catalyst 12.6 driver from AMD. There doesn't appear to be any newer driver than this for my card that can be used for Windows 8. The driver limits DirectX to version 10.0 or 10.1 even though the OS can support DirectX 11.

I have 2 monitors but only play the game on one of them. When the main screen goes black the second screen also goes black. Since I'm not running anything on the second screen I can't tell if it is also freezing.The second screen always seems to recover first.

Ideas? Suggestions?
  2. byc02

I have the same problem, apparently its because fps drop to 0 frames that causes the black screen, but im not sure.
    My system specs
    intel i5 3570k
    16gb ram
    windows 8
    gtx 670
  3. llNomadll

Same problem. Very frequent flickering black screen for 1~2 seconds before returning to normal.
    Frequency is around every 20~30s, frequency seems to increase when you turn around very fast, fly high up in the sky, etc. Rendering issues maybe?

After a few flickering issues, the game just goes into a permanent black screen. Gotta Ctrl+Alt+Delete and end process manually.

This started today, never had a problem before.

Specs:
    Intel i7 2600K
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro (SP1)
    GTX 560 Ti (NVIDIA Driver: 310.70)
  4. OlPaine

Same Problem, other Hardware,

I use a older C2D System with a Ati 4850. After the Blackscreen im getting weird graphical glitches and after 3 to 4 seconds later another BS.
  5. =dS=

might be the 306.97 driver but I could be wrong.
    I was dealing with a flickering problem so I thought I would roll back my driver from 310.70 to 306.97, and bingo random black screens + flickering :( more problems grrrr

optimization is needed asap

GTX 580
  6. llNomadll

Any updates?
  7. THUGGERNAUT

devs are probably on vacation, these issues won't be looked at until after the new year at the earliest. all we can do is sit tight.
  8. llNomadll

Wow, so alot of us are getting this issue. Damn, cant believe I'm missing the Double XP due to this...
  9. Cl1mh4224rd

This is your video drivers crashing and recovering. I've never personally experienced it with PlanetSide 2, but I have had it happen with other games and even when just browsing the web.

If it happens when you're not using a full screen application (like a game), a balloon pops up from the system tray informing you of what happened. You should also see an error in your Event Viewer, possibly under System (can't quite remember).
  10. llNomadll

Anyone else having this issue? Write a ticket in please.
  11. HeyRocketMan

apparently i am also suffering from this unknown issue :( i cant even play the screen goes black ingame and it stay there like 7-8 sec even jamming up . please fix this soe~
  12. llNomadll

13. The King

It sounds like the display drivers or whatever for your video card crashed.
    It does that to weak systems a lot.

Not saying it only does it to weak systems, but generally, it does.
  14. Superdaws

Disable multiple GPU acceleration in the Nvidia Control Panel 3D settings... fixed it for me