Game constantly uses CPU, not GPU

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Shifting, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Shifting

I have a pair of Radeon 7970 cards in a CrossFire setup each with 3 GB of memory. Yet when I hit Alt+F the game is consistently using the CPU and not my GPU. What can I do to fix it?
  2. ArcaneGuardian

Get a new CPU. Overclock your current CPU.

Basically, your CPU is too slow, and it's not passing enough information to your GPUs. There's really not much you can do except wait. They're working on optimizing code to make it run faster, but that's a process.

What are your current specs?
    • Up x 1
  3. Shifting

Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33 GHz
    24 GB RAM
    Radeon 7970 Crossfire
    Windows 7

Not sure what else to put in there.
  4. Paulus

Thats a reasonable setup, I'd sugest maybe an ivybridge i5 or i7 to give things a bit of a refresh? One question though, is this an issue for you? i presume your FPS is decent enough? unless you're getting below 30FPS in big battles, i would say you're worrying yourself unduely.
  5. Vortigon

Emm... it's a little more than a 'reasonable' setup - it's essentially the top tier i7 CPU available in the world, about 3rd in the performance charts of any processor - if his can't handle the game the rest of us have NO CHANCE!
    • Up x 1
  6. Freyar

I did a performance test using 3DMark and found my CPU is on par with a Core i5 (Pre-Sandy), yet performance impacts are still out of whack. It feels like the game really is only favoring one line of CPUs in this case and that doesn't really work when you're in a Free-to-Play market.
  7. Paulus

No its not. It predates yours.

Please see the following link for a comparison versus other i7 processors
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i7 975 @ 3.33GHz
  8. nitram1000

Have you tried forcing Ultra graphics in the .ini file to switch the load to your 7970's? I have done this with great success.
  9. Cl1mh4224rd

Actually, that doesn't tell you what the game is using; it just tells you what is currently limiting the game's performance.
  10. fish998

You really need to overclock. I have a 1st gen I5 but overclocking it from 3.1 to 3.8 gave me an extra 10 fps average and took me to the point where I see GPU most of the time now (660 2gb)

You have so much untapped potential in that CPU. It should easily hit 4GHz with a little voltage boost, and that'll save you the cost of upgrading.
  11. Vamperial

It may predate a lot of processors as it is the 1st Gen of the i7 series in '09 but its also the extreme edition and I think that's what he is referring to. @OP It looks like your setup was built for over clocking and maybe some other non-game related things. You may see some improvement if you 'OC to 4.0GH but my question is; what are your frame rates in big battles? Its saying its using your CPU because of all the calculations its making. I don't think it will ever say GPU unless your by yourself.
  12. Shifting

40 fps in battles.

Thanks for all the replies. I learned a lot.
  13. Dovahkiin

Are you serious?

PS2 is CPU intensive.
    Your GPU's are more powerful than the game will ever need.
    You can't "fix" it.

You should try enabling ultra settings and 4x oversampling. The game will look so much better and it'll still be smooth for you.
  14. kidwithstick

PS2 uses DX9. Does not support multi core GPU's like the later versions of DirectX do.
  15. Mansen

Stop spreading misinformation.
    • Up x 1
  16. FierceSmurf

yea im having fps issues as well (can hardly run it on low settings) and it is constantly using my cpu
    im running a
    i7 2700k
    gtx 570
    12 gb ram
    i know plenty of people with systems not as good as mine and yet they get way better fps. I understand the game needs optimization but if a person with a stock 2500k and a gtx 560 ti can run this game on high settings with no problem than i should be able to as well lol
  17. Sirez

Give your GPU more to do, to put it simply. As nitram stated, bump your graphics to "ultra" settings (4) in the UserOptions.ini file. After doing so, I saw a more even spread of my GPU and my CPU being utilized.
  18. TeknoBug

Read through the thread about "making PS2 use ultra settings", I did it and it makes the game use GPU while playing.
  19. Alexlightning7

This threads responses are fail.

It is using both, not just CPU.
    Making it say GPU will NOT improve FPS. It will make the game look much better, but it will only switch the botttleneck to the GPU instead of the CPU.

You are basicly stuck with your fps unless you overclock or the devs optimise more.
    When it is GPU bottlenecked, you can gain fps by turning down the settings.

That said, 40 fps in big battles actually gives you a major edge over 90% of the games player population. keep that in mind.
    • Up x 2
  20. TheEvilBlight

40 FPS using settings that don't make Planetside look like Hexen from the '90s is advantageous...