Game crashed while recording video. Need help repairing file!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Visk, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Visk

As the title states, the in-game recorder crashed while it was recording. All I have now is a 25GB file that I can't play anywhere. Windows Media Player, for some reason, only reads 00:01:12 of footage, which is a fraction of what I had recorded. IIRC, Planetside 2 uses the MJPEG codec. I don't have a lot of experience in this department. ..

Has anyone here successfully managed to repair broken footage? Please let me know.
  2. Lord Gentlecrab

Errr try importing it into like sony vegas pro or something. Other than that I got notin.
  3. AapNootMis

4. unjulation

have you tried playing it in VLC player? - ive found it often can play video files that wmp cant - it also has a handy little feature that can try and fix an .avi if its broken

but tbh its most likely f****d, a pc crash while recording or saving vids will often render them useless files
  5. Betaplayer

You might want to try VirtualDub and split the file into smaller bits. The size may be what is causing the problem.

If the file itself is broken, some of VirtualDubs tools may help to diagnose and fix that problem (if the frames are indeed there in the file you may be able to recover them in some fashion.)
    • Up x 1
  6. unjulation

^^^ - i'd forgotten about VirtualDub its been a while since i used it and i didnt think there would be a point mentioning any pro/am progs unless the op wanted to spend the time+money on them

but defo have a look at VirtualDub