Game claims I'm CPU-starved, but CPU is running at 40%

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by jiggu, Aug 10, 2014.

1. jiggu

So simply put the ingame FPS counter tells you what's bottlenecking your system. And for the most part it's saying [CPU]. However the task manager and other programs say it's running at 40% of maximum capacity. The game simply won't deliver 30+ fps in a fight unless I'm ghostcapping.
    It's an AMD FX-8350 by the way

Is this normal?
  2. khai

depends is that 40% for the entire cpu or for the individual active cores?
  3. nightbird

You're not using a dedicated GPU? It's a miracle you can run the game at all :)
  4. jiggu

Why wouldn't I? my GPU is a Radeon 7970, I didn't feel like including my full specs in the OP since the game is complaining about my CPU.
  5. jiggu

Didn't bother checking, but that would make a bit more sense. Though how are you even supposed to circumvent that if the game cannot handle more than lets say two cores?
  6. Takara

Can you change the power settings on your CPU? I have an Nvidia driver and the default setting is for opitmal power settings. However it gives me the ability to select performance with funnels more power to my CPU and unlock more power from it. Not sure if you get those settings on your own.
  7. jiggu

Core voltage is set to dynamic for me and I have no power saving settings that I know of. If I was really CPU-starved then my entire system should be lagging, right? I can multitask just fine outside of the game, it's just the game itself that's claming to be bottlenecked by the CPU. I was wondering if windows happen to have some sort of limit on how much a single process can take.
  8. khai

To a certain extent you cannot, though there are ways to dedicate cores to individual programs, or vice versa I guess, so that your OS for instance is not insisting on using the same core as the game.

Depending on the coding this might not work, because some programmers insist on hard coding resource allocation to simplify the program.

Also turning up the priority giving the game first shot at resources and can cause some better made programs to switch to less active cores. Finally there is a program to undock cores that has been mentioned on these forums before but I cannot seem to find it today. This program seems to be especially helpful on AMDs.

There are a couple of decent videos for planetside 2 tuning but like the undocking program I cannot seem to find anything today.

The annoying thing is that SoEs fix to bring Intel CPUs in line with AMD performance shortly after launch, killed performance for many with newer AMDs

*edit* The reason I could not find the program is that the term is parking not docking so this is what I use worked decently and I am back to GPU limited most of the time.

https://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php
    • Up x 1
  9. acksbox

Planetside 2 is still extremely CPU bound in larger battles, despite numerous improvements in this regard. The game is not particularly well threaded, and is usually only going to significantly load three or so logical CPUs.

Those with faster individual CPU cores are much better off than those with many slower CPU cores, but the kind of CPU you'd need to always achieve high frame rates in all scenarios doesn't exist.

You don't. You either disable as many CPU limited features you can, and live with mediocre performance, or you leave them on and live with poor performance.

AMD's Vishera CPU cores are individually weak, and without turning down shadow quality and number of voices, you will experience major CPU performance limitations once the number of players in the vicinity gets above a certain level.

Even a highly clocked Intel Haswell based part (the strongest x86 cores in existence) can become CPU bound in this game fairly easily, though it takes a fair bit more to bog one down than it does an AMD FX.

No, because general use is not very demanding, and multitasking by it's very nature can spread over many CPU cores, which you have.

Again, the game is not well threaded. It wants a handful of very powerful cores, not a number of weaker ones.

The limiting factor is not Windows; it's the game, and your CPU.
  10. Botji

Aside from what Khai said ^ wich may or may not help is that if the game is only using 2 cores there is no other way to get better performance than getting a faster CPU or OCing your current one so the 2 cores that are used gets a small boost...

Its the curse of "Its apparently hard to make true multi core games". Afaik its kinda like this, devs tend to program stuff in parts so for example the Sound might be one part, GFX and so on so when they make a game use multiple cores they offload different parts of the game to different CPU cores meaning you could perhaps get one core working with "simple" stuff like the sound and perhaps some other minor bits while another core gets to work with the heavy duty main part of the program.

In the end that might be one core working pretty hard with 1-2 other cores not doing a whole lot = your average CPU load % ends up pretty low.

Im no programer but thats my understanding of it...
    • Up x 1
  11. anitbot

AMD 965, all 4 cores evenly spikes. If only switches between the cores, i could not play with 2 Ghz.
    At least 6 cores should work. 30 fps seems to be little.
  12. LibertyRevolution

This is what planetside2 CPU usage looks like on my rig (cores unparked):
    [IMG]
    [IMG]