Galaxy OP in small engagements

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ArcticRunner, Feb 26, 2016.

1. ArcticRunner

For small groups, say 6v6, an enemy Galaxy can be catastrophic because of it's decent damage and awesome durability. It only needs 2 people to crew well. It simply does too much damage for the punishment it can take.
    • Up x 2
  2. Hammerlock

two words : Burster Max
  3. DeadlyOmen

Cry for a meta-game and when some produces it, cry about the meta-game.

Awesome.
    • Up x 2
  4. Zvezdan

Air in general is one of those things that is great in small fights and starts to lose its prevalence (but is still pretty nice) in large ones.

A battle gal or ESF is going to screw up a 6v6 that much more because there'll be less anti-air there. I mean, who in the world seriously would pull a burster max in a 6v6? Bring that up to a 48v48 though, and you'll see a lot more flak and g2a locks everywhere, since there's just more people and more people.
  5. Armcross

Get good and galaxy won't be look like Overpower dragon, instead it would be looking like a big cert piñata.
  6. FieldMarshall

One burster max would be enough to lock it down.

Especially in smaller fights where every player counts (like for example a 6v6)
    Think of it this way. You spend 1 player to remove everyone in the Galaxy from the battle.
    So its more of a 4v5+1 max or even 3v5+1 max.

Me. Or anyone who doesent want to get farmed.
    • Up x 1
  7. Sulsa

Sounds to me like the OP is not on the side that understands Planetside 2.
    CoD and Starwars Battlefront has some sweet balanced gameplay, Bro.
    • Up x 2
  8. Reclaimer77

Anyone saying one Burster Max can possibly be effective against a Battle Galaxy is smoking some strong stuff.

Or just being a liar.
    • Up x 1
  9. AxiomInsanity87

Easy to deter one.

You don't have to destroy it to take it out of the battle. The gal is a f tonne of certs for OTHER peoples effectiveness and ftw so it should be tough.
  10. Armcross

No I'm not smoking, just know how to use air deterrence.
    • Up x 1
  11. Reclaimer77

What happens in the real game:

-Burster Max starts firing at Gal.

-Gal has enough health to stop, hover, let his gunners find Burster Max and promptly wreck him into the dirt.

-Gal meanders off to repair the 10% damage loss the Burster managed to inflict.

Now I guess in your guys book that was some awesome and fun "deterrence" of air, but ummm, no.
    • Up x 1
  12. AxiomInsanity87

1 burster max shouldn't be destroying a fully crewed and certed gal anyway.

That's why 3 are better.
  13. ObiVanuKenobi

If the galaxy has only 2 people in it pull a tb liberator or a hornet/lolpod esf and it's a free kill.
  14. Stigma

For a 2-man galaxy a single burster max is a non-issue aside from that you now have a (fairly long) time-limit for just hovering with your bulldog. If he's not inside the spawn-shield you just kill it no-contest. You can work fairly easily with 2 also. you can tank that damage for a considerable amount of time.

The issue is mainly just the huge HP pool and lack of scaling weapons for those sorts of targets - even dumfire rockets result in minor damage to a galaxy. Tanks and tankbusters/daltons are pretty much the only sources of damage that can deal it fast enough to really catch you off-guard.

This makes them extremely effective and safe farming machines on the offense where your team already controls the outside area of the base. Few if any tanks/air to deal with - and nothing inside the base can really threaten you very much.

I always though it would make more sense for galaxies to have some some defensive ability to allow them to survive insertion into enemy bases (as far as I see that's why they have such high HP - not to act as battleships).

-Stigma
    • Up x 1
  15. Taemien

The situation you're talking about means the 6 enemy are probably squaded. If the 6 defenders are squaded, then you wouldn't be making this post.

Group > Solo

Because a group is greater than the sum of its parts.

Think about it. If there is 2 in the Galaxy, you're getting wrecked by only 4 on the ground. There's always ways to go building to building and you can largely ignore the Gal. But it means you have 4 working in concert. Even two players talking is going to beat 6 solo players.

In this case you're actually largely outnumbered. Best to just let them have the base and redeploy to another fight. You were beaten the moment you logged in and decided not to press P.
  16. Reclaimer77

Come off it. Nothing that "flies" should be that armored. It's absurd.

The Liberator and Galaxy are everything wrong with "force multiplier" ********.
  17. FateJH

Now, you see, that's entirely the wrong way to go about using a single Burster MAX (that is, just one MAX, not a single Burster arm; darn terminology) against a Galaxy. You sound like you're treating it the same as you would in a large group fight, when you should be treating it like a arena-scale boss battle in a single-player game. All you sound like you'd be doing like that is meandering around in a static sack of experience for someone else.

In fact, shooting at it long enough without breaking fire to let it reliably zero in on your position, and especially not to judge how its gunners are operating and how the Gal is contorting, is where it all starts going down, assuming your first position was clever in the first place. Since the Galaxy can't repair itself without having a second Galaxy or getting an Engineer on top of it (and he's been very exposed to flak), you're biggest point of advantage is getting it to the point where it tries to pull out. It's no longer trying to get its gunners into ideal positions and, in the course of trying to get to a position where you can not engage it, it will probably have crossed such a distance that it's return will easily be noticed, and that gives excellent chance for the rare face-planting against it that you seem to be implying the need to do.

If you have to shoot from under it, use buildings as cover and reposition yourself regularly. You're behaving more like a guerilla than a stationary platform, or, like I suggested, a classic boss battle. You'll also have to keep track of where the enemy is on the ground. In most bases, spawn is always a suitable location to hit a Galaxy. If you're engaging from a distance, stick close to terrain cover that you can navigate easily but will also break line of sight, and keep track of other mobile targets while you shoot at it. If it goes after you, you've already managed to make it break from being a mobile spawn point that looms over your base; if not, it will eventually follow the same course of action as the last, and moving into a position where you can't reach it to repair.

As always, the goal is not to kill but to keep it from being complacent and stable. In reality, you should be providing distraction and time for another ally equipped in an A2A ESF or a Liberator (of almost any sort of loadout) to make ti to your position. Remember that it won't be a one-on-one fight, so normal balancing between priced-equipment go out the door. You've got at least one pilot, one gunner, and maybe they are coordinating with one person on the your capture point.
  18. Taemien

Its SciFi. It happens.

At least its not BattleTech where VSTOL aerospace can have as much armor and weapons as Tanks and BattleMechs in some cases.
  19. Reclaimer77

I don't need a "how to use the Burster" condescending lecture. I wouldn't even try to kill a Galaxy with a Burster, it was someone else suggesting it.

I already know the best way to use a Burster: Don't. They're garbage units.
  20. Reclaimer77

So where is our SciFI uber AA weapons? That's what I'm saying. A2G balance in this game is just SO broken.